Tube Pre-Amplifier, Diy?

Go down

Tube Pre-Amplifier, Diy?

Post by Spectrum on Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:10 pm

Hi people! First an excuse to Bill, My camera broke and i couldn't get you pictures of that old radio Yet... (Soon though!)

So Now to my Idea, I Wish to make an Tube Preamplifier, I got Loads, i Mean Loads of expensive Legendary Solid State Receivers and Amplifiers, And thought, that I'd maybe just want an Tube Pre-amplifier for now, so what i have are Sockets, and Several Tubes Including EL84's and ECC83's which could do already, i Ordered a Bunch of different Capacitors and Would Love to make the phone thing powered through 12v DC, if Possible. Do you Guys maybe have any Idea?

Spectrum

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2013-09-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Tube Pre-Amplifier, Diy?

Post by N7ZAL on Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:49 pm

There are many schematics and articles out there. If you are talking 12VDC, then you could use a vibrator type power supply to keep things vintage. That would get the voltage up to wherever you might need it. Possible?
N7ZAL

Number of posts : 501
Registration date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Spectrum on Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:53 pm

N7ZAL wrote:There are many schematics and articles out there. If you are talking 12VDC, then you could use a vibrator type power supply to keep things vintage. That would get the voltage up to wherever you might need it. Possible?
Well, I would love an Very Basic tutorial. But thats not Possible haha, so if you guys have a good one, I'd love a link!

Spectrum

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2013-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:08 pm

This explains a bit about vibrator power supplies. The vibrator supplies the fluctuating voltage necessary to drive a transformer.

http://www.radioremembered.org/vpwrsup.htm
75X11

Number of posts : 4896
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:40 pm

Welcome to TRF. I'm not sure that we have made our proper howdies.

Perhaps if you would be good enough to specify what type of "expensive Legendary Solid State Receivers and Amplifiers" you have, we could suggest something more suited to the equipment you are accustomed to.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5166
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:13 am

In the back of RCA (and possibly other) tubes manuals, there are schematics and parts lists for all kinds of electronic equipment. Amps, pre-amps, radios, intercom sets and such. You might get ahold of such a manual and see if there is anything there that would work for you.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5166
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:42 pm

Here's a thought...

Why mess with vibrators and high voltage? Take advantage of the fact there are low cost "space-charge" tubes out there that were oh-so common in the late 1950s when car radios made the change towards hybrid designs. Space charge tubes do not require high voltage potential on their plates for ample emissions. You won't get super high power amplification, but for a pre-amp, I bet you could get the job done just right.

Here's some idea starters:

http://meatexz.com/engel-sound/space_charger.html

http://www.junkbox.com/electronics/lowvoltagetubes.shtml

http://www.beavisaudio.com/projects/TubeCricket/

Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 937
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by 276merc on Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:39 am

I agree about the 12VDC space charge tubes. The gain is low so 2 stages may be needed to drive a decent power amp. The auto radios used a germanium power transistor for the output and were lucky to get 2-4W out.

Carl

276merc

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2013-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down