HVAC/R

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: HVAC/R

Post by Comet64 on Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:08 pm

Tuberadiogeek- Good Luck with this.  The thread is too long for me to read through, I may be repeating what others have said.  I started out in Communication Electronics in the late '70's and quickly realized with technology advancing so quickly that there simply wasn't going be a need for so many technicians (no matter how well qualified they may be).
So I learned HVAC+R and was very lucky to have worked with some very talented small shop owners who actually were in business for the long term and not the quick buck.  My advice is to try and get in to the Commercial/Industrial side of the business after you cut your teeth in residential.  The benefits are many- less "on-call" much more interesting equipment, better wage opportunity, and less dealing with irate people.  Typically these jobs are straight hourly wage based- you won't have to rely on "Commissions" to earn the big bucks the franchise and other residential outfits rely on to lure people to work for them. There is not much worse than having to rely on "up-sales", and selling unnecessary services to homeowners who do not understand- you'll sleep much better at night!
With your electronic background, ability to use a meter and reason with series/parallel circuits, you will advance through the ranks very quickly.
With an HVAC+R background you will have good job security (or the ability to find one quickly, if necessary!)- Jobs exist in Facility Maintenance, Machine Repair, etc.

I'll put my soapbox away for now....

Good Luck!
Comet64

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:57 am

Thanks. I plan to do that at some point. I just got to get my feet in a residential position first. Had a string of bad luck towards the end of my schooling which makes it super tough to even look for employment. My only car basically took a crap on me by either having a blown head gasket or cracked head. It's too old and too costly to try to repair. Then my knees started becoming more painful than in the past. So I had them looked at by an orthopedist and found out my cartilage is wearing away. To help keep the pain in check w/o popping pills all the time she suggested I wear knee braces daily. Which makes it more difficult to do certain task related to the job.
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 664
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:34 pm

If you should look for another vehicle, I would recommend a Ford ranger or rear wheel drive car as they use relatively cheap parts and can be easier to get around for repairs. I hope you are able to get employed soon. You should be a good asset for any business.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Back to top