'80 Toyota Corona

Go down

'80 Toyota Corona Empty '80 Toyota Corona

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:04 pm

I was on CL browsing relatively inexpensive vehicles in the event i go to school like i want to. I came across an odd but unique car called a Toyota Corona which i have never heard of, but i like the look of it. I was just curious if anyone has had any experience with them? I just dont want to get it and find out parts are next to impossible to find or that it's a pain in the rear to work on. I did a little research but really couldnt find much on them besides they were made for a long time and it appears they have small fuel efficient engines in them. The one i'm looking at is a hatchback in what looks to be good condition and they state it needs minor work with the asking price of 700.00 OBO..
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 647
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

'80 Toyota Corona Empty Re: '80 Toyota Corona

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:00 am

A 1980 Toyota, in 2013 may be like a Corvette, a boat, and a pregnant girlfriend. The day you get it is the best day of your life, second only to the day you get rid of it. The thing could be a bottomless pit for money. If you wanted to get it to play with like a classic car and have a newer car for a daily driver, that is one thing. But to depend on that old car to be your only means of transportation would be particularly risky. Mechanical parts should be available, but body parts would not. Those cars rusted badly and most have been turned into new Toyotas by now. If the car you are looking at is an original Ohio car, the chances of the body having serious rust issues is something to look out for. You can buy lots of bus tickets for $700. Look for a more substantial vehicle. Good luck.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:21 am

I'll usually check out a user's forum on a car when debating the purchase of one.  

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4453
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:23 am

Right. It would be a daily driver for me. I knew body parts would be next to impossible to find, but wasnt sure about engine parts. I would thoroughly inspect it for frame rust. The body looked good in the picture, but i would still have to look at it closer in person. I thought about the bus as an option, but that would cost me just under 500.00 for monthly bus passes for just over a year. That also includes some walking since the bus doesnt go right to the school. This was just the first vehicle i really checked out.
I'll have to check that forum out.
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 647
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Ron Pond on Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:40 am

$700 for a 1980 Corona is about $550 too much unless it has a good drive train and absolutely no rust.

They were common in Australia and nearly every one of them now has major rust problems.

Ron.
Ron Pond
Ron Pond

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum