oscillating transformer

View previous topic View next topic Go down

oscillating transformer

Post by studebaker1 on Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:22 am

i have tried to rewind the old oscillator .it did not work very well. not getting any sw very little pb and stations are in the wrong spots on am. any help would be appreciated thanks robin,

studebaker1

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2013-04-29

Back to top Go down

Re: oscillating transformer

Post by jerryhawthorne on Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:13 pm

Robin, can you give us the radio make and model, that will help a little on defining your problem. Also, if you rewound the coil and did not get it in the right direction of winding or crossed the wires, it will not work well at all.
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 764
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:54 pm

I should also add, although not knowing what exactly your radio is but AES sells Oscillator coil replacements.  I have used their antenna transformers and work well.  You might look into that.  Not stock but not much of a headache!
Jerry

http://www.tubesandmore.com/products/P-C70-OSC

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by studebaker1 on Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:51 pm

hi Jerry, glad to hear from you. i am new to this, computers and radios. the model is philco 40-145 i just rewound coil again , am is still the same, i have sw really well ,very little pb. so it didn't help much.thanks for web address i will give it a try. thanks robin

studebaker1

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:20 pm

Robin, I should also ask the question as to if you can set up the presets on AM, the push buttons? If your getting SW nicely it seems the oscillator coil is working. Could be some other problems. Try setting your pushbutton settings and see if it works in that mode for AM. Lots of stuff going on in that radio on the BC band. Switch cleaning on the push buttons and ones hanging up. I have certainly had that problem.
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by studebaker1 on Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:46 pm

hi Jerry, thanks for getting back . to answer your question i did try to adjust presets ,didn't work so i rewound the coil again,. actually two more times. tried another direction followed the schematic very close. my a.m. moved up scale,then i started removing coils from the am winding, after about fourteen inches of wire i had my channels in the wright place. i am very happy about that so problem solved, and i put another one on the shelf , thanks again robin

studebaker1

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:35 am

Robin, so happy you got it right.
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down