Phoneless and TVless

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Phoneless and TVless - Page 2 Empty Re: Phoneless and TVless

Post by terrydec on Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:08 am

BTW-
Back to the original purpose of this thread, (don't worry, I love it when one discussion inspires others), I've bought an indoor antenna. One of my TV's is already digital and I have a converter to send an RF signal to the kitchen.

Considering that I live in a Faraday shield, (drop ceilings with metal supports), getting a signal inside probably won't work. If not I can put an outdoor antenna up under the eve at the side door.

P.S since I live in a hysterical, sorry, hisTORical section of town I can't mount anything  on the roof.
Sometimes I think these so-called historical societies have WAY too much power.
terrydec
terrydec

Number of posts : 1124
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:17 am

Here are a few indoor antennas in the event yours doesn't do the trick.
They also have amplifiers and cabling.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/browse/UHF-HDTV/0000000784
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4453
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:58 pm

What did I change??

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4399
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:25 pm

Bill Cahill wrote:What did I change??
Nothing.  Apparently my laptop sees things differently.  I can't reply.  Obviously a problem with the computer, or the Jello is giggling around in my head too much. Embarassed
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:47 pm

I thought maybe it was the name of the site.
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:45 pm

No, I think "People who are crazy and don't have a life"  is a good name for the site.
lol!
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Myers on Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:49 pm

I have a question about Digital Broadcast (if I may ask it). I have moved to the country of Panama and found out that they have (or are getting ready to) broadcast digitaly. They have decided to go with the same format that they use in Europe, DB-T. Can I build Digital Antennas like I saw in Monitoring Time? I wrote Bob Grove a question on this and he responded "as long as I cut the antenna for the freq."! How do I know what the freq is? I was using the "How to" articals as someone else had done all the head work and I was wanting to build an antenna as the artical described. I have yet to buy a TV as it has not widely been implemented. When I asked at the different stores, they seemed agast (just like in the U.S.) that I don't have cable!
Thanks for any input.

Steve Myers

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2012-06-12

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:55 pm

Steve Myers wrote:I have a question about Digital Broadcast (if I may ask it). I have moved to the country of Panama and found out that they have (or are getting ready to) broadcast digitaly. They have decided to go with the same format that they use in Europe, DB-T. Can I build Digital Antennas like I saw in Monitoring  Time? I wrote Bob Grove a question on this and he responded "as long as I cut the antenna for the freq."! How do I know what the freq is? I was using the "How to" articals as someone else had done all the head work and I was wanting to build an antenna as the artical described.  I have yet to buy a TV as it has not widely been implemented. When I asked at the different stores, they seemed agast (just like in the U.S.) that I don't have cable!
Thanks for any input.

Right now I'm using rabbit ears and getting great reception.  My TV was digital ready, and I got it for free on Craigslist. If your TV is not digital ready then you will have to pick up a converter box.  Unless the frequencies where you are going are VERY different from the frequencies here then any outdoor, (or in my case indoor because I live in line of sight), antenna should work.  All antennas are set up to the middle of the band.  Unless you are a Ham or DXer you shouldn't have any problem.

INFO- in order to send all of the stuff, 100 channels, HBO, Showtime, internet, phone, etc., down ONE RF cable, they must use an incredible compression ratio.  That is one of the first things I noticed-the picture.  It's great.  I've noticed some breakup of the signal, but then again I'm using a set of ears less than 2' ene to end.
Note to self- better antenna and small amp to get signal to kitchen.  

BTW- I am AMAZED with the reception I'm getting.  Twice as many stations as my basic cable, most of which were shopping channels anyway, and the picture is fan- freakin'- tastic!
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:13 pm

I did some online searching and it appears that the standard that Panama is using is called DVB-T. I could find no frequency info on it, but you may find something useful using some of the search engines. Bing shows antennae for DVB-T and they look like mag mount cell antennas.
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:59 pm

Some of my channels say "32.2 DV or 48.4 DVT
I don't think it's a different type of frequencies- just different formats.

But since I spend most of my time is la la land with unicorns and trolls, I might not be the best source of information.

Just go to Google and type what you want to know like: What is the difference between digital TV in the US and digital TV in Panama?
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:22 am

Apparently, Panama is using a standard that a majority of the worlds' nations have adopted, as opposed to our ATSC system. Do a search on DVB-T and there some sites that can explain it somewhat.
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:40 am

There are two distinct television systems- PAL, which is the Europe kind and MUCH better than ours.  More scan lines.  And NTSC, (Never the same color.)  It is the type where you are going.  In other words every thing that works here should work there, but you might need a voltage adapter..

Source- Wkipedia
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum: