Help Me Identify these? ***Tube Related***

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Help Me Identify these? ***Tube Related***

Post by Spectrum on Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:02 pm

Hey there Tube People! First off let me say thanks for this cool forum, really interesting stuff you got up here! I'm Spectrum, Nice to meet you all!
You People see, I live and study in denmark, and back in middleschool, where i was an annoying little boy who would take everything apart i befriended a cool guy who would have a little place in the city, with little wooden houses where he stored Tons of cool oldschool electronics, now, seven years after i went there, the place lays abandoned, with all his stuff left, I contacted him and he said i could have it, including many other things, but what woke my attention where these, (see attached images) and Now i want to know what they are, they seem like Monoblocks, as they got one channel input and one speaker out, Would anyone tell me what this really is, and if its worth Fixing?

Spectrum

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2013-09-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Help Me Identify these? ***Tube Related***

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:29 pm

Welcome to TRF, Spectrum. I'm not sure if I would strictly call those audio related, or, not, but, look like the could possibly be either RF amplifiers, or, stereo Multiplex adaptors. I wouldn't be too quick to either trash them, or, rebuild them, yet.
Look for mannufacture'r's names, chassis numbers, models, whatever. And, look for writing by each jack telling what they are used for...
Good luck with it.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4538
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Spectrum on Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:36 pm

Bill Cahill wrote:Welcome to TRF, Spectrum. I'm not sure if I would strictly call those audio related, or, not, but, look like the could possibly be either RF amplifiers, or, stereo Multiplex adaptors. I wouldn't be too quick to either trash them, or, rebuild them, yet.
Look for mannufacture'r's names, chassis numbers, models, whatever. And, look for writing by each jack telling what they are used for...
Good luck with it.
Thank you for the Reply Bill! I took good looks at them, tho i don't have them here right now. their chassis where made in denmark, and all tubes in the Two circuits without the Transformer where Mullard Ones, that was as far all i could see on them, they had lots of "new looking" resistors underneath them, along with some spiders and bugs. Hehe.

Spectrum

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:05 pm

Yucky, Pooey!
May I see the bottom of chassis, minus bugs??
They still might not be worth fixing, but, hey, they're free..
You've got tubes there..................

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Spectrum on Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:08 pm

Bill Cahill wrote:Yucky, Pooey!
May I see the bottom of chassis, minus bugs??
They still might not be worth fixing, but, hey, they're free..
You've got tubes there..................
I'll take pictures for you Tomorrow Bill! I also got a Tandberg radio from him, but that smoked off instantly as we tried plugging it in, i got a Variac now though! wont happen again!... i hope.
What i also got where other radios, and 17 amplifiers and receivers from the late 60's to 70's! including 1200+ tubes in Huge Boxes, some of them cracked though, since not all where packed well. ): But i'll sure keep posting about the stuff here! it should be interesting!

Spectrum

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:24 pm

Spectrum, welcome and that is interesting. I agree with Bill, not audio related. It looks like two of the three have connections on the back that would indicate they slid into some chassis that would interconnect with them. Kind of like the early Tek scopes that had modules that would slide in. Certainly not a Tek scope but something that would receive those blocks.
Good luck on identifying but will all those adjustable cans it had something to due with frequency related matters far beyond normal radio.
Good luck, Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 732
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony V on Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:27 pm

They look to me like the "unitized" chassis' that go in the old Setchel Carlson B/W tv's of the late 50's. You would unplug the defective chassis and take it to the shop to be repaired instead of taking the whole tv in.
Tony V

Number of posts : 620
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:50 pm

Welcome to TRF!

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:03 pm

I agree with Tony. Again, they aren't really audio related. Looks like video sectio of a Setchel Carlson tv on third glance...

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:42 am

They may be IF strips for military or ham gear. Those square connectors (molex?) would definitely not be in the audio field per say. look, it has BNC connectors, not TV related as those were usually RCA jacks. IF cans are a clue, also look at the white ceramic crystal socket, that was exposed so frequencies could be changed. TVs crystals were usually soldered in.

Rust is a big clue so Avoid them,
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 976

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:08 am

Not on color sets. They had plug in color crystals.
However, I'm not decided what it was. But, I definately do not think they are worth repairing.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ron Pond on Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:51 am

Resistance is Futile wrote:They may be IF strips for military or ham gear. Those square connectors (molex?) would definitely not be in the audio field per say. look, it has BNC connectors, not TV related as those were usually RCA jacks. IF cans are a clue, also look at the white ceramic crystal socket, that was exposed so frequencies could be changed. TVs crystals were usually soldered in. Rust is a big clue so Avoid them,
Those square connectors are known as Jones plugs (and sockets) and were used in British and European military and commercial equipment. They were also used in the famous Quad tubes amplifiers as their input connectors.

Many different multiples of lugs from 4 to at least 16 connections.

Google Image has many pics.....just type in "Jones plugs and sockets" Also Google "Quad amplifier" to take a look at the Jones plug there.

Ron.
Ron Pond

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Ferguson on Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:58 pm

Spectrum, Welcome to TRF. The pictured chassis' have BNC connnectors as well as a crystal socket plus a strip of IF cans. Appears to me to be something like RF filtering/shaping,amplifying type of strips. ????? lots of speculaton.
Don
Don Ferguson

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2013-04-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Spectrum on Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:42 pm

Hey People! thanks for all the wonderfully active and helpful feedback! i went to this old friends house last night, he gave me alot of things he wanted me to have, including some huge tubes and lots of amplifiers and an old tube radio. But yes, the things here are a part of a Millitary communication system used on Aircrafts, or alike sea-transports. He gave it all to me, including them, I dont know if i can find use for them, but ill keep them, for the Memories.

Spectrum

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top