GE 221 a bit strange

View previous topic View next topic Go down

GE 221 a bit strange

Post by 276merc on Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:57 am

A bit strange to me anyway as it has a RF stage for the BCB but none for SW, talk about trying to save money!

This thing came to me 3rd hand by a guys brother who was let loose inside of it and is legally blind.

After fixing all the caps in the wrong places, missing caps with just clipped leads showing they were there, replacing 5 more paper caps and the usual 3 electrolytics I turned it on. Not a sound. A little probing showed the audio section worked and a voltage check showed the 12SG7 IF dead. Replaced it and it came to life but even after a full alignment the SW range was pretty dead so I grounded the 12SG7 cathode directly which helped a bit. Strange to find a tube 100% dead but the filament was OK. After a run thru with the Hickok 752A (all tubes except the 35L6 were original GE's with 1946 date codes) I wound up replacing all but the 35Z5 with NOS.

The BCB is now very sensitive and the 6-10mc SW is useable depending upon time of day but it has very poor image rejection even with just a 30' outdoor wire 10' above ground. The SW range seems to have been an afterthought.

Give me a well designed high tube count radio any day!

Carl

276merc

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2013-07-02

Back to top Go down

Re: GE 221 a bit strange

Post by 75X11 on Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:14 pm

Nice looking model. At least you built up your skills restoring the radio from the restoration.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by 276merc on Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:41 pm

Actually Ive been doing this as both a hobby and business for over 50 years. I mentioned it here since it fit the AA6 category and it might help someone else; the customer was estatic to get it back and phoned after hooking up a short outdoor antenna. I rarely work on the smaller sets as my speciality are the high tube count variety and communications receivers but that little GE was a good challenge.

Carl

276merc

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2013-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Ron Pond on Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:17 am

276merc wrote: Strange to find a tube 100% dead but the filament was OK.
Not that strange......I've found a number of tubes over the years with good heater continuity but the strap connection from the cathode sleeve to the lead out wire has separated, usually right at the spot welded cathode sleeve/strap tie point.

Most likely due to the heating/cooling cycle eventually causing a fracture at the tie point.

Ron.

Ron Pond

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top