Phoneless and TVless

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Phoneless and TVless Empty Phoneless and TVless

Post by terrydec on Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:59 pm

Actually phone-none
TV by cable-none

Time Warner purchased my cable/phone and internet provider and I got a notice that I had been on a "Special rate" of $85 and that has expired.  I can continue at the standard rate of $109. 

So I started thinking-
Humm, I have a digital TV which I don't watch very much anyway, and it will receive over the air broadcasts.
I have a free government phone with tons of minutes I never use.
And I have a 10meg internet.  I don't want to lose my internet and losing my phone number might bother me for a minute.  Okay, minute's up. It'll cause a few problems but so did changing my email address.
The customer service guy spent 45 minutes trying to talk me out of losing my phone number. Of course to keep the phone, (which has no long distance), I have to keep the whole package.  Then he started in on how much the internet alone will cost.  By adding fees, taxes, his cut-whatever, it comes to almost the same.  How can $55 be almost the same as $109?  

As I went to hang up he said, "We'll always be here for you"
Thanks
terrydec
terrydec

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Phoneless and TVless Empty Re: Phoneless and TVless

Post by tuberadiogeek on Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:54 pm

Time Warners rates can get funny somtimes. The main reason there rates can get funny is bc they strive to get you to bundle things together. When you do that they cut you a "break" on all the prices compared to how much each item would be on its own. Also they would rather you have digital cable over basic or standard. I only say that bc its actually wiser to get standard or digital over basic due to both only costing a bit more. Here you only get about 50 channels on standard due to them moving some to digital only. If you only wanted RR lite, it alone isnt that expensive, but isnt very fast either. I had RR lite with 2 computers, just doing basic web surfing and some music downloading and it was fine. Then my friend moved in and wanted to do online gaming, so we had to upgrade to RR standard.  Another thing about time warner is they always have unadvertised specials that may be a 1 month thing or a 1 year thing, all you have to do is call a CSR and inquire about any specials they may have at that current time.
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 648
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisc on Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:56 pm

I know what you mean.  I went with 'internet only',  greatly to the annoyance of ATT (now its $49 per month) , but since I still needed my land line I hooked the internet up to Vonage for the phone ($26 per month), keeping the old phone number. 

It was not pain-free and I did have to pay a one-time fee to have an internet hook up independent of the phone line, but we make a lot of international calls and this has been a huge money saver for us; all calls are free except for some overseas cellphones.  I can yack away to my old mum in the UK for as long as I like !

chrisc

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2012-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:31 pm

Are you in an area that has coverage with CLEAR ?  It does not provide cable tv, but on my service I get internet for home and a laptop and I use Vonage for my phone service.  It is $62.00 for the internet and $16 for the phone (voip). About the only time I really notice having it is when my neighbors ask if my phone is out too, when their L/L fails.
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4468
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:26 pm

This plan started when I moved into my house.  My basic cable had 13 channels, my phone was $25 a month and 10 Cents a minute long distance. 

At my old apartment, (where I didn't pay utilities), I had HD and a DVR, Classic cable, (History, discovery, etc) and unlimited phone for $225.  Since I had great surround sound systems in my living room and bedroom it was great.

My friend mentioned Magic Jack for phone and RabbitTV.  I don't understand how RabbitTV works.  You get this tiny USB device that looks like a key fob and 5,000 channels?  What's up with that?
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:51 pm

Just did a search and found this.  I will let you get it frome the horses' mouth.

http://www.amazon.com/Telebrands-Rabbit-TV/product-reviews/B00AWC51DW
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by ea327 on Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:34 pm

OK Terry, tell us more about your free government phone.
ea327
ea327

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2012-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:42 pm

I have a free government phone with tons of minutes I never use.
And I have a 10meg internet. 

WOW! how is this possible.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:45 pm

I don't understand how RabbitTV works. 

they just bring together all the TV episodes, free movies and streaming events from all over the Internet into one guide so you can quickly browse what's available online

It's a waste of $10. You can do the same thing with a one time purchace of a good blue-ray player. Just my opinion for what it is worth!

