EBAY FEVER!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

EBAY FEVER!!!!!!! Empty EBAY FEVER!!!!!!!

Post by Guest on Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:40 pm

I don't know what got into me!!!!!!! I never really bothered with Ebay before except for a phone system part I once needed. This whole week has had me bidding on radio's, tubes, test equipment and other items. Boxes are showing up on the porch every day, and I have to stop this madness! I need to count up how much I spent, I'm sure it's over $500!

Do they have an Ebay anonymous? lol! 

Back to top Go down

EBAY FEVER!!!!!!! Empty Re: EBAY FEVER!!!!!!!

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:15 pm

If they don't you need one..........................

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4454
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:11 pm

Usually one of two things happens when a person starts buying on Ebay. Either they buy stuff saving lots of money on too many things, or they bid far more than they had wanted to. It helps to research a bit and seek out the best price and that adds an element of restraint. There are advantages to getting some things there that you can't find locally or for a reasonable price. I just got my generic prilosec from there. 240 pills for $30.
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4468
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:28 pm

Well, MEZ, it's only money. Go for it and have a ball. You only go around once.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4925
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:35 pm

You have "Auction Fever" and it is a very real problem.  Like someone at an auction who keeps bidding higher than he should.
You didn't say if all, or some of this stuff, was in the "Buy it Now" category.  Lately I only "Buy it now" usually with free shipping.
The main reason is because I got tired of being out bid at the last second.
I've been Sniped too many times. I'm not going into it here because it might hijack the thread and that's not my intention.  I'll just say that when it's down to the last second, your having that winning rush because you're the highest bidder with the green banner-and in the last 5 seconds- to late for you to up your bid, you lose.  The only thing I really hate against Snipe is this.  If your watching the bidding you can increase your bid one click at a time until the last three seconds.  If you lose by exactly one dollar then you've been Sniped.
I REALLY hate the Snipe program.  It was a program set up with the best of intentions, but like anything else it can be abused, and is.
Sorry, I'll stop before this thread goes off in a different direction

Me- I love stuff coming to my door, as long as it isn't UPS.  I hate waiting all day, not even walking my dog-for a package that comes at 8:05 PM
terrydec
terrydec

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:00 pm

I used to love when they provided more info on the bid history and you could see who bid when and how many times. If it was something I really wanted, I'd enter a high amount and look at the splatters on the wall below the level at which I bid. Some would get the outbid message and run their bids to some ridiculous level. More than a few times, a few days later, I'd get an e-mail saying the highest had reneged on his purchase and giving me the option to buy at my high bid. These days, I shop like at a store and use the buy it now option most often.
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:20 pm

I agree on the "buy it now" option. I also like the "make an offer" option.  As far as bidding I make a bid with my maximum then stay out of it and let the chips fall where they may.  

You have "Auction Fever" and it is a very real problem.  Like someone at an auction who keeps bidding higher than he should.

I don't have this issue but I can see where you think I might based on my original post. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:38 pm

I once had a friend who wanted a comic book really bad.  It must have been really bad because his bid was $1000.

A quick note on Snipe, (I'm doing it aren't I?) Originally Snipe was a program where someone could put in a high bid for something they really wanted and it would bid for you if you were not at your computer.  I once used it to buy a Turner mic while I was in Florida. Now it is being used by people watching the bidding, guessing in the last 4 or 5 minutes What the highest bid will be, then entering a higher bid knowing the current bidder can't see the bidding because the Snipe program hides it.
Of course it all depends on how high you want to go.  With a Snipe program you still have to put in a dollar amount, lets say $50.  If another bidder has already put in a high bid of $60 they win. If the snipe amount is higher they win.  It really comes down to-just how badly do you want it?
And remember, you always only pay $1.00 more than the next highest bid.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:28 am

I saw a reference on another site that Microsoft was shutting down WEBTV. I remember the first thing I did after getting a computer after WEBTV was register on EBAY. I bought a 45 EP edition of Glenn Miller's "limited edition" album. I had tried a trial snipe service, but I couldn't use something that gave me so much irritation when another used it against me. One other hint, bidding on really involved holidays pays off on many occasions.
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:45 am

I'll give you one better than that. NEVER try to sell in the summer. This is an extreme example but I had a restored antique motor listed for "Buy it Now" in July for $50. In September at auction it sold for $325.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:35 am

I really really hate bidding on ebay. I usually end up getting outbid by a very small amount within the last hour,sometimes less. When i do bid i usually wont put a bid in until about 1-2 minutes remaining unless its something that ends overnight or when i'll be asleep. I do buy regularly on there, but it's mostly "buy it now" stuff with free shipping. I do get some stuff with shipping cost but if its an outrageous amount i wont buy the item. Lots of people will have an item at a extremely low price but have triple the realistic shipping cost in an effort to try to have reduced final value fees. Just be cautious of those types of items bc they are against ebay policy and a ripoff.
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 648
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:40 am

I have also seen some outragous shipping charges and decided to stay away. I've seen too much of that crap on TV "we'll double your order, just pay separate shipping and handling."  At this point you know what you're getting is worthless junk!

