What do yellowjackets look like?

Go down

What do yellowjackets look like? Empty What do yellowjackets look like?

Post by 75X11 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:40 pm

I was trimming around the yard and in a specific area a bunch of insects about the size and color of sweat bees got all over me and stung me in the ankle and hand. they were coming out of a rotted opening of a piece of rail used as edging. It left a hole that looked like someone drove a victrola needle in it. With a hammer. And it feels like they hit my hand and ankle again with the hammer for good measure. @#%$ it hurts!
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4453
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

What do yellowjackets look like? Empty Re: What do yellowjackets look like?

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:49 pm

Yellow jackets build a nest that is sort of round and usually high up in a tree. Just high enough to knock it down with the exhaust pipe of a tractor while mowing or baling. IIRC, they look like honey bees, but are larger. My guess would be that you got stung by a wasp. They build nests almost anywhere. Hornets, wasps and yellow jackets are some of the nastiest flying critters there is. But you already know that, huh? Yellow jackets and hornets tend to swarm. You don't get hit by one, but by hundreds. The 'victrola needle" is their stinger.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:57 pm

These were about an inch long, yellow and black and fast! I haven't been stung by anything in fifty years and these got me in the ankle where I was stung when I was 6.
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:03 pm

Hornets! You said the magic word-fast. Like the Hudson Hornet of the '50's. Nasty critters. Get some wasp and hornet killer and turn them into crispy critters. Be glad they did not get you in the face.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:34 pm

Believe me, the place they came out of smells like a refinery. I had got a new can of flying insect killer and e-radicated them. They were like someone had thrown a handful of beans on me and they all landed and clung onto me. I have a burrow of sweat bees and they are benign little animals. That is what I thought these were for about a second and a half.
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:35 pm

Back when I was a boy, when my Polish Grandparents were renting a small house in the outskirts of Toledo, Ohio, off a three legged dirt road, my mother took us one day to help my grandmother with yard work...;
She was mowing the lawn out back, and, my brother, and, I were following close behind. My Grandmother was in the house. Without realizing it, we hit either a wasp, or, hornet's nest. They attacked all of us! These suckers kept attacking time after time. Never stopped stinging us. We ran in the house screaqming. My poor Polish grandmother was praying for help in Polish.
My mother stripped us of all our clothes, and, put us in the bath tub.
She found more live ones in our clothes. It was horrible!!

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4393
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:07 pm

betcha they aren't like this one!

What do yellowjackets look like? Asian-hornet
Resistance is Futile
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:27 pm

Nope. You got me there..............

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4393

Back to top Go down

Post by harold wright on Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:53 pm

It has been my experience that yellow jackets nest in the ground and hornets build a large paper nest in a tree. Both are mean and bad.

Harold

harold wright

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2012-10-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:58 pm

harold wright wrote:It has been my experience that yellow jackets nest in the ground and hornets build a large paper nest in a tree. Both are mean and bad.

Harold

Yes, around here yellowjackets come out of little holes in the ground and are lightning fast and agressive. The hornets and wasps build paper nests in trees, on porch lights, on porch ceilings and almost anywhere in a car that doesn't move anymore.

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:49 pm

I've had insects about half again as big as these nest on cars around here. These stings are still quite sore. They came out of a little opening in a rail on the ground. I hit it with the string trimmer and BOOM they were all over me and the air around.
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by atwater10 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:47 pm

Out here those nasty yellow jackets are called "meat bees" When you try to have a summer picnic, these little buggers go after your chicken, hamburger, or anything with meat in it.

Funny, they have powerfull mouths they'll dissassemble what left of a chicken leg in a matter of 30 minutes Shocked 

They will bite as well as sting and can do that multiple times too ... They nest in the ground and old rotten logs.

We put hanging traps up in the spring ... I'll bet I have close to 100 in mine now Cool
atwater10
atwater10

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2012-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Johnson on Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:02 am

Ground bees are the worst.  I find at least one nest with the lawn mower every year.  I wait till night and poor a little white gas down their hole and light it.  The little two inch flame coming out of the hole lasts about an hour.  I've also heard you can put a glass jar over their hole at night and the whole nest will die in a day or two as they won't dig their way out.  Haven't tried that one yet.
Steve Johnson
Steve Johnson

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by simplex1040 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:25 am

75X11 wrote:I've had insects about half again as big as these nest on cars around here.  These stings are still quite sore.  They came out of a little opening in a rail on the ground.  I hit it with the string trimmer and BOOM they were all over me and the air around.

Yes those were yellow jackets. Hornets nest in trees. In Texas we had yellow Jacket Wasps which are different from their ground dwelling cousin.
simplex1040
simplex1040

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2008-03-14

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:01 am

IIRC a yellow jacket is a type of wasp, as is a hornet. Yellow jackets usually look like a bee on steroids. The difference between wasp and bees is bees produce honey and can only sting one time if it hits you full force and wasps can sting as often as they feel like and are nothing but a pest, they do nothing for the environment. I have a couple yellow jackets hanging around my porch every year, but they have never tried to sting or attack anyone.
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 647
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by oldgoaly on Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:32 am

here I spent the weekend making solitary bee homes there are many bees and wasps that people call  yellow jackets, really need to look at them online and see which ones you have. I have honey bees on one side of the farm and mason/solitary bees  on the other side, they are an important part of the food cycle. If all of us could help them, still could be set back by one corporate idiot at a chemical corp. in a minute.
oldgoaly
oldgoaly

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2012-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:46 am

tuberadiogeek wrote:...The difference between wasp and bees is bees produce honey and can only sting one time if it hits you full force and wasps can sting as often as they feel like...
And on the fly. They don't have to land on you first like bees do, if I am correct.
Ragwire
Ragwire

Number of posts : 510
Registration date : 2013-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:10 pm

Hornets have a bad reputation, however I believe they will also reduce the fly population around homes, ( an environmentally sound solution), they will however also attack honey bee hives and kill those like play sport. So since they scavenge about any type of picnic they would also go after dead squirrels, rats, mice, cats, dogs, horses etc. and generally clean up after them selves they bee good!!!!!!! Very Happy
Resistance is Futile
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:52 pm

Bees do not always have to land either. The last time i was stung by a bee it fly out of its nest and pelted me very quickly and then flew away. It didnt land and it didnt lose its stinger but it left a nice mark on my hand.
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 647
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by scottb on Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:04 am

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/entomologist-films-terrifying-encounter-giant-yellow-jacket-nest-article-1.1381136

Holy big wasp nest Batman!!!!Shocked 

scottb

Number of posts : 115

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:51 pm

Well. bumped the rails and they came out again. Found one of those wasp scrooch gun sprays and saturation bombed the two little holes beneath the rails where they were going in and out. I got some nice red clay soil and laid it over the entrance and tamped it in with my little 5 lb. maul. That seemed to quiet them down somewhat.
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:26 pm

I keep old spray paint cans with a little paint left in them. When bees and wasps come around I spay them with what's left. You can watch them fall out of the sky!...LOL

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:04 pm

The wasps cruise around and we stay out of each other's way.  The sweat bees and the bumble bees are friendly.  the honey bees will come and land on and try to make friends with the big bee in the driveway.
What do yellowjackets look like? P1000168xy

But these little monsters were none of the above.  I still have red scabs where they got me.
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum