RCA Victor 6-T-86

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

RCA Victor 6-T-86

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:47 am

I found this tv console on Craigslist. I asked Bill what he thought and he was basically concerned that the picture tube had been converted.

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/atq/4025414618.html

I really like this rig. If you look at the pictures of factory literature the owner posted, there is one picture of the tv with a mask that is flat on top and bottom. The other picture shows a CRT and mask that is more rectangular, much like the picture of the tv in its current condition. The specs the owner posted say that the tv is supposed to have a 16" CRT. The one currently in the set looks bigger than that to me. I passed on one similiar in Phoenix last year, but it did not have FM. This one has both record changers, which I think is different. It is mahogany finish and the wife would put up with it if I really want it. Thanks for your opinion and input, Bill, but I am not convinced that this is not something I would like to mess with for grins. The price is a tad high, but considering that it is supposed to work and the cabinet is okay, the price might not be so bad for something that should be an easy restoration. Bill also mentioned something about the chassis being less than desirable. Could somebody fill me in on a reason to pass on this one? It is quite a hike from my house to where it is, so I want to make the trip count. The owner wants to trade it for some fence, so he may be getting desperate. Thanks, everybody.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5164
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Re: RCA Victor 6-T-86

Post by mr_ed01 on Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:56 am

Sams lists 2 versions of the 6-T-86. Sams set 122 folder 8 is a round tube version, set 134 folder 9 is a rectangular version that looks much like the TV in your Craigs List ad.

mr_ed01

Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2012-03-16

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:25 pm

If you use the dimension of a 45 disc as a reference, it looks close. It would certainly be a nice piece of furniture and the turntables/radio would probably be relatively good performers if restored.
75X11

Number of posts : 4894
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:04 pm

Thanks, you guys for your input. This thing is really tempting.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:07 pm

I've been thinking up a practical way to make up a mask for sets that would allow a reversible way to use a flat screen in a set such as that.  The reason would be with the original mask the contact surface with the crt is necessarily uneven and looks bad from the side.  This would, as nearly as possible, rest against a flat screen.  The main drawback would be that the viewing area would be the size of a computer monitor even if the whole set area were opened up.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:39 pm

That's a good way to ruine originality. All I can say is if you  like it, buy it. That is the best of three models. I have the cheapest one. Looks like they did a good mob, so, it may very well play again, after rebuilding, of course..... Mind you, replace those 1kv caps with at least the same voltage, and, take hv cage apart. They have mor inside the back behind the flyback.
At least I have had enough experience with these beasties that I should be able to help you with all the bugs they get.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4594
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:40 pm

Just wondering... Did you buy it?? It does have a nice cabinet.............

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:01 pm

I haven't yet. I'm gonna hate myself if I don't, though.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:39 pm

I am getting closer. Playing phone tag with the owner. Wife is on board. One teeny problem has arisen. This thing is 39" tall and the Tahoe is only 36" in the door. Can I lay this thing down with the CRT facing down? Thanks.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:06 pm

The TV chassis is definitely a Bill Question. Isn't that 45 player/ radio combo a slide out unit? If it is, that would have to be attended to.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:08 pm

The phono drawers would have to be secured, as well as the tone arms and such. My concern at this point is that I can't get it in my rig standing up. Typical of Craigslist sellers, I gotta be ready to pull the trigger when (and if) I get there. Thanks, 75. I am hoping that Bill chimes in as well.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:51 pm

The heaviest thing in that set is the entire tv, especially the picture tube. Radio, and, the other two spd changer are on drawers. You also have to worry about the neck on the picture tube, which sticks out.
You might have a problem there. Why don't you rent a Uhaul trailer??
I'm also worried if they still used the pho finnish on the doors on that one, as they did on the other two, I have the cheap 6T84. Three doors.
One bg one for tv and, spker. One skinny one finnishing covering tv, and, other big one covering 45  player, and, AM radio, Two spd. Changer, and, record storage on bottom.
The one you want has an am fm radio.
I must admit that besides the lighted tuner escutcheon on tv, I am always drawn to the  red Power on at the bottom front of cabinet.
I really like that............
TV uses it's own power siupply, and, radio has its' own, plus, amplifier for both phonos, radio, and, tv.
Radio MUST be on to get tv sound............

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:15 pm

I'm GUESSING that there is photofinish on the doors. Veneer like that would aggravate the bean counters. Even though that thing cost as much as a cheap Chevrolet in 1950. Do the phono drawers come completely out and disconnect? IF they ever call me back, I think I will make more appropriate arrangements. No sense getting careless and damage something. This is the model with FM. Can this set really weigh 177 pounds? That sounds awful heavy to me. There is no U-Haul dealer between here and there. I live in the sticks. I may have to improvise. Thanks for all your input, guys.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:24 pm

Set's probably heavier now, due to change in picture tube. Everything unplugs from back of radio chassis. The drawers will come out if you remove screws on back of slides keeping them in.
Only 177 lbs? It's the better model. Mine would be more like that weight.
Mine is also much smaller.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:29 am

Some cautiously good news. I talked to the lady of the house that owns this set and I have made an appointment to see it Tuesday 10-1. She explained how the screen lights up, but "you can't watch those old tv's anymore. The government has banned their use nowadays. It has one of those glowing fuses in the back that is bad, and it takes like 5 minutes for it to come on." The record players and radio work, but she has no records to play on it. The last time she played a record, it took long enough to start playing that the record was half over before she heard music. Obviously a fan of solid state, i'd say. I am cautiously psyched.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:55 am

Don't plug it in. Filters, and, paper caps are shot. That's in everything...
If cartridges are good, that's a miracle in itself. If so, take extra caution. They are crystal, nearly impossible to find good, and, heat, banging around, and, rough handling ruines them easily..
Please don't plug that thing in.. She may have even dammaged it. Glowing fuse must be the 5U4 rect. arcing from bad electrolytics....
I know alot about these sets. Been working on these tv, and, radio chassis's for mny years.............

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:00 am

It's good that that the cabinet looks so good. It will cover up the work in progress in the restoration.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:03 am

Hey, if it's too much to handle, you can trade it to me.. I live in St. Pete, Fl., you know........

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:30 pm

The "fuses" she was talking about were the tubes. This lady, although very nice and accomodating, is the epitome of what I refer to as the "cell phone generation." She is beyond totally clueless about this old electronic stuff. She thinks that the snow you see when a tv is on with no antenna hooked up is a signal that the government sends out to ban the use of old tv's! New tv's, apparently, do not have snow. I fully expect that neither record changer will be functional, with trashed needles and defunct cartridges. The tv screen will probably light up, but, of course, with no analog signal available, the tv will not actually "work." The FM radio will probably be the only feature that they have actually tried, and maybe even used. This rig was used as a platform to set their flat panel tv on. They bought it to make a wine cabinet out of it, but the husband cannot figure out what to do with the "hazardous waste" that make up the components of this tv. There is apparently an asbestos sheet in there somewhere that has this woman petrified with fear. Some recycling firm wants more to haul the thing off than they are trying to sell it for. It is really a shame that people nowdays have no concept of history and that their flat panel tv would not exist had it not been for this old RCA and its contemporaries. I plan to take my CRT tester with me and will not turn the unit on for testing. As long as the CRT is usable, you guys can talk me thru the rest. It goes without saying that all the caps and resistors, tubes and that stuff will get changed and/or tested before I run it. The cabinet is nice enough that it can set around for awhile without the frau getting upset. The record changers have been discussed ad nauseum, so the parts and expertise I need to get them going should be no problem. Thanks for your interest, guys, and we'll just wait and see what I find when I get there.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:54 pm

I've had a couple of wood cabineted radios that used asbestos sheets as diffusion material over the chassis where the heat is generated so there are no hot spots to affect the cabinet.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:32 pm

I either pull the asbestos sheet out and toss it into the trash, or, if its stuck really good, put a couple seal coats of shellac over it. My guess is that the asbestos sheet is in the tv chassis compartment, but I have no idea for sure.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:56 pm

No asbestos in this set at all. The "Hazzardous waste" is the picture tube... Interesting, the new light bulbs they are making us buy, and, use, are on that list, and, we are told that we must call hazzmatt to rid the bad bulbs. Boy, that will be expensive!
That's all the politickin' I'ma doin' heah.
Just an explanation on how bad it's gonna be.

By the way, not meaning to steal your thread, have you seen the latest today? All computerized appliances are starting by themselves, showing not good things on read out, then, catching fire.
Not good.
We'd better go back to making our own stuff.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:55 pm

Well, guys, here's how it is. I have good news and bad news.

The good news is that I had business in the area this tv set was in, so it did not require a special trip to see it. And it is an RCA.

The bad news is that nearly everything about the Craigslist ad I posted is bogus.

In went prepared. I took my CRT tester, a couple pocket screwdrivers and a quarter inch nut driver. And my little Maglite. The first thing I noticed when I got to looking at the set was the CRT mask. This one was the traditional type that was flat at the top and bottom. The CRT in the ad is obviously rectangular. He had taken the back off and I noticed the correct RCA branded metal round CRT and there was no brightener. The chassis looked good, no rust, just the usual dust. No goo oozing from the flyback as best I could see. I asked about why this set looked different from the one on Craigslist. The owner told me that his wife had taken a picture of a 6-T-84 off the 'Net and posted it because it was too dark to take pictures in the basement. That proved true, since I took some pictures that are entirely too dark to be usable. I tested the CRT and it would only move the needle on my B&K tester to about half way into the "BAD" range on the tester. It was only on there for two or three minutes, as I was rapidly wearing out my welcome with the owner.

The cabinet was not nearly as nice as the one in the ad. The photofinish was okay, but not great. The top of the cabinet was horrible, had a big gouge, and needed refinished. One side had bad finish on it as well. The spring tension on the drawer with the tuner and amp in it was too loose and allowed the knobs to come forward too far and gouge four nice marks in the cabinet door. Since Bill is so fond of the little red pilot light on these RCA sets, I checked this one out. The bulb was black, probably burned out. The biggest immediate problem I saw was that the power cord was burned in two. See in the ad where they say that it works? How could that be with the power cord burned in two? The owner told me that they had plugged it in when they got it five years ago (paid $150) and it had "sparked" and they unplugged it. The condition of the record players is unknown. He told me that they had never gotten a picture on the tv. I pointed out that the ad said that it "lights up." He pointed at the dial on the tuner and said that it was what lighted up. And even that was five years ago.

The bottom line is that this thing is basically a parts set. Nice chassis. Both tv and tuner/amp. Okay photofinish and really nice grille cloth. Good speaker. Cabinet that needs refinished. Unknown, but probably good CRT. Unknown flyback. Known high voltage problem, hence no light in the CRT. Probably two dead changers, needing cartridges, needles and the usual service. Unknown tuner condition, but no reason to doubt that it is repairable. The tag with the model number is torn in two. The guy wants to sell. No doubt about that. He knows squat about it and cares less. I passed. The hunt is still on. A good one is out there.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:56 pm

I wish I had the parts.

Admin
Admin