should it be disturbed

Go down

should it be disturbed

Post by studebaker1 on Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:21 am

this tv is in nice shape it is a 1947 automatic radio 7 inch,   i bought it fourty years ago. it did work , it has been setting on the shelf every since. i have been thinking about redoing it , cant find much out about this tv,any advice would be appreciated.thanks robin

studebaker1

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2013-04-29

Back to top Go down

Re: should it be disturbed

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:01 pm

If you do restore it, be careful. And, it uses hv caps on it because picture tube is fed hv through socket. The set is worth restoring properly. Rare tv. If you are doing it for resale, it's not worth your while. Most collectors like to do their own work. If you were nearby, I'd offer to trade for your set. I like them. Though sorta plain, they are cute. By the way. It's an ac dc set. One side of line is on chassis.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4594
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by studebaker1 on Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:55 pm

hi Bill . thanks for your reply i have restored a few radios and then decided to tackle this old tv that i have had sitting on a shelf for forty years.i had a hard time finding a schematic for this set, i finally found one for a automatic p-490 set looks to be the same .so far i haven't done much i have cleaned all of the tubes re-soldered a disk cap. that was broken grounding out to the frame,cleaned the tuner ,and a good general cleaning. this set has four .005 mfd 6000v caps in it, they are pretty expensive. going at a slow pace i .will pick it up once i get all of the parts together. any help will be appreciated. thanks robin

studebaker1

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:11 pm

Honestly, if you aren't confortable with it, yet, you can ruine the value of the set, and, hurt, or, kill yourself with the high voltages. Perhaps you want to learn more before you tackle that set..
Not saying no. Just learn mofe, first.
That disc isn't likely original.
It's a line bypass.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:26 pm

How's the tv coming along??

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by studebaker1 on Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:10 am

hi Bill. i haven't checked in for a while, been busy. its too cold to do anything. good time to work on radios. the tv is going great , i recapped it, put in three new tubes ,a few resistors it came on and worked pretty good.i have a little hum in the audio, but i can live with that it could be my cable or converter box.i just started working on a Zenith k725 this is my best sounding radio yet. just waiting on some parts. thanks for checking in with me Robin

studebaker1

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:37 am

Congrats are in order..... See? TV's can be done, it takes time, patience, knowledge, and, extreme care.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down