Photophone rca mi-9260 tube amp

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Photophone rca mi-9260 tube amp

Post by Highbury on Wed 4 Sep - 17:18

Hi have acquired an old rca amp from my father, anybody know anything about these? Would ideally like to restore. Thanks

Highbury

Number of posts: 7
Registration date: 2013-09-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Photophone rca mi-9260 tube amp

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed 4 Sep - 17:43

Welcome to TRF! There is lots of information available here and lots of friendly folks available to help you.

Typically , all vintage electronic gear will benefit from changing all the paper capacitors, all the electrolytic filter capacitors, checking all resistors for any that are out of tolerance and replacing as necessary, and testing all the tubes and replacing any that are weak. The electrolytic caps should absolutely be replaced before attempting to operate the amp. Expensive and hard to find parts may be damaged by running faulty filter capacitors. Are you going to be using this amp on a regular basis? What kind of equipment are you going to be using it with?

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts: 3042
Registration date: 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Highbury on Wed 4 Sep - 18:35

Not really sure what to do with it to be honest, kinda need some cash so may sell. Any idea on value. Think it came out of an old theatre/cinema.

Highbury

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony V on Wed 4 Sep - 21:08

Welcome to TRF!

Tony V

Number of posts: 437
Registration date: 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Wed 4 Sep - 22:58

Welcome to TRF. Many friendly people here. Was this amovie projector??

Bill Cahill
Admin
Admin

Number of posts: 3699
Registration date: 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Wed 4 Sep - 23:13

Welcome to the site! I usually do a quick online search to see if I can get a idea of what the unit looks like. I found this. I only post it for the pictures it has.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

75X11

Number of posts: 2550
Registration date: 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Highbury on Thu 5 Sep - 2:19

Yeh that's the one although its in a lot better condition! Pretty sure it was out an old cinema not sure on dates though.

Highbury

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Thu 5 Sep - 7:50

A few things come to mind. One is where are you located? Someone might be close to you from the board and want it. From some info I found on it the amp is probably heavy, I think it was over 100 pounds. That will cost a bit to send over packing up a tabletop radio. Another thing is if you are located close to a radio club someone might could suggest who to contact within the club to get the word out about it.

Another is price. Be realistic on price. Look for what they actually sell for instead of what someone wants for one. I have got to where I hardly ever buy from people and usually buy at meets. What happens is that people will see the picker shows and then want the prices they ask. Is it a stereo or mono amp, my guess is mono. A lot of people want stereo so they can use it for their home stereo. But a mono can be set up as a guitar amp so that is the crowd that may be interested in a mono amp.  As far as this amp goes I like it, if one was in my area I might check on it. But I wouldn't over pay for one just to have it. I have seen really nice ones similar to this not sale for much then one of the 60s magnavox stereo amps pulled from a cabinet go for high prices.But then is someone wants that style and era amp they may pay more for it. So its a game of how much you will let it go for VS what someone is willing to pay for it.

willy3486

Number of posts: 882
Registration date: 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Highbury on Thu 5 Sep - 16:56

Located in the south west of England think it might be worth a fair bit but just open to offers really.

Highbury

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu 5 Sep - 23:26

I would also look into placing ads with audio forums near to you. It is really difficult to guess who may take an interest in a good clean mono amplifier, but if you spread the word, the better your chances of connecting with the right party.

75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Highbury on Fri 6 Sep - 13:40

Might just stick it on eBay anybody know what kind of reserve I should put on it?

Highbury

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri 6 Sep - 17:33

Weigh that unit and work out the amount of padding and packaging and its weight. Get an estimate of shipping costs and the cost to put it up on ebay. Then add what you want for it. Take good pictures of the unit. People will risk little sight unseen.

75X11

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum