Granite counter top

Go down

Granite counter top Empty Granite counter top

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:32 pm

Has any of you had experience with granite counter tops? We are considering upgrading from the Formica we now have. Granite is allegedly permanent, impervious to anything and raises home value due to its being the current fad. I have heard negatives that it needs to be resealed occasionally, can be etched by acid from tomatoes, citrus, etc., and, once etched, cannot be restored. The stuff is OMG expensive, but it is pretty. What say ye? Thanks.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Granite counter top Empty Re: Granite counter top

Post by jerryhawthorne on Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:13 pm

WC, a great investment, I have found nothing that will mess up its surface. Resealing, I think we have done it once or twice in 10 years is as simple as a wipe down with the sealer. Should the surface somehow get "etched" proper equipment and professional help can certainly polish it out. We have had no problem. Yes, the stuff is expensive but OHHH so much nicer than formica.
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:58 pm

I have heard negatives that it needs to be resealed occasionally, can be etched by acid from tomatoes, citrus, etc., and, once etched, cannot be restored. The stuff is OMG expensive, but it is pretty.

All true but there is more to worry about. Pour water on a granite countertop and you will see the area darken because it absorbs. This means it can absorb bacteria as well.

Granite countertops are a plus for resale.

Back to top Go down

Post by ea327 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:50 pm

We just had our kitchen remodeled. We did granite countertops called Ubatuba. It is black with flecks of blue, silver and brown. We also had the same material as a backsplash up to the bottom of the cabinets. So far it is great. We got some granite wipes to clean it and it looks great
ea327
ea327

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2012-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:19 pm

Thank you all for your input. Jerry, we have a home in a SE suburb of Phoenix, and was built with Formica counter tops. They are semi-ugly, color-wise and do not match the mahogany cabinets very well. Darker granite counter tops would certainly be an improvement. Are granite counter tops put in the bathrooms as well, or will the current white counter tops be okay? The bathrooms have vanity tops with the sinks molded in, kinda like Corean or something like that. Another concern with granite is this: Is granite a fad that will have to be changed or eliminated in, say, ten years before the house would be sold, or will granite be viewed favorably for the fore-seeable future? Formica has been around for years, and I wonder if granite will be in vogue that long.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:36 pm

All I can say is that the granite does have tiny pits in it, very small and only seen with the proper light at an angle.  I guess that is why they suggest that you seal it.  It does not "absorb" anything to the extent that it runs into the rock.  It is after all a rock.  We picked out slabs out down in Phoenix and it was fun other than the fact it was summer and hotter than, well you know.  Very happy with it.  Our kitchen was all in formica.  The only thing I did wrong (being cheap) was have a small counter top with the cooktop on it done it tile to match the tile back splash.  Couldn't have made a worse decision.  The grout needs to be deep cleaned often due to grease etc from cooking.  As for the bathrooms, they were also in a corian,  we removed and tiled  those, not much grease going on there.  Granite would have been nice but as you indicated, expensive.  The tile was to match the rest of the bathroom, not that I cared a lot but the wife did!
Stay cool down there because it is wicked hot.
Granite is not a fad although there may be some artificial man made products on the market. Formica is certainly in a bygone era. It is the Rolls Royce of countertops. Certainly may be some products coming out cheaper and that is good, but this stuff is great.
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:29 pm

I fell for the old "tile in the kitchen will be cool" whine back in the '90's. We did the whole kitchen in tile, counters, backsplashes,and floor. The floor worked okay, but the counters were horrible. I tore it all out after about a year of major griping about the grout always being dirty and we put in Formica. That was two houses ago, but I still feel you pain. We are going to consider granite this fall. I appreciate your input.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by ea327 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:29 pm

WC, we have a powder room off of the kitchen that we used the same granite. It wasn't much more money.
ea327
ea327

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2012-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:48 pm

Some reading material;
http://solidsurfacealliance.org/G-biology-issues.html

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:00 pm

I suppose stainless steel might be safer? Crap, we have other things to worry about in life. Bacteria are everywhere and probably healthy for your immune system! So many scary things out there that the least I would worry about are bacteria on granite. If paranoid, you could clean it with a blow torch. Don't try that with corain or formica.Very Happy 
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:59 pm

I would imagine that if the granite could absorb a contaminant it could also absorb a disinfectant. You would probably want a cutting board anyway, at least to preserve your cutlery. I guess the headstones made from granite hold their looks pretty well even exposed to the weather. You might want to choose a color that will stay in vogue for a long time.
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4453
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:10 am

I think so long as you know the potential for bacteria exists, you can take care to keep it clean. I agree with the cutting board but it's easy to slip up, like putting raw chicken on the counter. I wouldn't call it a show stopper but it is a heads up.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:46 pm

My wife would NEVER be caught dead not using her cutting board. Make a mess on the counter tops? Naw. Do you remember Marie on "Everybody Loves Raymond"? That is my frau. By the time she plunks down multiple thousands of dollars for granite counter tops, I will be banned from the kitchen for life. Messes tend to follow me.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:55 pm

Yup, no cutting directly on the counter top, not that it would probably hurt the granite but it certainly dulls knifes quickly. Cutting boards for ever. However, with a little flour spread over the counter top, it works great for rolling out pie crusts! Laughing 
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:12 pm

Never thought of that!

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:47 pm

Wildcat445 wrote:My wife would NEVER be caught dead not using her cutting board.  Make a mess on the counter tops?  Naw.  Do you remember Marie on "Everybody Loves Raymond"?  That is my frau.  By the time she plunks down multiple thousands of dollars for granite counter tops, I will be banned from the kitchen for life.  Messes tend to follow me.

Regards

WC

Dana is the same way, she has a tray for me to put my shoes in when I enter the house. She also has a level to check all the hanging pictures and a screwdriver to make sure all the screws in the switch plates have the slots going in the same direction.

I call her Mrs. Monk!

lol! 

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:15 pm

OMG, we married sisters! Nope, that can't be. MY wife's sister is a slob. My wife wants to burn her sneakers after she has walked across her sister's floors. And, God forbid, that I should hang some "permanent" thing like window shades that end up being out of level. And telling the frau that the sun is not straight either does not work. When I remodeled the house, she actually followed me around wtih a level and a square to make sure I didn't "miss something." Joking aside, I prefer that to the way some people keep their places. Some are pretty bad.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum