New Project

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New Project

Post by Ragwire on Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:13 pm

Hello friends,
I picked up an Airline 93BR-720A broadcast and SW receiver tonight. The chassis looks good, visually, and the cabinet is all there but needs help.The speaker cloth is shot. Looking forward to trying to refurbish this one as The clock radio I had been working on has been set aside in hoped of finding a new Telechron clock for it sometime.
Wish me luck! I'll get pictures of it later.

Rob
Ragwire

Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2013-05-20

Back to top Go down

Re: New Project

Post by Guest on Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:35 pm

Here's a photo and spec's on your radio from the radio museum;
http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/montgomery_seriesa_93br720a.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:39 am

Thanks Mezlaw!
I found and printed a schematic and service notes for it, but other than the date, I know nothing about it.

Rob
Ragwire

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:47 am

Well the chassis had a lot of surface corrosion, but that cleaned off with isopropyl alchohol. The IF can wiring (the wiring to them, not inside them) was rotten, there was a nearly open bias resistor, an RF/Mixer tube with no gain and an intermittent short, a 1st audio tube that was microphonic, a whole bunch of old paper capacitors to be replaced, as well as the power supply electrolytic. The tuner barely turned due to gunk in the bearings. Burned out dial lamp, and the dial lamp light diffuser was crumbling. The cabinet was in bad shape and needed completely stripped to bare wood. The feet on the cabinet were falling apart (old plywood that had been wet at some time) and the grill cloth was virtually non existent. The antenna loop frame had a broken piece, too.

I took care of all these things and gave it a complete re-cap except for the mica and ceramics, and new-old-stock tubes all around. An alignment, and--of course--refininsh/repaired the cabinet and the antenna loop frame. It works and sounds wonderful now. Very sensitive reception, even on SW. I think it looks cool by the fireplace. My wife loves it, and we listen to it.

Ragwire

Back to top Go down

Post by simplex1040 on Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:13 am

Nice set!
simplex1040

Number of posts : 304
Registration date : 2008-03-14

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:19 am

Excellent job!
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:44 pm

Beautiful work! Welcome to TRF.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4530
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony V on Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:51 pm

Very nice! Good work!
Tony V

Number of posts : 615
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:05 pm

I als have an Airline similar to that the only differences are the speaker grill has flat wraparound wood, my push buttons are round and my dial is burgundy red (broken in the lower left corner). Also has a tuning eye.

Sounds like you did a good job, now I will have to do the same.
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 976
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:38 pm

Thanks fellas!
I would love to have a receiver with a working tuning eye. An old family friend has a console broadcast ans SW from the late '30s or early '40s I believe. I don't remember if it has a tuning eye, but she said I could have it as soon as I bring over an extra body to get it out of the basement. That may be my next attempt....a radio for the "man-cave" downstairs.

Anyway, I am really pleased with this Airline here. The resto went smoothly like it "wanted" to live again. Even the volume control cleaned up so there is no static/rough sound at all when operating it. The tone control even still works. Very Happy
It also gave me a chance to really use my signal generator for real troubleshooting for the first time since I bought it last month. (An old, but nearly mint condition Heathkit.)
Ragwire

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:47 pm

Nice job! Where did you get the new filter cap?

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:44 am

Thanks!
They are actually under-the-chassis elecrolytics from Just Radios. I kept the old can type and cut off the leads, and printed a label for it to make it look sort of authentic.
Ragwire

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:59 am

Ahh, It was the new printed label that threw me. Great detail! Very Happy 

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:08 am

Thanks!

Looking for a new project no, but been busying myself constructing a flat top antenna from the second floor to a tree. Got the grounding rod in and bonded to house ground today. Got the surge protector on. Tomorrow, if the weather cooperates, I should be listening to SW at night. The loop antenna works, but weak on SW on most signals. (5.6 to 18 MHz)

Made some nice crystal radio detectors and a power rectifier in the shop today, too, just for fun. Scrap metal, baking soda, pennys and stuff. Gotta love long weekends!
Ragwire

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top