Ice Maker replacement

Go down

Ice Maker replacement Empty Ice Maker replacement

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:52 am

I just got a nice 27 cf Amana side-by-side with water and ice on the door. I hooked it up last night after getting a kit with a saddle valve. This morning i go to check the ice bin and there is ice but has black crud in it. I'm thinking just maybe i need to clean the area that fills with water but that didnt help. So after a few hours i google my problem and find out that apparently the coating is wearing away on the unit. Apparently my only option is to change it out, which is something i've never done. I watched a video on a website on how to do it, but most of them make something difficult look easy. I'm just curious if anyone has changed them before and if i'm looking at a 10 minute job or an hour job? It will probably be 2 or 3 weeks before i get a replacement as i'm likely going to get a new one off ebay if i can get one for less than 50.00. I cant afford to pay 150.00+ for one from a hardware or appliance store.
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 647
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Ice Maker replacement Empty Re: Ice Maker replacement

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:22 am

The money you spend having a professional install an ice maker might be money well spent. I would not have a lot of faith that one I would get for a third the cost of a new one would be worth hauling home. It always costs me three times when I try to get a deal. Good luck.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:56 pm

Sure if i could afford to do that. The one i'm looking at is an aftermarket universal fit. It is just the ice maker and nothing else, which is why it is so cheap. I'm just trying to keep the cost down since the fridge was only 175.00 from a used appliance store and is likely 10-15 years old. If the ice maker lasts 1-2 years i will be happy since it was inexpensive. I plan to get one on amazon for 37.00 or the exact one on ebay for 43.00. I obtained the part number from sears.com by typing in the model of my fridge and then searched the part number to be certain i get the correct part.
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 647
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:36 pm

I have never changed one out so don't bank on my experience. One thing I have found is that "universal" replacements are seldom easy to do anything with. No matter what they are to replace. I wouldn't think that removal of the old should be too hard, only a water line and an electrical connection for the motor/timer to kick out the ice. Hopefully all removed from inside the fridge?
Oh heck, I went and looked at our double door with cube or crushed ice and cold water from the front. Nope, I will call in someone smarter than me and have a factory one installed. Either that or turn off the water and see if there is a place to put ice cube trays. We have all used those for years. I'm surprised that the black stuff is coming from the ice maker and not residual stuff in the lines that would eventually clean itself out.
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 702
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down