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:54 pm

A blu-ray player will cost you much much more than 10.00, and each blu-ray will cost you about 20.00. Rabbit Tv states it is 10.00 a year, that is cheaper than netflix or hulu plus. Sure you can probably find all that content online yourself, but you will be doing more searching than watching. If i had a graphics card that had a S-video out (i have an older tv) in my computer i'd get rabbit tv and say goodbye to my cable.
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 648
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:08 pm

Sorry, I thought Rabbit TV was $10 per month!  Embarassed

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:00 pm

ea327 wrote:OK Terry, tell us more about your free government phone.

As you know, a lot of miscellaneous and unspecified fees and taxes are added to your basic phone bill.  One of these fees goes to support a government sponsored "Lifeline" phone service to people who qualify.  To qualify you must be receiving some sort of aid which varies from state to state.  I qualify because I receive Section 8 renter's assistance.  Another qualifier might be food stamps.  You get the idea.
There are two providers, Assurance and Access.  With either one you get a free phone and 250 free minutes per month.  You can purchase extra minutes through various plans.
My provider is Access Wireless and my plan is with Kroger.
Actually having a cell is pretty cool. 

P.S. When did the site change?  I've been in the hospital trying not to die, and just barely succeeding.  
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:13 am

Bill had changed it a couple of weeks before he went into the hospital.  I was wondering where you had been,  Could you let us know how you are doing and why you were in the hospital?  Sorry to hear that news.
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:48 pm

I went into the hospital Friday night with an advanced colonist infection.  After 48 hours on restricted diet I was able to tolerate solid food and prepared to go home. 
Sunday night around 8 PM I became very manic, talking fast etc., Within minutes I felt like somebody had injected me with a big dose of adrenaline. I made it out of my room yelling help and immediately passed out and was totally unresponsive for a couple of hours.  I do remember having a few moments of lucidity, mostly screaming. "Am I dying ?"  I don't remember what anybody said. I remember being paralyzed and not being able to move my head, and being slapped around a lot by people screaming at me.  
The hospital is set up to deal with only two types of trauma-heart attack and stroke.  They went with stroke.  I was having mostly stroke symptoms but all of the tests came back positive.  The next thing I remember clearly is waking up in the stroke monitoring room.  It was a lot of fun.  They come in every half hour and make you raise your hands and feet, read some phrases and describe some pictures. At first I couldn't do any of them but I finally came around (Alright, it wasn't that much fun). Last night was the first decent sleep I had since Thursday.

Personally, I think it was a contaminated IV bag, but nobody really knows.  I do clearly remember being in a room with my head sticking out of a CAT machine looking up at a white tile ceiling thinking-NO-this ain't gonna be the way I go.  I started going "My name is Terry Decker, I live at XXX, I have a dog named Rocky and a cat named Kitten."  I did this over and over.  As many people will attest, especially my ex wife, I have EXTREMELY strong will power.  I'm convinced that was what kept me alive.  That and seeing my dog.  He is really great.  He even left me a nice welcome home present-he peed in the bed.  I don't blame him.  A bunch of strange people were coming and going and he was pissed I wasn't there. Shocked

Actually, I already had in place a program in case something like this happened.  I need to work out some kinks though.  For instance 4 different people fed Rocky and nobody fed the cat or emptied his box.  Am I glad to be alive- oh yeah.  Did I see a white light? No.  However I do remember seeing this dark red light and hearing wailing and gnashing of teeth. Twisted Evil
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:50 pm

I'm glad to see you got through it and that you are glad to be alive.  That is a heck of an experience to go through!!
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:39 pm

Yeah.  But now I have a problem.  What tha' heck happened and what should I do if it does happen again?  Had I not been right there right then I would have died.  You can't really stay unresponsive for very long without becoming NEVER responsive.

P.S. There seems to be a problem with missing medication.  There is an empty vial for Flomax that is missing and a vial of Mobic that was filled just days before I was admitted that is missing.  (I have the Flomax, it's just the vial that is missing).  So far nobody can account for where they are or where they went.  I've been told they were in the drawer next to the bed. A) I didn't even know that there was a drawer there and B) I was so hooked up I had to call for somebody to hand me something from that table.
Now, neither of these are narcotic or mood altering medications and I can of course replace the prescription and don't need a vial for medication I have.
However, there should be ZERO tolerance for ANY discrepancy in what medication I brought to the hospital and what I brought home.
I may have to photograph the Flomax and get a copy of the other prescription from my pharmacy.  I'll have to send that with a statement of these events to the hospital oversight, (or whatever), department.

Here's another strange thing.  My admitting doctor accused me of double-dipping medication.  In other words I was taking other medication, (sneaking it in I guess), and that's what caused my seizure.  And later he came into my room wanting to know why my family asked for him to be removed from my case.  I told him I don't even HAVE a family that could have called, so none did.  We later did get both of these straightened out.

But there are obviously MANY questions remaining- What happened to me?  Why did the doctor think I was supplementing my pain medication and why was he under the impression he had been contacted by my "Family".
Weird!  (Come to think of it, weird pretty much describes my life so why should I be surprised by any of this.)  Suspect
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:10 pm

You should be asking the doctor these questions.  I would ask him if was determined that you physically had an excess of medication in your system, or if it was a supposition based on your symptoms.  A doctor has to see many patients during the day and you have to do what you can to get your share of his time.  These questions are too important to let slide.
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:11 pm

Last night I wrote down everything I remember.  There are a LOT of discrepancies.  There is a problem with missing drugs, the confusion with the doctor and MOST important when I got home I found the pharmacy seals on the narcotic and mood altering drugs were broken.  Now the hospital is saying they were broken so the pills could be counted at my discharge.  WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!  The pills are counted on ADMISSION and then sealed so at discharge the patient can be assured they haven't been tampered with.  Of course all of the evidence is gone.  The IV bag that I'm sure was the source is probably shredded and buried in a landfill, the nurses have been told what to say or they lose their jobs and of course I've opened the vials that were supposed to be sealed in order to use the drugs.

However the next time the hospital calls I'm going to say that my attorney has advised me not to have any more discussion with them.  I don't have an attorney but maybe this will shake them up a little.  Heck, they might even offer a settlement.  Maybe I could finally afford an RCA 77.Twisted Evil
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:14 pm

Have you ever considered a paralegal as a source of counsel in these affairs?  they could advise on when and or if a proper lawyer should be contacted (on a contingency basis).
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:39 pm

I have a friend who is a super high priced lawyer in D.C.  He wasn't home but I stuck a note in his mailbox.  He'll tell me whether a)I have a case, b) don't have a case or c)he'll write them a letter on his office stationary.  Even if that's all he can do it should at least shake them up or they might fear litigation is eminent and try to settle.
That would be cool-
But I did almost die.  And I've never had this problem before or since.  Screw 'em. (the forum won't post my actual word) I really am upset and yeah, they should offer some compensation.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:56 pm

Well, If you do have a case, and have to get a attorney, contingency may be a way to go.  If you should consider that route, ask around before choosing one.  Some are, as the British say, no better than they ought to be.
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:10 pm

Trust me, there is NO ONE better than my friend. This guy doesn't get thousands for cases, he get Hundreds of thousands.  He lives in a house that cost a million and another million to remodel. If I can get his help or even help from who he suggests then I've got the best.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony V on Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:43 pm

I'm glad your your doing better Terry. It sounds like you had a rough few days. Hopefully this was a one time deal as i know you dont want to go through that again. Take care of yourself buddy! As far as what happened to you in the hospital, i think you definately got a case. You need to do something to ensure this doesnt happen to anyone else. Your lucky to be here but the next person may not be. Keep us posted!
Tony V
Tony V

Number of posts : 714
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:38 pm

Well, I'm pretty sure that the next time I need a hospital-that ain't gonna be it!
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:56 am

I have an appointment with my doctor today.  Unless he can talk me out of it I've decided to call the DEA. Lost prescriptions? narcotic and mood altering drug vials tampered with?
Time to call in the big guns.

I'll make a side bet- no matter how hot it is they'll show up in suits.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum