Saturday's auction finds

Go down

Saturday's auction finds Empty Saturday's auction finds

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:27 pm

I went to an estate auction on Saturday.  The lady who passed had a large collection of Jim Reeves records that I had tried to buy for awhile.  She did not own a record player, and she had gotten the records at an estate auction herself.  She would never sell them and I could not buy them from her son, who is a neighbor of mine.  He said to just wait for her estate sale.  So I did.  I got them for $3!!  Yepper, three dollars.  If I have counted correctly, I scored 14 albums that I did not have.  A couple of them are mono, but that does not concern me.  They are in nice condition and I am processing them to digital and am going to put them onto CD's.  Yeah, I know.  I should put them on an I-something, but I don't own one.  I need to look up Jim Reeves discography sometime to see if I really have all, or even most of his material.  Seems like I run onto albums that I did not know existed.  Jim Reeves had a relatively short, but prolific, recording career, starting in 1952 and prgressing until his death in early 1964.  Unfortunately, there are several versions of many of his songs.  They have been over-dubbed ad nauseum and released in several versions on various albums.  I started collecting Jim Reeves records in 1959.  I liked this little red-headed gal named Marilyn who got her hormones all stirred up over "He'll Have To Go."  (Was James Travis Reeves the Justin Bieber of 1959?)  There are actually two versions of Jim Reeves.  One before the "Nashville Sound" and the "Nashville Sound" version.  Jim wanted to be a tenor, but Chet Atkins, the head honcho at RCA Nashville at the time, wanted him to be a baritone.  Chet won.  Jim Reeves, Eddy Arnold, Floyd Cramer, and Chet Atkins "invented" the Nashville sound.  Basically they took country artists, canned the traditional country band, and added strings, The Jordanaires or Anita Kerr Singers for background vocals, which eliminated the "nasal" sound prevelant in country music at the time.  This "sound" introduced drums into country music.  Quite conroversial in the early 1960's.  Bluegrass music to this day does not utilize the services of a drummer.  There were a few country artists who disliked recording in stereo, although it was the "hot" medium of the day.  These artists believed that stereo divided their bands and changed a sound they had long worked to perfect.  Hank Thompson was chief among them.  But I digress.

My recent haul includes, but is not limited to, the following: "Missing You", The International Jim Reeves", "Songs To Warm The Heart", My Cathedral", "Yours Sincerely", "Good 'N Country", "A Touch Of Sadness", The Intimate Jim Reeves", "Jim Reeves Writes You A Record", "Jim Reeves And Some Friends", "He'll Have To Go", "Something Special", "The Country Side Of Jim Reeves", are the gems here, plus some duplicates that I already had.  Also in the box of records I got a Lawrence Welk record that I did not have and a Meat Loaf "Bat Out Of Hell" album. And another album that I had been looking for almost 30 years.  Ernest Tubb and Loretta Lynn "Singin' Again."  I had this album on 8 track and had been looking for the vinyl version.  It was a good day, all things considered.  I just LOVE auctions!!!  And, my favorite ebay flipper was sick and could not come to the auction.  AWWWWWW!!

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4925
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Saturday's auction finds Empty Re: Saturday's auction finds

Post by Art Hoch on Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:28 pm

What a voice!  I have 2 or 3 of his albums.  Have to play them once in a while just to get his fix again.
Art Hoch
Art Hoch

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2013-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:31 am

The CD transfer is a good move. That will get the hard part out of the way for whatever medium you will have to replay them. Most of my music is now on CD. I have put most of them onto my windows media player's library. It is an easy matter then to put the selections onto whatever media I choose.
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4468
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:37 pm

I started collecting Jim Reeves in 1959. That was the year "He'll Have To Go" came out and this little red head I liked really liked that song. The rest of that story shall forever remain on my sealed lips!

Transferring music from Windows Media Player to CD is like kissing your sister. I cannot imagine anything simpler or more effective. The computer geeks gripe because it is not "intuitive" enough for them, whatever that means. Getting the material TO Media Player is the trick. The computer guru types use complicated programs that have to be tinkered with in order to work. That would never work for me! The simpler the better. I have over 100 GB of material on an external hard drive that I manage with Media Player. That is a LOT of record playing. And several cassette tapes, a few 8-tracks, some reel-to-reel tapes as well. Would anyone like a Meat Loaf album before I donate it to Goodwill?

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:50 pm

Just poking a little fun here, I wouldn't call them nasal, in my teen years in the late 50s.Id called them, all whiny music," my dog done left me cause got a tear in my beer, Oh lonesome me!"

I really do like the 50s and 60s old country music and gospel though.
Resistance is Futile
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:10 am

On the subject of country music, I saw this a few days ago...

http://www.talk920.com/article.aspx?id=93b806fd-90c1-4dbf-b867-c997ed64eb60
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:31 pm

The auction I attended today was a total dud. The owners should have hired a trash removal company rather than an auctioneer. The ONLY item I was even mildly interested in was a stack of about 30 records in deplorable condition. The stack of records looked like it had spent 40 years UNDER the chicken coop. The jackets had been wet and were falling apart. The records looked like someone had played them using a ten penny nail for a stylus. There was a Ross all-in-one stereo there and it was falling apart. The turntable was rusty. Mostly country, there were a lot of those Readers Digest compilations that they sold billions of. There was a mono Gene Autry record that was mildly interesting. I ran my old ebay flipper buddy up to $37 on them and then I bailed. My wife got a geegaw of some kind, and a cookie jar that will need industrial cleaning before it can be brought into our house. The house sold for $22,000, and had not been cleaned in this millinium. Had I bought it, I would have invested $1500 in a rented bulldozer and started over with a vacant lot. It was located in a trashy little town not far from my place. Sometimes I find a diamond in the rough at auctions in dumpy little towns. Today, I just wasted my time.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:25 pm

If your luck runs like mine, if you didn't go, it would've been the sale of the year.
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:17 pm

In the weeks since I bought these records I have found some information that I would like to share.

The estate sale where I bought these records was of a lady who was introduced to me in 2005 as owning every Jim Reeves record ever made. I examined her collection at that time, and she had lots of material that I did not. She had both the stereo and the mono versions, and the expanded versions of stereo and mono. She had no Camden albums, and none newer than 1972. She was proud of the fact that she had both versions of "Something Special". She wanted $1500 for the collection at that time. About half the albums were new, and had never been opened. I offered her $500, which, if she had taken me up on the offer, would have landed me in divorce court. She mercifully declined. I bought the collection, in two boxes, at the auction for $3. I did not necessarily get a good deal, as it turns out. Okay, yes, but certainly NOT every Jim Reeves record ever made.

Research on the internet, mainly at discog.com has revealed that there were approximately 54 Jim Reeves albums produced between 1957 and 1986, give or take a year. This includes Camden pressings, re-issues and mini albums (on 7" 45 rpm records,) and four "Best of Jim Reeves" albums that I have and are not listed. Some of the re-issues are duplicates of older albums, some are older titles with different material, some is older material with a different title. Confusing to say the least. Seperating the buckwheat from the B.S., I come up with 45 albums of Jim Reeves material that is not redundant. I figure that I will never own EVERY Jim Reeves album EVER made, and there is no reason to. I would like, however, all the Jim Reeves MATERIAL ever recorded. That goal may be attainable. I have 41 of the required 45 albums. "Bimbo", and "Jim Reeves" from 1957, "Girls That I Have Known", from 1958, and for some odd reason "Sincerely Yours, Jim Reeves," from 1966 are the missing albums. I have both versions of "Something Special" and five of the seven versions of "Gentleman Jim" from 1963.

Five versions out of seven versions of the same album? Yep. In 1963, RCA Victor records introduced its much touted and heavily advertised "Dynagroove" system. Dynagroove was panned by the audiophool critics and the competetion at the time, and was abandoned by RCA in 1970. The system was designed to introduce distortion into the record groove to cancel out distortion in the record or some such nonsense. RCA "New Vista" stereos allegedly had top secret circuitry to "decode" this system and bring brilliant, life-like fidelity to the public for the first time. Unfortunately, the competetion did not have this circuitry and some of the Dynagroove records sounded like crap on non-RCA equipment. (And, unfortunately again, it sounded like crap ON RCA equipment, according to some accounts.) I can't tell the difference, but what do I know? I digress. So, in 1963 ONLY, certain, not all, RCA Victor records were available in Mono, Mono Dynagroove, Stereo, Living Stereo and Stereo Dynagroove. Living Stereo was RCA's early stereo technology and died mid-1963. Dynagroove took its place. Up until 1967 when all RCA records went to stereo only, both Stereo and Stereo Dynagroove recordings were available. Again, there is not a nickel's worth of difference to me in either version. The problem, apparently with Dynagroove was that it was designed to be used with a conical stylus. Elliptical stylus became the high fidelity choice starting approx. 1964, so Dynagroove was obsolete as soon as it came out. The elliptical stylus is what revealed the undesirable distortion of high frequency signals. Dynaflex was technology designed to make records lighter and less noisy. They were about as substantial as a newspaper. I have found that they are not noisy, but are usually badly warped,unless carefully handled and stored. That is a story for a different day.

"Something Special" was an album introduced in 1967, to DJ's and radio personnel only. It became such a popular album that Mary Reeves authorized it introduced to the public, complete with the original and updated liner notes in 1971. The original 1967 version is allegedly more rare and desirable than the identical (except on Dynaflex) 1971 version. Same material on both versions. "Rare" and "desirable" are relative terms, since only Jim Reeves afficiandos know it even exists. I certainly did not. Mary Reeves managed Jim's library until her death in 1999. I have no idea who manages it now.

So, to sum up, I have a total of 41 of the 45 albums of original Jim Reeves material. The collection I bought at auction has a total of 26 albums. I had a total of 27 albums. I gained 14 that I did not have. So not only did this lady NOT have every Jim Reeves album ever recorded, I actually had more than she did. Just for reference, all the RCA Camden stereo records have electronically reprossessed material. At least 2 of the RCA Victor black label albums have Electronically reprossessed material. Everything after 1967 is stereo. No Dynagroove after 1970. Dynaflex started in 1971 late, some say 1972. I have several duplicates in my collection.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:36 pm

I attended two auctions today. The first one, my wife did not get out of the car. She can spot a dud a mile off. It was a major dud. The ONLY thing out of a two-ring auction that mildly interested me was a GE Vortelex fan. I was not going to stand out in the rain for three hours to see it sell. We drove another 20 miles to auction #2, our backup. (We always have a backup plan, just in case.) It was as bad as the first. NOTHING interested me, it had been in the rain, and the auctioneer was in a grumpy mood. My old buddy, the ebay flipper, headed for his truck early. Some days, you just draw the short straw. Seems like that has been happening a lot lately.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:28 pm

Another semi-dud auction this Saturday. Fun was had by some, I guess. The weather was hot and humid, but there was lots of shade. I got a stack of records. I got a Carl Smith record that I did not have, a Hank Thompson, and a couple Johnny Cash albums. The guy must have liked Floyd Cramer, as there were several in the stack. The envelopes on these records were nearly perfect, but the records have proven to be beat up and most are damaged. The ones I looked at did not LOOK that bad. The guy must have played them with a ten penny nail and a brick. I finally got the Carl Smith record processed by using my old BSR changer with a quarter taped to the tone arm! A couple pounds of weight and it played without skipping/repeating. I plowed right through the imperfections. Thank God for BSR changers. I guess the Hank Thompson and a Homer and Jethro album will have to be processed similiarly. What a disappointment. It just goes to show that no matter how careful you are, there are suprises with old records. I have a whole $3 invested, so what am I complaining about?

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:39 pm

$3 is a nice price for the pursuit of a hobby There are many around here in the big city that pay a lot more for a lot less.
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:05 pm

They can't usually get a bid on LP's around here. Everybody either owns a busted record player or don't have one at all.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:23 pm

That's that 21st century for you, some folks just don't know what's good.
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down