Testing Tubes

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Testing Tubes

Post by trenchartman on Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:34 pm

Hello,

I am new to the world of old radios and tubes.  I have been in the antique business for over 30 years but have never tinkered with any of this type stuff.  

I recently purchased quite a few radio tubes and in the bunch are some old tennis ball tubes.  I am in the process of learning how to test tubes and I do not want to ruin any good tubes.  I have been successful in test some tubes that I could find in the charts.  I have a few testers but right now the only one that is working is a Tripplett 3413A.  The tubes I have listed below are not on any of the charts and I am at a loss of what settings the tester should be on to properly test these tubes without damaging them.  If anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a list of the tennis ball tubes I have:

2- 205 D etched base tubes
2- 205 D metal base tubes 
1- 102 G tube
1- 101 F tube
1  D-86327 tube

Thank you,
trenchartman

trenchartman

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-06-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Testing Tubes

Post by atwater10 on Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:21 am

Hi,

I'm not sure of the settings for your "Tripplett 3413A" tester but I do have the settings for my Hickok 752A ... I'm sure these testers are as different as night-n-day.

My reason for posting is that I had to rig up a Western Electric 100m socket (if i remember correctly) with a 4-conductor cable soldered into a standard 4-pin tube base (mine was off of an open 811A tube) as the WE tubes guide pin seems to be offset compared to regular 4-pin tubes. Cool
atwater10

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2012-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:36 pm

205 -  fil 4.5dc
102 - fil 2,1vdc
101F - fil 4.15vdc
D86327 is the same as a 104D - fil 4.5vdc

unable to find settings so here's what you need to do.
look at tube manual(s) for conductance and plate and bias settings
Then see if the tube tester can test 4 pin tubes.
If it can, then you would have to know what switches are for filament pins and what voltage is needed, across the plate and grid and then make up your own chart.
There are a few testers that you can custom test new and obsolete tubes. You may have to make a tube pin adapter to do that however. The B&K 707 is one such tester. But you would still have to know each switch and dial function.
You may be biting off more than your experience will allow.
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 976
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by trenchartman on Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:01 pm

Thank you both for the information about test tubes. I am still in the process of learning on other tubes. The tubes that I have mentioned do fit the four prong socket on the Tripplett tester but I am not willing to take a chance right now. I am trying to locate someone locally who may have a tester that has the correct readings for these tubes.
Thanks again,
Jeff

trenchartman

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top