87 tomos moped in need of repair

Go down

87 tomos moped in need of repair Empty 87 tomos moped in need of repair

Post by tuberadiogeek on Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:41 pm

There is a guy on my local CL trying to sell an 87 tomos moped that looks like its going to need some work. Apparently he started tearing down the engine to replace with an electric motor and states it has compression. He's wanting 100.00 for as it sets but i really do not think its worth that. I know it's next to impossible to get certain parts for mopeds especially when there is no dealer local to me. What do you guys think? http://limaohio.craigslist.org/mcy/3988362356.html
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 647
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

87 tomos moped in need of repair Empty Re: 87 tomos moped in need of repair

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:29 pm

It would be like having a pregnant girlfriend, a boat, or a race car. There would be two days you would enjoy it. The day you got it, and the day you got rid of it. Sounds like a bottomless pit for money, to me.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:44 pm

Wildcat445 wrote:It would be like having a pregnant girlfriend, a boat, or a race car.  There would be two days you would enjoy it.  The day you got it, and the day you got rid of it.  Sounds like a bottomless pit for money, to me.

Regards

WC
I couldn't agree more! Stay the heck away from that thing!

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:12 am

I figured but i'd thought i'd get a few other thoughts on it. It just reminds me of when me and a friend found a similar in the trash many years ago and we could only get it running by popping the clutch and a few minutes at a time. That was before i honed my knowledge of small engines but really do not know much about moped or motorcycle engines. I was thinking if i could get it for 50.00 i'd be OK but he seems to not want to budge off 100.00.
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:59 pm

The owner is doing you a huge favor by staying firm on his price. He knows he has a turd on his hands and is doing the old "Tom Sawyer" routine to try to snag a sucker. Your only two choices here are to either count your blessings, or dump a hunge down a rathole.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:21 pm

Apparently he started tearing down the engine

This should have been the first clue to run like hell! Wink 

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:24 pm

I know, but i was trying to make an attempt to get it for cheap transportation to and from school, but apparently that isnt going to happen...
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:54 pm

To be frightfully honest here, I have hauled, and will continue to haul, items (crap) home that either myself or the wife just know that I can fix and will be a valued asset to our already overgrown collection(s) of stuff. I have hauled home radios that have spent forty years UNDER the chicken coop. Electric fans that have been so damp that the copper wiring in the motor has turned green. I once restored a '56 Packard that we collected and weighed over 1200 pounds of mud dauber nests from the car. The radio had so many mud dauber nests in it that the tuner would not work! Mice and field rats had eaten all the stuffing out of the back seat. My wife bought a dresser at an auction that some idiot had taken a 41/2 inch grinder to the quarter-sawn oak in an attempt to "faux paint" the cabinet. It was a lovely lavender and green when we got it. The list is too lenghty to go into in detail. So far be it from me to discourage anyone who is making an attempt to fix an old neglected dog. More power to you, I say. The fact that someone had "torn apart" the engine, and that the item was of unknown brand and origin, and that parts were known to be next to impossible to obtain, it seems to me like this is one of those RARE times that even I would have run, not walked, from the deal.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:15 pm

It's also coming up on the time of year when it is definitely not fun to start and ride a motorized cycle. I had one in Germany, and winter, between making the wheels fly out from under you to making exposed flesh freeze, is a daunting prospect. But winter is the time to find a cheap running example. Make sure it is running!
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4453
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:23 pm

I would rather ride a motorized bicycle than a bicycle at any time. My knees are to the point they dont like long distance bike rides anymore. I have another one in mind that is complete, and was stored in running condition in a barn for a few years. They said the battery wires were no longer hooked up. AFAIK i thought all mopeds were either kick or push start, not electric start?
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:11 am

Most I have seen were push or kick. If it has electric start, all the better. But have a critical eye as to whether it starts or not.
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4453
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:27 pm

I dont mind a little work, in order to get one at a reasonable price but it has to run. I've also looked at 50 cc scooters as they are right in the same price range as mopeds. The only difference is they all run and most of the mopeds need work. I'm talking in the 200-400.00 price range. The "good" mopeds can reach 6-700.00 which i will not pay that for a moped.
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum