Major problem in SW Minnesota, kind of like a EMP!!

Go down

Major problem in SW Minnesota, kind of like a EMP!! Empty Major problem in SW Minnesota, kind of like a EMP!!

Post by scottb on Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:59 pm

First of all from now on I am keeping a few hundred dollars cash hidden somewhere. A major fiber line was cut near St. James MN. All of the banks in our town can do no transactions, and all businesses cannot take debit or credit cards!!!! I have heard it is as far as Fairmont and Fulda MN!!!! Most businesses will not take checks as they just process them on the spot and hand the check back to you.
I am very lucky the girls in our local bank know me and let me cash a check as we are, were having a party at our house this weekend and I have not been to the store yet.
I also heard from one of the ladies at the bank that even prescriptions cannot be filled, in case of emergency and need one, you have to go to the hospital pharmacy.
Kind of scary how we are so dependant on computers and networks!!!!!
I was told the repairs will not be completed until Monday and as of right now my internet speed is not much faster than dial up.
The other thing I wonder about is all of the people with EBT cards, Electronic Benifit Card, If they are not stocked up on food, how will they eat??? Very scary thing!!

scottb

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Major problem in SW Minnesota, kind of like a EMP!! Empty Re: Major problem in SW Minnesota, kind of like a EMP!!

Post by fixinmyphono on Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:14 pm

The early 20th century is but a cut Cable away...Good luck hang tough!
fixinmyphono
fixinmyphono

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2011-09-13

Back to top Go down

Major problem in SW Minnesota, kind of like a EMP!! Empty Re: Major problem in SW Minnesota, kind of like a EMP!!

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:43 pm

When the highway was being made into four lanes here in Bugtussle, they cut the fiber optics cable that provides (I thought) Internet and tv services around here. It also shut down Walmart and the banks. We keep a couple hunge at home just in case. We are WAAAYYY to dependent on technology. The gas pumps around here operate on that fiber optics network. We could not buy gas for three days while repairs were made, regardless if we had cash or not. You are right, it is scary. Computer hackers or anyone intending to do us harm need only to attack our technological infrastructure, and we would be seriously in trouble.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4925
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:19 pm

Another problem here has been the copper termites stealing lengths of exposed trunk lines to secure their chemicals. the AT&T service has had outages at least once a week. I went with wireless internet service and VOIP. I guess they are more protective of the lines to cell sites.
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4468
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:07 am

Computer hackers or anyone intending to do us harm need only to attack our technological infrastructure, and we would be seriously in trouble.

That is absolutly correct! I'm not a doomsday prepper and I don't have a tinfoil hat, but I am well prepaired to live a few months without anything from the outside.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down