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:53 am

There are some times when what I want to buy will come down to a particular item and I will do a search of that item and filter price low to high. That is when you see the spectrum from the sellers to the gougers. You may also see 2 to 3 different price variations from the same seller. with shipping added, removed. or discounted for 2. The seller has to cover their shipping costs and you can compare and see if they add up.
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:23 am

I'm finding out this is not much different than going to the country auctions around here, people pay way too much for the most part, but sometimes there is only one bidder and the item is very reasonable. People are people and competition outways common sense at auctions! I can't tell you how many times I've been to an auction and never raised my had because the bidding was so furious! I believe auctions usually favor the seller.

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:20 pm

We don't have many auctions or trade shows around here. And since eBay and Craigslist yard sales are full of junk.  Estate sales are mostly expensive furniture and thrift shops are mostly clothes sold at a couple of dollars below retail. One thrift store has a console radio that doesn't work and the the cabinet looks terrible for $350.
Now I buy and sell mostly on Craigslist.  The buyer can see the object and pay in cash.  A few months ago I bought a GE console in perfect condition.  I saw a chair side radio and he threw that in.  Total cost? $70  

As for shipping check the source.  I have bought model airplanes from China for $3.00 but the shipping was $26.  Now they've got smart and sell a lot of Chinese goods through USA addresses.  That makes them sound legitimate but the selling price is higher.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:05 pm

terrydec wrote: As for shipping check the source.  I have bought model airplanes from China for $3.00 but the shipping was $26.  Now they've got smart and sell a lot of Chinese goods through USA addresses.  That makes them sound legitimate but the selling price is higher.
Yup Yup.. That they do.. Its mostly small items but some larger ones.Mainly electronics and computer related items. They all usually come out of warehouses in either New Jersey,New York or California. There is nothing wrong with that as they usually sell brand new items at a discounted price compared to a department store. Sometimes shipping can take 4 or 5 days since they usually ship DHL and then they hand it off to the post office for first class mail. Now lots of those sellers do get high amounts of negative feedback but you have to read through it and will find out most of its given for a reason that makes no sense or something that wasnt the sellers fault. I personally havent had much trouble with those type of sellers.
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:26 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Heathkit-IG-72-Audio-Generator-New-Filters-Must-See/360701779523?_trksid=p3984.m2046&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D32%26meid%3D200438131209068634%26pid%3D100020%26prg%3D1023%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D290949640352%26#ht_1909wt_837

Look at the sold item, then look at the 4th item in the list below! I smell a rat!

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:31 pm

Looks like a good item and seller. Good buy!
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:41 pm

As my HS electronics teacher used to say... Something is rotten in Denmark..
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:49 pm

I was the only person bidding on that item and in the last seconds it was bid way up. Now the same audio generator is back on from the same seller at a much higher starting bid! That is called schilling!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:52 pm

75X11 wrote:Looks like a good item and seller.  Good buy!

It's the same seller and same generator!

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:57 pm

All you can do is report the listing and they will look into it and if its in violation it will be removed. I'm going to guess that he didnt get what he wanted out of it and waited too long to pull the listing. Therefore he is going to screw the high bidder by not shipping it out. If he gets caught doing that it could get him banned for life. They will block his ip address so he cant make another account. If he did screw the high bidder i hope they open a case on him and show he relisted the item at a 20.00 higher starting bid.

Last edited by tuberadiogeek on Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:59 pm

tuberadiogeek wrote:All you can do is report the listing and they will look into it and if its in violation it will be removed.

I did just that! Very Happy 

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:13 pm

I guess there must be some sort of secret message on the page that made it wrong.  All I see is this sale.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Heathkit-IG-72-Audio-Generator-New-Filters-Must-See-/360701779523?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D32%26meid%3D200438131209068634%26pid%3D100020%26prg%3D1023%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D290949640352%26&nma=true&si=6uqO9CDWGe3NY4A%252FEgJ%252B5k4vPaY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:37 pm

EBAY FEVER!!!!!!! Ebay10
EBAY FEVER!!!!!!! Ebay210
It is the same item from the same seller. What it appears he did is ignore the fact it sold for 21.00 and went and relisted it for 29.00. Apparently he was not happy with 21.00 out of it and did not catch it in time to end the auction early unless he let it end and planned to re list it at a higher price regardless if it sold or not.
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next