Vintage Radio Shack AM Transmitter

Go down

Vintage Radio Shack AM Transmitter Empty Vintage Radio Shack AM Transmitter

Post by Guest on Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:42 pm

I know I can build one, but I would love to have one of these;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121175128569?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1431.l2649#ht_99wt_1255

I watched one a few weeks ago soar passed $100 and now there are 3 more with two of them set to expire in a few hours and are well passed the $100 mark.

Why are people paying so much for this stuff?

Back to top Go down

Vintage Radio Shack AM Transmitter Empty Re: Vintage Radio Shack AM Transmitter

Post by mr_ed01 on Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:07 pm

And without the tubes! Probably need one of those 'black plate'
12AX7's for it.

mr_ed01

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2012-03-16

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:36 pm

Nostalgia. They are recapturing the fond memories of their youth. That is a neat little unit. Wonder how much it would cost to make a replica these days?
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4468
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:11 pm

I have some old NRI books from the late 30s to early 40s. There was a diagram and instructions on how to build one using one or two tubes. It looked like it had very few parts. There was also a record player I think made in the 40s that had one built in. This is the one I think the kit AES sells was modeled after.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1392
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:50 pm

I'm not certain why one would want to spend that much money on one of those or for that matter, build one. For the price that is going for you could by the SStrans transmitter and have the joy of building it. It draws very little power, I run mine on a timer that turns it on at around 10 in the morning, along with my FM tuner (solid state) and shuts down at midnight. No worries. If I want to listen to CDs, I turn off the tuner and turn on my 22 CD stacker. Of course I can also run my ipod through it. No muss, no fuss and no worry about it running unattended. I can understand the nostalgia of something tube but not the worry about it running unattended. I like my old radios but I too like to listen to something other than AM that is quite limited in my area and none of my old radios other than my Scott 800B and shop have any type of "long" wire. Most have perhaps 2FT and pick up that little transmitter just great. As does my neighbor.
Just my opinion.
Regards, Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 703
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:33 pm

Actually, home am oscilators used to be somewhat popular. I oned had one from the mid to late thirties. Used a single 6A7 tube. Motor provided filament voltage, and, a selenium rectifier was inside the motor. Chassis was B- off line. Nasty.
I have ther remains of one produced by Motorola in 1946. Pot metal changer was beyond repair. I kept, and, for awhile used oscilatr. In fact, I tried it last year, and, it still worked. I had re built it about thirty years ago. It's a two tube with power transformer. A 6SA7 was oscilator, and, a 6J5 was the rectifier
RCA, and, GE made them, and, I believe Admiral made one as well. Plus a myriad of odd makes...

I added a matching input trassformer to mine so I could add an amplifier stage. It makes for better fidelity.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4455
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:36 pm

I forgot. Zenith made an odd. One. It was an oscilator, but, used a tube to put the sound through a speaker as well. It was a three tube unit. Never could get it to work. It was missing parts when I got it. I guessed on it, and, was wrong.
It didn't blow up, but, it didn't work, either.
It had an oscilator coil, and, a small adjustable capacitor.
Couldn't get anything more than a low hum in the speaker. Oh, well.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4455
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:29 pm

OK, no answer to my questions?  Why should I spend my time here? Perhaps they were not appropriate?
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 703
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:36 pm

jerryhawthorne wrote:OK, no answer to my questions?  Why should I spend my time here?  Perhaps they were not appropriate?
Jerry

Jerry........I'm confused.......I read your post and enjoyed it but forgive me, I don't see a question.

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:51 pm

I already posted my guess. I like to listen to what is on the air most of the time. To listen to otr I use my CD usb/Mp3 deck and play them through my amp.
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:15 am

There used to be a microphone with instructions and a tube socket.  You plugged in the socket, replaced the tube, and it turned the set oscillator into a transmitter. I swear this is true because I had one.
Another time a friend and I, having absolutely NO idea what we were doing, hooked the Allied transmitter output to a 20 watt juke box amp. We hooked that to my shortwave long wire.  I don't remember how we grounded it.  And I REALLY have no idea why it didn't explode and kill us.  It reached from my house to the local burger hangout.  Some parent finally shut us down when we started broadcasting telephone calls.  I guess it was that experience that eventually led to me being "Terry the Pirate" for almost two years.
(You didn't hear that from me-Rolling Eyes)
terrydec
terrydec

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:30 am

BTW, FYI- there is a site on ARF that is dedicated to home brew AM transmitters.  I forget who, but one of the members supplies all of the parts to build a one or two tube transmitter.  I built one but never could get it to work right; must be my radioactive personality.  Anyway, that would be a good place to start.  Another is the 117N7.  It is a complete transmitter in a tube.
it has a line voltage filament, oscillator and beam power output.  I think that's the tube. There are several schematics online.

I finally got tired of messing with AM and bought a Ramsey FM 25.  I've played it almost constantly for two years and it still sounds great.  I feed an old set of rabbit ears and listen to music anywhere in my house.
Sorry, I didn't mean to get off the subject, but check out the 117 volt tube designs
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:52 am

Here is a little Item I got for use in my work van.  You can plug in a usb flash drive or sd card with mp3 music and it transmits fm stereo to the vehicles' radio.

http://www.amazon.com/PYLE-PLMP3C1-Wireless-Transmitter-Modulator/dp/B0037WV80Y/ref=sr_1_71?ie=UTF8&qid=1379652388&sr=8-71&keywords=car+mp3+fm+transmitter
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:20 pm

There used to be a cassette holder that had some kind of converter, or transmitter- something like that, that did something like that.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:10 pm

jerryhawthorne wrote:I'm not certain why one would want to spend that much money on one of those or for that matter, build one.  For the price that is going for you could by the SStrans transmitter and have the joy of building it.
I'll try to answer your question Jerry. I'm going to answer it matter-of-fact.

The reason is, there are multiple reasons.

-This is a well published, well known design/kit. People know it works when assembled correctly, built from scratch or restored.

-Nostalgia. People are always trying to "escape" to a simpler time, especially in today's world. Also, for those that were around (not me), they most likely had this (these style) kits when they were children/teens/young adults. It's thrilling to find the one that was foolishly thrown in the garbage when interest waned.

-Those that are into "this stuff" are excited to find something vintage, something tubes, and something that really works whether they had one in their earlier years or not.

-It's "really" eBay season. I've been watching eBay and have focused on selling. I have (2) major hobbies, old electronics/electronics and vintage automobiles. I've been seeing prices go crazy since 2012. It hasn't been limited to just the "holiday season buying time".... I don't know what is really going on. I hear/see/read/experience how bad the economy is/still-is and yet I'm seeing some of the highest frenzy bidding on eBay since the late 1990's. I guess those who have the $$ are gonna spend it now.

That's my take. It's an observation opinion. Everyone is welcome to his/her own. I will agree with you, I really like my SSTRAN that has been running in my detached garage 24/7 since 2006 and there isn't any tube technology (practical to the hobbyist) that could out-perform it, feature or reliability wise.

Dr. Radio
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:11 pm

I second nostalgia as well. I was at the Nashville meet and one of the fellows had a toy 65 ford truck with a novelty radio built in a camper that went with the truck. If it had been any other vehicle I would have passed it by. I have a 66 ford truck that is almost like it and I like to go camping. I looked at it once there and came back to it. I bought it and paid way more than I usually do but it was in almost perfect condition and I had a real one. So if someone was a kid when it came out and had one that was lone gone they may pay way more than it is worth.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1392
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:19 pm

I'll bet it would also aid in allowing the little ones to see how grandad did it in the good old days. Very Happy 
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:26 pm

I sell lots of stuff on eBay, especially vintage microphone cables that I assemble, and I have found one thing.  Don't even try and sell in the summer.  I have no idea why; but I sold 4 cables all summer, and 4 cables in the last two weeks.

P.S Yeah, I've heard that if you want a stable AM transmitter go with the Sstrans
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:49 pm

Cabin fever always stimulates sales.
75X11
75X11