George Lindsey album

Go down

George Lindsey album Empty George Lindsey album

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:12 pm

In the summer of 1969, I was living in south-central Indiana for a time.  I regularly listened to a radio show, "The All-Request Open Road Show" on WTHI-FM (HI-99), 99.9 FM, Terre Haute, Indiana.  Sponsored by Lee Fields and Sons Shell oil jobber in Terre Haute.  The radio personality at the time IIRC was Cork McCord.  He liked to play obscure, off the wall stuff like Charlie Douglas, Red Simpson, Sheb Wooley and Ben Colder, stuff like that.  This show was on from 6pm until 9 pm each evening.  One one particular evening, it was announced that a new George Lindsey record would be the night's featured album.  As you all know, George Lindsey played Goober Pyle on the Andy of Mayberry show.  I fired up my little Ross 5 inch tape recorder, and sat it in front of the speakers on my stereo and taped this George Lindsey record.  I don't recall the title of the album,but the song I liked and remember the best was "I Spent A Year With Her Last Night."  The words I remember are: "I spent a year with her last night, it wasn't too bad 'til I seen her in the light.  I guarantee she'd give Frankenstein a fright.  I spent a year with her last night." 

Why then, since I taped the album off the radio, do I still not have it?  Well, I do.  Some of it, at least.  Somehow, for some reason, I taped junk on top of my George Lindsey album.  Who knows how, why, or when.  That little Ross tape recorder is long gone.  I just have a small snipet left.  Just enough to prove to people who doubt me that the song actually exists.

At the time this album was played, I called the radio station to see how I could get a copy of the album.  I was told that the program was "transcribed and recorded" (whatever that means) and was the property of the sponsor, Lee Fields and Sons Shell.  I called Lee Fields and Sons and they could not help me.  They were not in the radio business and just wrote a check for the services of the radio station.  I have since contacted Ernest Tubb Record Shop, Amazon, a couple prominent record collectors, and nobody has ever heard of this album.  If I had to guess, and this is just a guess, that album would have had to have been on a record label like Starday/Gusto/Power Pack or Hilltop, Hickory, labels like that.  Mr Lindsey was a regular on Hee Haw during this time, so I contacted Gaylord Enterprises, and got nowhere fast there.  I have looked thru record collections for over 40 years, and this album remains elusive.  I have found Charlie Douglas' "Me And Dammit Ray, Long Time Friends", Bobby Bare's "Lullabys, Legends and Lies" and a couple more that were on my bucket list.  This is the last one that I am trying desperately to locate.  Another song on the George Lindsey album that I remember was "My First Girlfriend."  I don't remember any of the words, however.

Somewhere out there in ciberspace, someone has information about this album.  Time is running out.  I am approaching 63 and I still don't have this record or a copy of same, or the whereabouts of such an album.  Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.  This is the most informed bunch of guys I know, and maybe, just maybe, some of you have the information I need.  Thanks.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4925
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

George Lindsey album Empty Re: George Lindsey album

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:47 pm

I just received an email from a friend of mine, I think that I have hit paydirt.  The album I have been looking for for over 40 years has been right under my nose all the time.  The title of the album is "96 Miles To Bakersfield", on Capitol Records, #ST-230.  So it DOES exist, and I am not crazy (about this at least).  There is one on the 'bay as we speak.  I dislike ebay, but this is different.  I am going to own that record.  Why this record has been so elusive, I have no idea.  It has actually been the most available of all that I have tried specially to find.  My research is normally better than this, so I missed the ball badly on this one.  Now to find an Arthur Godfrey LP or CD with "I'm Looking Over A Four Leaf Clover" and "The Thousand Island Song" on it.  Weird stuff, I know.  It was my grandma's favorite and the 78 I had it on got broken a few years ago. 

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4925
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:43 pm

YouTube is a good source to thumb through and find forgotten recordings and also their affiliated albums. Your thread got me thinking about my grandparents' old 78 of "Slap Her Down Again" by Arthur Godfrey. Sure enough, it was there, with many others.
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4468
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down