Firestone 4-A-25

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Firestone 4-A-25

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:36 pm

I bought this little dog-eared AA5 at an auction, for the simple reason that an ebay flipper wanted it. I had to go to $11 to rescue it, but I got it. I bid a GE up to $32 also an AA5, but it had a busted case. The ebay flipper got stuck with that one. There was no identification on it, but it was a PCB radio, I figured worth about $5. I made the guy mad because I had outbid him on the Firestone, and he was determined to get the GE. So I ran him to $32 and dumped the $5 radio on him. Look for it to appear on ebay in the near future with a BIG reserve! I figured it for a parts set or a bottom shelf queen. He'll have a tough time flipping it for anything near what he paid for it.

I was gonna keep running him up, but my wife made me stop. Bummer. I just LOVE messing with ebay flippers.

The little Firestone looks pretty good with one exception. The reverse painting is peeling pretty badly from the dial. I may be able to save most of it, then look for a repop dial someplace.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5282
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Firestone 4-A-25

Post by Guest on Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:23 am

Great story, I'm glad you put that E-bay flipper in his place! Very Happy lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:47 pm

Lest I be considered to be more of a jerk than I really am, I am not ragging on ALL ebay flippers. Just this ONE ebay flipper. The guy smokes these stinky cheap cigars and thinks that ebay would crash and burn without him. When the guy thinks he has a gold mine in sight, he will bid the moon. I ran the guy up on a Johnny Cash "Live at Folsom Prison" album to $85 right after Johnny Cash has passed away. Every antique and old record store in creation has a dozen copies of that album. I have three myself. It is in no way rare, or even that desirable. I run him up on stuff all the time. He gets mad when I outbid him. He has the same attitude about radio collectors and I do ebay flippers. It is too bad that the same people he dislikes so much are the buyers of stuff he has paid too much for, thanks to yours truly.

Just doing what I can to help, you know.

BTW, the little Firestone radio is gonna be a dandy. It has a nasty oscillation squeal, but methinks that the line isolation cap is kaput.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Brig on Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:20 pm

What is "E-bay flipping"? I only patronize Buy It Now listings.

Brig

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2011-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:26 pm

"Flipping" is the terminology referring to buying something and immediately putting it back up for sale, with the intention of making a profit, such as a house, a car, a radio, etc.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Brig on Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:28 pm

Thanks for the clear explanation. Is the practice necessarily bad?

Brig

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2011-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryRabbitt on Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:56 pm

I hate those that just buy something to flip, but it's one of those things you can't worry about. I collect radios and want to find something for my collection, such as at an auction. These clueless bidders are only interested in flipping the radio and could care less about if it is a collection or not.
Have you ever been a collector of anything, then one of your friends decides to "start collecting those too" ? Now, everybody and their dogs are collecting what you have.
I'd be very careful about bidding up another peron. For some reason, they just may stop bidding! Now, you're stuck.
"Flipping" in the flipper's eyes is ok. I just wish they'd go buy something else, because in the end, they are in it for the $$, not to collect.
GaryRabbitt

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:45 am

Well said, Gary. I don't worry about flippers. I just dislike this flipper who goes to the same auctions I do. And, yes, I have gotten stuck a time or two running him up. But I got the radio. I figure it as part of doing business. My thing is rescuing a radio from an uncertain fate. Cost is a secondary consideration. I enjoy using this guy's greed against him.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:47 pm

You need to get a Yuuuup! cap to wear when your rival is there. Very Happy
75X11

Number of posts : 5019
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:53 pm

That is a dandy idea! I bid kinda loudly, so YUUUUP! would fit in nicely. I may just try that. It would make that guy nuts.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:11 pm

MY wife reminds me on occasions like this that I am supposed to be downsizing.  Buying more radios is NOT downsizing.  Once a person has "the fever", it is tougher than I realized to truly make a conscience effort to downsize.  In my defense, I HAVE sold some tubes, and I HAVE sold a couple Philco D-10 changers that I was going to trash anyway.  And I sold the remnants of an old Philco chassis to a buddy who needed the parts.  So, pardon me ma'am, but I AM downsizing.  Now if that ebay flipper would just stay home.  And providing that I don't run across a Crosley 66TA, and.......

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:07 pm

One thing that helps is to not just work with the cost of the item, but also the cost of usable space the item will take up.  Get an item and divest a similarly sized item.  That is what I do.  I don't have a wife, but the house will turn into a habitrail if I don't put as well as take.
75X11

Number of posts : 5019
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:36 pm

Getting rid of something in order to get another something makes no sense to me.  Collecting, to me, means having more of a specific item than most people would find reasonable.  That fits me to a "T."  No way would I part with something that I put some of myself into to fix and make work again.  Do you see the problem I am having with downsizing?

I got this little Firestone AA5 working like a champ.  I did a full recap on it with exception of the filter cap.  It is okay for now and will have to be re-stuffed, due to space restrictions.  I have a old filter cap that I am going to restuff and install later.  I will probably paint the cabinet, since the frau says it is ugly.  I did a thorough alignment as well.  It plays well with good sensitivity and volume.  It has all Firestone branded tubes probably some (all) are original to the set.  I had to put a new polarized power cord on it and a new dial bulb.  This one will get a hot rodded paint job.  The back was all nasty and water soaked and warped, so I made a new one out of tempered Masonite.  Once again, the frau has cabbaged onto one of my radios, and has made it "hers."  That might be a good way to downsize.  Just get more radios, and make them "hers."  Although the color (refrigerator white) has been declared ugly, the radio itself has been declared cute.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top