arvin

View previous topic View next topic Go down

arvin

Post by bennie hall on Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:57 am

Hi guys my wife just came home from the flee market with an Arvin 460t 1950's all there tried nastalga air and some other places but cant find a schamatic   any ideals ??

bennie hall

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2013-07-02

Back to top Go down

Re: arvin

Post by Ben Delk on Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:49 am

Nostalgia does list an Arvin 460T, under a different manufactures name but ot is the same.

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByModel/234/M0001234.pdf
Ben Delk

Number of posts : 443
Registration date : 2012-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post by bennie hall on Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:58 pm

Thanks ben now here is where i am.took out chassis found a bad power cord and a loose wire from the right side of the ant.changed out cord .hooked it to variac tubes lite up but no sound dead silence.used jumper on wire to speaker still no sound.not seeing but two wires from ant.on schematic i see only two.but on radio there are 4 and one is loose?????thanks bennie

bennie hall

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Delk on Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:05 pm

Have you replaced all the caps, especially th e electrolytics?
Ben Delk

Back to top Go down

Post by bennie hall on Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:04 pm

No i have not but it they are bad would i not still here something?just asking.the schematic shows EXT.ANT.COULD THAT BE MY MYSTERY WIRE.Bennie

bennie hall

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Delk on Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:09 pm

You will have no power to the tubes if the electrolytic s are bad . I suggest you do more research on how to restore vintage radios before you go any further. Good luck and many blessings .

Ben
Ben Delk

Back to top Go down

Post by bennie hall on Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:26 pm

Ben i have power to the tubes.thanks Bennie

bennie hall

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:35 pm

Filament power means little. With shorted power supply filters, and, or, shorted paper caps, and, ohm meters will not show shorts in these in most cases, the radio still won't play.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4530
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by bennie hall on Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:47 pm

Thanks Bill i guess i just re cap and see what happens. Bennie

bennie hall

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:21 pm

You could also measure B+ at the plate of the output tube. No or low B+ would either place blame or eliminate blame on the filter caps. You should change them in any case, but, to do preliminary inspection of your radio, finding out if you have B+ at the output tube would also clear the output transformer of suspicion. Did you sub in a different speaker to eliminate a bad speaker as a possibility? If the primary of the output transformer was open, there would be no B+ on the plate of the output tube. Here we go again, but placing your finger or the tip of your plugged-in soldering iron on the center terminal of the volume control should cause a growl or loud buzz in the speaker if everything in the audio section is working. If it is okay, then the antenna wire you talk about is something to look at. I don't think you are there yet, though. Good luck, Bennie. Hang in there. We all had to start just like you are.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by bennie hall on Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:06 am

Thanks for the advice and the pep talk i understand most of what you said better read up on some more things you talked about.but all the reading in the world is not worth a plug nickle if you don't get your hands dirty .as they say in the MARINES you got to put a lot of ammo down range just to learn to hid the target.thanks BENNIE

bennie hall

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:08 pm

Did you try any of the suggestions that were offered? Getting your hands dirty is one thing. But trying to dig a ditch with a teaspoon is gonna take longer than if you use a backhoe. Hang in there, Bennie. This is the best bunch of teachers on the face of the planet.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top