Got a nos 78 on ebay

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Got a nos 78 on ebay

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:03 pm

Just received a nos children's 10" 78 from ebay today. It's a late release of Golden Records.
Toyland is on one side, and, March of the toys is on other. Jacket: Mint.
Side one: Mint, Side two: Slight surface sound, but, barely heard. Nerer played before me..
The record is smooth, and, plays great. Unfortunately, it reminds me why I didn't like that label of record. The fidelity stinks, and, the singing is awful.
Oh, well..
But, it's a nos record, and, that you rarely see....
Bill Cahill Very Happy 

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4523
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Re: Got a nos 78 on ebay

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:49 pm

Back in the day, 'big name" recording artists recorded on Golden Records under pseudo-names. Frank Sinatra, Eddie Fisher, Patti Page, and Rosemary Clooney were the ones that come to mind. Patti Page was "Melody Jane" and Rosemary Clooney used her real name. I play those kiddie 78's on a GE stereo turntable taken from a console. I converted it to mono using a Shure Brothers mono cartridge. If you run the records thru a graphic equalizer and then feed that to my computer software, they come out sounding really good, and free from noise. The biggest issue with Golden Records is that they were made of "unbreakable" soft plastic, and were commonly reproduced on phonos with a steel needle and tons of tone arm pressure. Their life was relatively short in anything that we would consider good condition. They were never designed to still be around over 60 years after they were pressed. Good score, Bill. Enjoy

I have a Golden Records LP with all the common kiddie songs like "Teddy Bear Polka", "Little Red Monkey", stuff like that. It is a re-issue and is in mono. IIRC, Columbia Records owned or now owns Golden Records. It is a 12" record in the same soft yellow plastic that the 78's were made of. The Golden Records that I personally like best were produced by Mitch Miller or by Vicky Casen.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:20 pm

I have quite a few Mitch Miller, and, Mitchel Miller on golden.
I also have some favorits on red, and, yellow label columbias. Some come to mind.. "I want a hippopotomus for christmas", "Are my ears on straight?", "Marco the polo pony", "God bless us all", and, "Somethig barked on chirstmas morning".
Some of the children's stuff was quite expertly done, in my opinion....

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:23 pm

Something else. On Rockinghorse records, put out, and, owned by Golden there is one favorite lp I own.. It has some bad stories in it, but, some well done train songs as well, which incluedes "I've been working on the railroad", "Little red caboose", and, "Where do you worka, John?".

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:18 am

It's nice to see it came in one piece, too! Very Happy 
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:12 pm

You're telling me?? Last two were badly packed, and,are beyond repair. One was another good new old stock Children's record. "Hi diddle dee dee", and, "The little tin soldier, and, the little toy drum" on 10" yellow label Peter pan.
Jacket is mint. Record now has a wide open crack straight accross with chips out of recording. It's heavy "non breakable" plastic. It was shipped to me in an envelope.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kjq45 on Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:23 am

Nice find. I recently scored a Stonewall Jackson 78, Waterloo on Columbia. It's a Canadian release, at it was released on 45 in the US. Don't see may of these floating around.

kjq45

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2013-12-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top