Antenna question

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Antenna question

Post by bcaclock on Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:09 am

My repair shop is in a metal building so naturally reception is very limited. Using a long wire antenna works for communication receivers such as Hallicrafters but for just inexpensive receivers with no connection for an outside antenna, is there any way to use an active antenna booster to enhance the reception for repair work? And if so what is it.
bcaclock

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Antenna question

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:16 am

First off, welcome to TRF!

My shop has a metal roof, and I live in a hollow, so I empathize with you. I have a 100 foot outside antenna made in an "L" shape. For my little radios with no antenna connection, I made a radiation loop on the wall of my shop. The loop looks like the antenna found in small radios, only larger. It is about 4' in diameter and has approximately 12 turns of wire. I used single strand hookup wire, but most any kind of wire should work. This loop is behind the shelves that I display my small radios on. I don't have to do anything extra except hook this radiation loop to the outside antenna, which is just an alligator clip.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5175
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

AM Select-A-Tenna signal booster

Post by dan88king on Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:32 pm

I have used this big round brown Select-A-Tenna unit, sold by the C. Crane Company of Fortuna, CA, and it boosts an AM standard broadcast radio's reception amazingly. There is a basic model that doesn't require any wire connections to the radio, just placing it behind or at one end and rotaing it for the loudest reception, and there is another model with a small jack for a connecting cable for radios having an antenna connection terminal. I don't see these on the C.Crane website anymore, but I used to see them at thrift stores and the flea markets cheap. People didn't seem to know what they were used for. If you could work near a window, that would be better.
For an example of performance, I gave one of these Select-A-tennas to my sister who lived in McArthur, California. At about 3,000 fett altitude out in the open country, there were only two local AM stataions that could be listened to in the daytime, even on a good quality digital tuning radio. I placed the select-A-Tenna behind her radio at an angle, the way I was used to doing at home in the Bay Area, and tuned the radio to the AM band, for KGO at 810 KHz. There was absolutely nothing there. But when I rotated the Select-A-Tenna's tuing knob toward 810 KHz, KGO popped in just as if it was late at night, which had been the only time my sister could listen to talk radio on that station. They are only good for AM standerd broadcast.

Dan King

dan88king

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2013-10-17

Back to top Go down

Post by bcaclock on Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:14 am

Thanks Dan, I researched your answer and found a few of them on E-Bay.
Bob Brown
bcaclock

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top