Improvised Signal Tracer

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Improvised Signal Tracer

Post by harold wright on Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:30 pm

Someone gave me a Panasonic RQ-830S portable 8 trk. player. Can be powered by 6 C cells or AC. The tape transport did not function, so I decided to make something usable from the amplifier. I disconn. the audio leads from tape head, added a shielded cable about 2 ft. long and made it into an audio signal tracer. Since the tape head output is so weak (millivolts ?) I knew the amplifier had considerable gain. I tested it by conn. a magnetic phono cartridge to the input leads and it worked fine. It could be a useful portable audio amp., esp. when dealing with weak audio signals. Maybe an amp. for a crystal radio?

Harold

harold wright

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2012-10-14

Back to top Go down

Re: Improvised Signal Tracer

Post by willy3486 on Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:02 am

One of the electronics mags of the late 70s/early 80s had a homemade signal tracer out of a old transistor radio. I made one and then made a 9 volt power supply to run it. I put it in a dead CB radio case. It still works great and I made it in the early 80s. If you are interested in it send me a email or PM with a direct email and I will send you the info. I like it a lot better than the store bought one I have at work. Your 8 track should work fine as one. you added a few parts like caps and tied it to the volume control IIRC.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:32 am

Make your self a probe and be sure to add a switch and a capacitor to block DC. with the switch add a diode for checking the RF and IF signals also. You should limit the input signal with a resistor for higher voltage signals to prevent overload of the signal tracer on its input. There are descriptions on the web on how to build RF probes.
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 976
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:37 am

Good job!
I used a cheap, relatively newer, pocket sized AM/FM radio. I have RF (using the radio's own RF and detectors circuits) and audio input wires with the blocking capacitors inside the case. I only hooked it up to use the AM band side, but I suppose it would work for FM, too, if I wired it that way. For front end work, I just inductively couple it to prevent loading, and listen for the beat frequency squeal of the local oscillator or I can tune it slightly off channel and see if the radio under test will "pull" it in to the channel I'm tuning on the tested radio.
Ragwire

Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2013-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top