MULTIMETER

View previous topic View next topic Go down

MULTIMETER

Post by bennie hall on Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:46 pm

Hi all i have is an old sperry dm-350a cat.II meter and i here all this talk about cat III's and auto ranging but do we need all that for TUBE RADIOS. i ask you is it worth the money.but i do like the auto ranging that might help out with resisters? just thought i would throw it out and see what comes up.Bennie

bennie hall

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2013-07-02

Back to top Go down

Re: MULTIMETER

Post by 75X11 on Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:13 pm

Auto ranging is a useful feature in resistance and voltage measurement. It looks like you have a meter up to most tasks. Some also like a analog meter on the bench. I use a Simpson 269. As you go along, you will see and adapt your test equipment to any needs you may come up against.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by bennie hall on Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:20 pm

Hi 75x11 i looked up your meter and it lookes great is it mase in the U.S.A.thanks bennie

bennie hall

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:38 pm

The only purpopse that I find a digital meter of any kind useful for when it comes to old radios, is resistance measurement. I find a good analog meter more convenient for measurements of voltage. I can watch the needle out of one corner of my eye if I need to. The display of digital meters "bounces" too much to get an accurate reading for my taste. I have two RCA VTVM's, and old Simpson VTVM, a Heathkit VTVM and also a Fluke digital. I use them all for one reason or another. I also have a cheap pocket meter for the little emergencies of life. Like someone else mentioned, you will adapt equipment for your personal taste and style. If you can find a GOOD VTVM, you will really like it for working on old radios. It does not load the circuit like other meters will. The problem with a VTVM is the word "GOOD." Most are antiques by now and may require "tweaking" to get to work correctly.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:03 pm

Yes, they were. That model isn't made any more but here is what they offer now.

http://simpsonelectric.com/products/test-equipment/vom-multimeters
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:24 pm

I have a Simpson VOM and a Triplett VOM from the 1950's and they still work okay. But they are not nearly as versatile and useful for radio work as a VTVM. An analog VOM is still better for radio work than a digital, IMHO. I find it difficult to believe that there is a market for an analog VOM at all nowadays. If they could incorporate it into a cell phone.......

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by MinnesotaHam on Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:03 pm

Cat III required if you work on the house wiring or fuse / circuit breaker panel.
We can debate which of Cat I or Cat II sufficient for antique radio work.
I don't work on primary side of radio power transformer with anything less then Cat III.
I also won't work on outlets or circuit breaker box with less then Cat III. Helps ensure I'm not accidentally holding a hand grenade.

MinnesotaHam

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2009-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by bennie hall on Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:48 pm

Hi minnesotaham i know what you mean beaning an old Marine because my old Sargent said ALL WE HAVE TO FEAR IS THE IN CUMMING. bennie

bennie hall

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:16 pm

This thread got me to thinking about the test equipment I've used over the years. The last time I used a vtvm was when I did my advanced individual training at Ft. Sill in 1974. Ever since then. it's place had been taken by oscilliscopes, from the OS-8 to dual trace tek's to digital cursor tek's. I recently bought a pretty decent dual trace scope for the bench.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top