cap's

View previous topic View next topic Go down

cap's

Post by bennie hall on Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:33 pm

Hi guys it's the newbie again i don't have a sure footing with my cap values yet. never was good at math so is there a simple conversion chart available from the old values to the new ones.some thing a 3 grader can under stand.i can build you a 300.000 dollar house no problem.but screw up a cap in a 10.00 radio and my hands start to shake.well you get the picture.thanks for listen.Bennie:roll: 

bennie hall

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2013-07-02

Back to top Go down

Re: cap's

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:48 pm

I don't know of any conversion chart, per se. What you may be referring to is some caps are rated, for example, at .05 mfd at 400 volts. A modern equivalent would be .047 at 630 volts just as an example. An easy conversion might be to add a zero to the .05 making it .050. The closest would be .047, which is actually .003 less, but close enough to work just dandy. Most radio restorers use 630 volt caps for coupling caps so they don't have to buy and stock so many sizes and voltages. If you had a .02 cap, you would use the modern equivalent of .022. If you had a .5 cap, you would use a .47 and so forth. Am I explaining this so you can understand what I am trying to say? You may have a challenge if you are really poor at math. It is kinda necessary to at least be comfortable with simple math. I am not a calculus or geometry whizz by any stretch of the imagination, and, fortunately, such fancy math is not needed to repair radios. The audiophools like complicated formulas to describe stuff that amounts to zip, but that is beyond the scope of our discussion here. I hope this helped some.

I know what you mean about the ten dollar radio comment. I have removed the engine from a car that just received a $125,000 restoration without removing the hood, and without leaving a mark on either the engine or the car. The thought of changing the power transformer in an old heap radio that I have just dug out of a chicken coop gives me nightmares for a month.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:55 pm

Here is a source for a few charts that may be of use to you as you go along.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Capacitor+Chart&qpvt=Capacitor+Chart&FORM=IGRE#a
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by 276merc on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:33 pm

This makes good reading plus has the conversion from both US conventions to that weird stuff from Europe, etc.Wink 

http://www.sentex.ca/~mec1995/gadgets/caps/caps.html

276merc

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2013-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:43 pm

Bookmarked! Thanks!
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down