I'm addicted

Go down

I'm addicted Empty I'm addicted

Post by terrydec on Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:27 am

To a movie.
Had ya goin' there for a moment, right?

Anyway, my last favorite movie was RED with Bruce Willis and John Malkovich.  Great movie.
However I have a movie that I have watched at least a dozen times over the past two weeks.  I swore I wasn't going to watch it tonight.  I did.

The movie is "The Island".  Short plot synopsis- Super rich people pay for clones so that they can harvest their parts.  They think the clones, or Agates, are just spare parts simmering in a bubble. 

The problem?  The clones are really people and some of them start becoming aware and asking questions. The movie stars Ewan McGregor of "Big Fish" and Scarlett Johansson, (easily one of the cutest girls on the planet).

The clones are taught to believe that there is only one contamination free spot on the planet-The Island.  They are taught from inception that "They are special" and that they "Want to go to the Island".  A lottery is held with a trip to the island as the prize.  Of course the real surprise is when they end up being stripped of parts.  Kind of like going to a junk yard for a bumper for your Mustang.
Trust me, if you like this sort of thing, (with lots of subsonic explosions for your subwoofer,) you'll love it.  Of course there are the usual parts where you must suspend reality.  For instance in one spot they say 2019 where I'm pretty sure they meant 2099 because there is another reference to "The eugenics law of 2050."   And you have to believe a city the size of Philly is stored in an old missile silo.
It's kind of a political, survival, frontier of science, escape with a couple of minutes of very soft sexual suggestion, kind of thing.
At one point it is remarked that the sex drive is eliminated and they are educated to about the age of 15. In other words the one point where the sex drive is the strongest.  Yeah, that lasted about an hour.  

Oh, I almost forgot, it has Steve Busecmi.  And what decent movie today doesn't?
terrydec
terrydec

Number of posts : 1124
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

I'm addicted Empty Re: I'm addicted

Post by pixellany on Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:29 am

That is indeed a great movie. I'm not sure I would watch it that many times.

pixellany

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2013-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:51 pm

What can I say-
I'm really bored. And it's been raining a lot.
My dog gives me an excuse for talking to myself.
And the cat does what cats do best, he lies around.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:24 pm

You must've taken our rain! Thanks!
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4453
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:59 pm

And, ours... Thankds for nothin'. My favorite movie that I can't get over is "The day the earth stood still". This past week alone I watched it three times. Lost count how many times I've seen it in my life......
Gort sure is a hot head......

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4399
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:16 pm

They've put up a new station on our cable with the on-air channels, called "movies". They show some decent ones and some craparoos. It must be an on-air service, as the commercials are the same type as on MEtv and Antenna tv. I'm still trying to see all the pictures on TCM. They had "Oliver Twist" with Alec Guinness and Robert Newton with John Howard Davies in the title role. Davies grew up to be the producer and director of some of the BBC's most famous comedy programs, including Monty Python's Flying Circus.
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:24 pm

I hear that Wally World and Mc Donalds is hiring for part-timers. Sounds like you have lots of spare time on your hands. You could always use the extra cash to buy more radios! And thanks for sharing the rain. We got about three inches overnight, much needed and long over due. (I am just kidding about your getting a job. I just could not resist. Sorry!)

The last movie I watched in a theater was in 1968. "Love Story" with Ryan Oneal and Ali McGraw. True story. In a drive-in movie in my wife's new 1968 Chevrolet Impala SS with a 396, and hideaway headlights on the day we bought it new. The last movie I saw that was current was "Saving Private Ryan." (On VHS tape.) I saw "Forrest Gump" a couple years ago. I have never seen "Star Wars" nor "Jirrassic Park," or "Jaws." I don't like movie theaters and large crowds and I find modern movies a waste of time. Give me a Hank Fonda or Jimmy Stewart or John Wayne movie any day.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:32 pm

My last theater movie was O Brother, Where Art Thou? O brother.
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:38 pm

Bill Cahill wrote:And, ours... Thankds for nothin'. My favorite movie that I can't get over is "The day the earth stood still". This past week alone I watched it three times. Lost count how many times I've seen it in my life......
Gort sure is a hot head......

Micheal Renee and Patricia Neal- or Keanu Reeves?
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum