Mushroom farming.

Go down

Mushroom farming. Empty Mushroom farming.

Post by terrydec on Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:29 pm

I was reading an article in the Smithsonian magazine about mushrooms.  Setting up a basement growing area would cost about $100.  I have the PERFECT environment-a cool, dark and damp area.  My basement.  Mushrooms can be harvested in three to four weeks, then that area can start again.  A quick survey of local restaurants shows a definite market, in fact need, for tasty organic mushrooms.
I figure with a large enough space, like a bunch of metal shelves, growing medium, (they grow on anything), and some rudimentary watering system I could grow about 500 at a time in my basement.

P.S. Some mushrooms sell for $1,000 a pound.  I seriously doubt I could get more than $20 a pound.

P.S. Don't worry, the silly sybin 'shrooms will be off in their own corner. Cool
terrydec
terrydec

Number of posts : 1124
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Mushroom farming. Empty Re: Mushroom farming.

Post by jerryhawthorne on Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:25 pm

Terry, there is an interesting article in the July/August edition of Discover about "The mushroom man".  Good read, sounds like he is making some money off the little buggers.
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 702
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:19 pm

A lot of Teens try to SHROOM in an attempt to get psychotropic mushrooms,Rolling Eyes but most fail because of lack of environmental controls and being  impatient.Very Happy My Daughter and Her Boyfriend tried it years ago when I was ignorant about the extent kids would go to. I thought they were trying to grow, chantrels and other pricy ones. DUH! No
Resistance is Futile
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 909
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by DancingBear on Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:32 pm

A good friend during my working days grew Shiitake mushrooms for sale in local markets. I helped some with his original setup and it isn't as simple as some make it out to be. Local markets were eager to do business with him.

I am not a gardener in any sense so don't understand all he was doing but he began by purchasing a thin film sputtering chamber from an employee auction. His reasoning was the chamber was fairly sterile inside and this would help assure the only thing growing inside was the desired "shroom". He added other similar chambers as he went along, usually self-designed as the sputtering system wasn't exactly space-friendly.

As he went along he found he had to really tighten controls because the rich nutrient medium would grow just about anything. His process involved microwaving all of the tiny bales to eliminate any wild seeds from sprouting.

It's been a few years since I spoke to him but the last time I visited his place he was going along fine with a constant market but he said it was a long struggle to get consistency. He was dealing with other problems due to his place that had no service of any kind. He was using generators and solar power to run the place located in the middle of the Oregon Coast Range. 

It wasn't easy. It took him at least two to three years to get to a point where he was producing a sell-able product. I haven't spoken with him for awhile but he had an impressive "stick-to-it" mindset that was apparently needed. 

The controls were tighter for Sjiitake than any other types but I believe they all take quite a bit of sterilization before growing. If interested I could see if I could contact him through e-mail to ask him some details. He's pretty solid technically.
                         TonyM
DancingBear
DancingBear

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2013-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:43 pm

jerryhawthorne wrote:Terry, there is an interesting article in the July/August edition of Discover about "The mushroom man".  Good read, sounds like he is making some money off the little buggers.
Jerry
Yeah, I subscribe to Discovery.  I didn't really pay too much attention at the time and I guess it's already gone to recycling.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:56 pm

DancingBear wrote:A good friend during my working days grew Shiitake mushrooms for sale in local markets. I helped some with his original setup and it isn't as simple as some make it out to be. Local markets were eager to do business with him.

I am not a gardener in any sense so don't understand all he was doing but he began by purchasing a thin film sputtering chamber from an employee auction. His reasoning was the chamber was fairly sterile inside and this would help assure the only thing growing inside was the desired "shroom". He added other similar chambers as he went along, usually self-designed as the sputtering system wasn't exactly space-friendly.

As he went along he found he had to really tighten controls because the rich nutrient medium would grow just about anything. His process involved microwaving all of the tiny bales to eliminate any wild seeds from sprouting.

It's been a few years since I spoke to him but the last time I visited his place he was going along fine with a constant market but he said it was a long struggle to get consistency. He was dealing with other problems due to his place that had no service of any kind. He was using generators and solar power to run the place located in the middle of the Oregon Coast Range. 

It wasn't easy. It took him at least two to three years to get to a point where he was producing a sell-able product. I haven't spoken with him for awhile but he had an impressive "stick-to-it" mindset that was apparently needed. 

The controls were tighter for Sjiitake than any other types but I believe they all take quite a bit of sterilization before growing. If interested I could see if I could contact him through e-mail to ask him some details. He's pretty solid technically.
                         TonyM

I think that whereas he was looking to sell a commercial product on a large scale, I'd just be trying to start with a few trays as a hobby and see how it goes.  Yes, the Sjiitake mushroom is in more demand but sometimes just the phrase "Organically grown" is a selling point.  BTW- I've researched this a little and it's amazing what a wide spectrum "Organically grown" encompasses.  "Organically grown" isn't necessarily Grown Organically.  It's become a commercial buzz word.  Mostly it means "No commercial fertilizer", which has a large interpretation too.  
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:20 pm

Resistance is Futile wrote:A lot of Teens try to SHROOM in an attempt to get psychotropic mushrooms,Rolling Eyes but most fail because of lack of environmental controls and being  impatient.Very Happy My Daughter and Her Boyfriend tried it years ago when I was ignorant about the extent kids would go to. I thought they were trying to grow, chantrels and other pricy ones. DUH! No

Yep, I'll admit I've brewed up a few "Shrooms myself.  The effects range from a mind euphoric or even psychedelic episode resembling Hashish to really foul tasting tea.

BTW-at my age getting high is more of a hassle than reward.  Last year a friend owed me some money and gave me some grass instead.  The first thing I did when I got high was want to come down.  However, that being said, several years ago when I had hepatitis C and was taking essentially a chemo drug-interferon, pot really made a big difference.  Both my doctor and psychiatrist said that if they could they would prescribe it.

So, like anything else, it has it's up side and down side.  I once ate a bunch of lobster dinners that were sent to the radio station.  I almost died of shellfish poisoning.  Yes, even if you do not usually have an allergic reaction to shellfish, too much can poison you. I had a choice of going to the hospital or staying home.  I preferred to stay home.
Gee, come to think of it I've almost died a lot of times.  Wonder what that means?  I don't think it means, "you still have work to do on this plane".  I don't even fly in planes.
Weird
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:56 pm

jerryhawthorne wrote:Terry, there is an interesting article in the July/August edition of Discover about "The mushroom man".  Good read, sounds like he is making some money off the little buggers.
Jerry
If any of you know me or follow my posts you know that my normal state of mine is abject stupidity.  However, since that brain transplant when they replaced my brain with Jello- Lime Jello with little bits of walnut and marshmallows like your aunt used to bring to the family reunion picnic, I don't care anymore Sad

P.S Yes, I am reading that article in Discovery magazine.  I keep a stack of my new copies next to the table so I can read while I'm eating.  Anyway, I thought it was Smithsonian because it's as boring as that mag usually is.  Wink
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:49 pm

Terry, if you find those magazines boring, I guess your transplant is not working well.  Hey, you subscribe to them.  That is a start.  Very Happy
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 702
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:42 am

Actually only the Smithsonian is boring.  I get Popular Science, Popular Mechanics, National Geographic, Discover and Smithsonian.  The only reason I have any of them is because I only pay $12 a year for each one.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum