Crosley model 25 AM/SW/Special services (1.5-5.0MHZ) console

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Crosley model 25 AM/SW/Special services (1.5-5.0MHZ) console

Post by tuberadiogeek on Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:07 pm

My mom just bought this console for 10.00 and i'm trying to find out anything i can about it. The tube line up is 5Y3,6SK7,6SQ7,6J5,6K6 and 6K6. It has a date of July 23,1940 stamped on it. It has an 8" speaker and a RCA 45 RPM phono below the chassis. I'm staring at Riders 12-17 which just doesnt look 100% correct. As the 6K6's are horizontal to each other not vertical and i am not seeing a 6A8 on this chassis. Although it is the correct freqs. http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByModel/320/M0003320.pdf
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 665
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Crosley model 25 AM/SW/Special services (1.5-5.0MHZ) console

Post by Tony V on Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:11 pm

First tip off to me that something isn't right is the fact its dated 1940 but has a 45rpm changer mounted in it which didn't come out until 1949 or newer. Perhaps some pictures of the unit might help in tracing down the correct model and year.
Tony V

Number of posts : 620
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:53 pm

Well i did a little more checking out and it does have a 6A8, it was just hidden. The first problem is the tuning, the shaft moves but the tuner does not. I can move it by hand though. I know it was obviously modified at one point. I have plugged it in, but first plugged it in my dim bulb tester to be sure it didnt have any sudden problems. Although it was a bit pointless since the previous owner already had it plugged in. I'll take some pictures shortly. I'd like to test the tubes, but all i have for a tester is a Seco GT-5 tester. Is there any way to test tubes on it that it doesnt list?
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:33 pm

It seems the speaker and/or the field coil could be bad. The cone is brittle to start with, and i could not get a reading on any of the speaker wires or get the cone to move with a almost dead (+/- 3V left) 9 volt battery. I know that can be an expensive thing to replace, but couldnt i use a 1K ohm power resistor and a PM speaker if the FC is bad? IDK how to check the FC. The OT could be bad also. I havent checked it for voltage since i havent touched the filter caps yet. As far as the phono in it, it is a RCA 45-J from 1949. It is missing the cartridge and needle assembly on the tone arm. It is spliced into one side of the power cord for the radio and i'm guessing the other side is on the 4th knob,likely tied into the main power switch. Then it appears the output wires are attached to screws 2 and 3 on the chassis. I havent inspected the underside of the chassis yet but will be probably tomorrow. I pulled my lower back muscles, so i'm limiting my bending/hunching over and lifting.

tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:05 pm

The field coil is a fairly high resistance that I connected in the B + supply of radio. That makes the magnetic field for the voice coil. Without being charged, you won't get sound. The way to test field coil is with an ohm meter. It will be different with different radios. Could be as low as 700 ohms, or, as high as 2500 ohms.
The schematic should tell the resistance. Speaker can be proffessionally re coned.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4539
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:44 pm

Once i pulled it, i was able to test the field and voice coil. They both tested good. I was also able to repair the cone with silicone. It will do for now. I will get a different speaker with the proper size field coil before i get it reconed. It is a Utah speaker made for Crosley.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:25 pm

Good luck. It was made specifically for that model radio. You might find one eventually, but, I think you'd be far better off getting it re coned.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:23 pm

I do not or will not have the money to get a speaker re-coned. I only found one site that recones a Utah and it is 65.00. However i'm happy with my repair job on it for the time being. If i have to i will use a 10" PM speaker and a 1000 ohm resistor to replace a field coil.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:12 am

Pulled the chassis, it was mostly stock. It does appear to have some modifications, mainly the knob for the phono. Just as i suspected. It was tied into one side of the power cord and the main power switch. I'll keep it like that when i put it back together except do it underneath the chassis and not cut one side of the cord. The only electrolytics it has is the can, which is 3. 15 mfd 300 volts 15 mfd 400 volts and 10 mfd 250 volts. The only thing i want to do now is get the dial string on right, but no matter which way i try it will not go on all the way. Anyone know how it goes? The schematic doesnt show how to do it.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:21 am

After having this well over a year, I finally changed the filter caps. I can't get any audio out of it though. I want to check the voltages, but have to figure how to print the Riders volume correctly so I can read everything without a magnifying glass. So far everything seems normal, but won't know for certain until I check the voltages.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:12 pm

I have my Schematic printed for this. Went to check the voltage at the rectifier (5Y3) and am only getting 15 volts of the 630 it should have. I have about 113-114 volts for line voltage. I double checked the ground connection on the caps, and it's good. Could I have a bad 5Y3? If so, the closest thing I have to that right now is a 5U4. Could I use that just for testing purposes?
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:41 am

Could be a bad power transformer. On Pin 1 you should have high dc voltage.
On, pins four, and, six you should half of tatal AC 630 volts to B-.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:29 pm

I can't tell you pin numbers as they are not visible on the chassis or schematic. I can only tell you the connections. Like I previously mentioned my heater voltages are 16 volts with the 5Y3 and half that with no tube. The voltages at each plate with the 5Y3 are just over 300 volts.I think they were around 350 volts with no tube. I performed a transformer test and this is what I came up with: First test, plugged it in my DBT with no tube and the bulb went bright to dim right away. Resistance test, Primary winding 13 ohms, winding between heater pins, .5-1 ohm, center winding about 5 ohms. I also just performed a speaker and field coil test and came up with this: At the speaker connections: 150 VDC and 900 ohms. At the field coil connections: Pin 1-2 345 VDC and 300 ohms, Pin 1-2 .16 VDC and 600 ohms, Pin 1-3 .45 volts and 290 ohms. The information only states it is a 900 ohm coil/transformer with a 75 volt drop. IDK if this will make a difference but 1 of the dial lamps comes on but is very dim and stays on with no rectifier in the circuit. I think the other one is blown.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:39 pm

My feeling is your transformer, and, your goose are cooked. Strip the set.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top