crosley o3cp no reception

Go down

crosley o3cp no reception

Post by manny380sl on Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:17 pm

hello im new here on this forum, im trying to repair a crosley o3cp console, i get no reception just low static.
ive done the basics so far, changed electrolytics, all caps, all tubes check good, resistors are all good, and inspected all wires for corrosion. voltages are normal at tubes, i got the turntable working and placed a record and also got no sound, im wondering if a bad volume control would be at fault i have an extra one and am going to swap it. any help would be appreciated
regards manuel

manny380sl

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Re: crosley o3cp no reception

Post by Resistance is Futile on Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:03 pm

Check the speaker first. voice coil,
and then audio transformer.
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 977
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by manny380sl on Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:01 pm

thanks for reply the speaker coil is good, and the voice coil seems to be ok because it had a loud hum when first plugged in. when i poke around underneath chassis i get different sounds even when checking voltages.
also the volume goes higher when i touch the wires to the tone switch. i dont think the tuning cap is shorted because when i ohm them out i only get continuity on the one i have selected . well ill keep working on it a little at at time
HAPPY NEW YEAR

manny380sl

Back to top Go down

Post by Toad on Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:51 pm

"thanks for reply the speaker coil is good, and the voice coil seems to be ok because it had a loud hum when first plugged in. when i poke around underneath chassis i get different sounds even when checking voltages.
also the volume goes higher when i touch the wires to the tone switch. i dont think the tuning cap is shorted because when i ohm them out i only get continuity on the one i have selected . well ill keep working on it a little at at time
HAPPY NEW YEAR"

Please explain, you DO have continuity of the tunning cap? Caps should show infinite resistance (or it does not conduct). Hummming of about 60 times a second, ie 60HZ is because the lare electrolytic caps in the set hav dried out and are shorting, these are usualy the first thing that get replaced even before i plug in a set. Many times once the electrolytic caps are replaced music can be heard. I've attached a schematic: http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByModel/163/M0003163.pdf

Try replacing the cardboard tube that has a red, blue, green, and black wire, that is the electrolytic cap, and each section can be replaced by individual components. its located near the 5Y3 tube on the schematic.

Jeremy
Toad

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2009-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post by manny380sl on Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:37 pm

thank you to all who helped. i found the culprit it was a new bad from stock .05 cap that i had replaced, i was rechecking all components and with my digital meter i found the cap to be bad. radio is now working loud and clear. i still have a few caps to replace also radio was working with a low hum, i remember swapping the line cord prongs and it corrected itself. i have to figure out why x-former is running hot. i have seen some crosleys with a metal shield around the x-former, does any one know if these radios will run hotter?

manny380sl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down