Pay now or pay later!!

Go down

Pay now or pay later!! Empty Pay now or pay later!!

Post by scottb on Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:26 pm

I quoted to upgrade a packaging machine for a food manufacturer. Keep in mind if this machine is down, the whole production line stops.
My quote was for 72,500 dollars which would have had everything the latest and greatest.
Well I just got a call the OEM CRT went bad and they are down. I suggested they take it to a local repair shop which they did only to find out the heater is open!!!
Even if I could start on it right now, it would take at least 3 weeks working 14 hour days including weekends. My quote does not reflect overtime. I am completely swamped with several large projects already and our company has nobody available to start work for them.
They finally found a whole working machine from another company and purchased it for 140 thousand dollars, just to get a weak dim CRT.
They sent me a purchase order number and guess who will be ugrading, only this time I will be ugrading 2 machines an the one is useless without a CRT!!!!
By the way OEM is original equipment manufacturer so the CRT was special made for the machine last made in 1991!!

scottb

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Pay now or pay later!! Empty Re: Pay now or pay later!!

Post by Tony V on Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:44 am

Ouch!
Tony V
Tony V

Number of posts : 709
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:50 am

I wish I had the money to make high roller mistakes like that.
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4468
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Ron Pond on Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:07 am

scottb wrote:Well I just got a call the OEM CRT went bad and they are down. I suggested they take it to a local repair shop which they did only to find out the heater is open!!!
They finally found a whole working machine from another company and purchased it for 140 thousand dollars, just to get a weak dim CRT.
By the way OEM is original equipment manufacturer so the CRT was special made for the machine last made in 1991!!

Surely they could have have either had the CRT rebuilt or if not an option, redesign the circuitry to accommodate another CRT?
Ron Pond
Ron Pond

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:38 am

Years ago when I worked in maintenance in a factory we had this European machine CRT go bad. It stopped production and everyone was freaking out. They wanted me to look it and I hooked up one of our security monitors to it and got it to work that way until the monitor could be fixed. So I can relate to how they can get upset.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1392
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:57 am

It is surprising to me that companies are so lax with maintenance. When I worked at Lowe's, the only time they pulled maintenance on a fork lift was when it took a dump, usually at the most inopertune time. It was against company policy to even check the oil in the engine of a forklift. You literally ran them until they quit. The forklift vendor that leased the equipment would bring another one, and the cycle would start all over. The power went out one time and the generator came on. It ran about 5 minutes, then quit. A manager went out back to see what had gone wrong. Vandals had drilled a hole in the oil pan, and the engine ran without oil, causing a rod to exit thru the block. Noboody saw the big oil slick under the generator, nor was it their position to care. The replacement generator had a cage around it to limit access.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4925
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:01 pm

My story started yesterday at about the same time I first saw this thread.  I was directed to go to the 900 Mhz satellite trunking station we operate on the north side of town.  The air conditioners for the facility had stopped working and the thermometer had pegged in the facility and the equipment had started to fail.  It took a call from schaumburg to my supervisors to clue them in on what was happening.  The HVAC techs had put about a tank of refrigerant into each unit.  That tells me that these have been failing for a long while.  They got one working last evening, and I stayed here for 8 hours at $21 an hour waiting to see if it cooled off any.  It did, just enough to keep the equipment on.  Here I am again, getting ready to be the living thermometer, and monitor the hvac techs.  I just got a call from my supervisor asking me to look on the building and let him know who really owns it. You see, the a/c unit crapped out during the day and our hvac types are claiming someone else owns the building. No  I told him it is ours, as if anyone else owned it, they would make sure it worked.  Now he is trying to convince our firm they own their equipment, while I blog on my favorite radio site.  I'm really a patient kind of guy when the money's right.
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4468
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum