Can anyone identify if any of the plants are poison ivy?

Go down

Can anyone identify if any of the plants are poison ivy?   Empty Can anyone identify if any of the plants are poison ivy?

Post by tuberadiogeek on Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:48 pm

I shot a short video with my ipod since i currently do not have a camera. I found 2 plants and a tree that could be poison ivy,as they all have 3 pointy leaves and somewhat jagged edges on them. I just want to be certain they are poison ivy before i cut them and attempt to kill them. If they are not i plan to leave them be and let them be a cover along the fence line and if the tree is i plan to have my landlord deal with it, as it's probably 30-40 ft high. I read online that PI cant become a tree, but i do not always believe everything online. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10200452726935549&l=206294005623294046 (link to the video on my FB)
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 647
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Can anyone identify if any of the plants are poison ivy?   Empty Re: Can anyone identify if any of the plants are poison ivy?

Post by Guest on Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:02 am

Poison Ivy leaves are usually very shinny. That does not look like poison ivy to me.

Back to top Go down

Can anyone identify if any of the plants are poison ivy?   Empty Re: Can anyone identify if any of the plants are poison ivy?

Post by tuberadiogeek on Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:31 am

I know they are usually shiny, but i know it is lurking near-by that general area bc i apparently found it the hard way. I had high weeds the city was on me about and i didnt have time to look around to see if any of it was PI, i just started cutting it down then 3 days later i had it and its finally starting not to bother me as much. I'll probably just make an attempt to kill all that greenery to be on the safe side since i'm not certain what it is.
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 647
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:50 am

Poison ivy has shiny or greasy looking leaves.  There is a type of ivy that is nearly identical to it in appearance that is not poison ivy.  The leaves are duller.  If there is a landscaper that you could contact, or if there is a nursery nearby, they might be better able to advise you.  I do not do Facebook, so I did not see your video.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by ea327 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:21 am

sounds like pot.
ea327
ea327

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2012-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:32 am

ea327 wrote:sounds like pot.

The picture looks like it too!

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Johnson on Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:42 am

Nope, not poison ivy or pot.
Steve Johnson
Steve Johnson

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:30 pm

Three leaves let it be-four leaves- might be poison Oak.

(If it is pot I think I have a medical emergency.  Yep, my vision is getting bad)
terrydec
terrydec

Number of posts : 1124
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:06 pm

I don't think the first two are. The third one might be.
Ragwire
Ragwire

Number of posts : 510
Registration date : 2013-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:28 pm

I've been lucky in that I'm not affected by poison ivy.  I loaned my weed trimmer to a neighbor and he got it on his hands.  Aparrently I had been in it and cutting it without knowing it.  Still not sure what it looks like.
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4453
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:10 pm

It may be Ailanthus.

It is very invasive and is all over Virginia, from small plants to full sized trees!

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Johnson on Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:05 pm

FYI:  7 ways to kill poison ivy without using roundup.

http://www.realfarmacy.com/7-ways-to-kill-poison-ivy-without-using-roundup/

Vinegar works well.  Just get a spray bottle and spray it directly on the leaves a few times.
You need something that will soak into the leaves and kill the roots or it will just keep spreading.
Steve Johnson
Steve Johnson

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum