May I Join The Group?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

May I Join The Group?

Post by mikhail7 on Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:33 am

Hello, guys,

Just me, Mike, from Arf. Greetings one and all and best of luck with this new safe harbor. Found the link, rolled back the cover and here I am. Can never have too many useful resources, such as this forum; this is number 5 I've joined, from never having been on before, since early February this year, four antique tube radio forums and one WW II warbirds one, but I need the typing practice and the 'pooter experience, and I like the fellowship. Great emoticons, mind if I try some? clown cat affraid bounce farao lol! cyclops study

mikhail7

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2008-03-13

Back to top Go down

Re: May I Join The Group?

Post by Uffda on Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:43 am

Hi Mike. I just got here a few hours ago. What are the other forums besides ARF and 807? May be one I don't know about.

-Phil

Uffda

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by LarryC on Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:52 am

Hi Welcome to this site , hehe all are welcome
LarryC

Number of posts : 88

Back to top Go down

Post by mikhail7 on Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:33 pm

Hi, guys. Thanks for the welcome. Uffda, other forums I'm on are Philco Phorum, and web-birds.com, which is one about WW II combat aircraft, tho there's very little current activity on that one. Glad to see you guys!

Mike

mikhail7

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldsmobile Man on Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:41 pm

The one about the combat craft... Is it strictly American or Japaneese and Nazi as well?

Last edited by Oldsmobile Man on Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Oldsmobile Man

Number of posts : 151

Back to top Go down

Post by mikhail7 on Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:11 pm

I've seen American and German aircraft; fighters, bombers, recon, transport, liason, I think as long it's WW II it's fair game. So far, all informational inquiries have been about American units.

Mike

mikhail7

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldsmobile Man on Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:13 pm

hmm, I may join then... Can you post us a link?
Oldsmobile Man

Back to top Go down

Post by mikhail7 on Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:23 pm

Sure thing, OM, here's
[url=web-birds.com]web-birds.com[/url]

Mike

mikhail7

Back to top Go down

Post by mikhail7 on Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:23 pm

oops, did that go in right?

Mike

mikhail7

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldsmobile Man on Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:27 pm

I don't think you have to make it a url I think it does that automatically

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Oldsmobile Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:41 pm

Very Happy That makes 29 members so far. Very Happy
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 989

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldsmobile Man on Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:43 pm

WOO HOO We are growing fast... I am thrilles folks are joining... I'd Love to see more...

Welcome to you all
Robert
Oldsmobile Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:56 pm

mikhail7 wrote:oops, did that go in right?

Mike

When you submit a URL it doesn't change color, Which it should, be that as it may, if you use the Link icon at the top of the message screen, you have a pop-up window appear with two lines you can fill out, the first and top line is to insert your URL then on the second line type in the words "Click Here" or something that it identifies it as a "LINK" .

if you don't use second line (it has a link with the letter a partially hidden behind the picture of the link)
Your link will still show but will only change color when you put your mouse pointer on it, then you can click it and it will take you to the link that was referenced.

Hope this helps Cool
Resistance is Futile

Back to top Go down

Post by mikhail7 on Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:32 pm

Thanks, Resistance, I clicked on the one without the [URL] etc. and it worked. As long as it works. I'm still pretty 'pooter stupid, so please forgive. Important thing is ya can get there from here I guess.

mikhail7

Back to top Go down

Post by oldtimer on Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:23 am

There are no such people as Japs!!! They are Japanese people, our friends! Mad Rolling Eyes

oldtimer

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2008-04-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:00 am

Not to argue, but some may think different with WW2 veterans and by loved ones that were over in the Pacific and they were killed.
Just like the term Nazi, No we could call them Germans but then there is something lost in the translation. Just to be politically correct makes the atrocities into milk toast don't you think?. Question
Now if one were to attack another person in our forum by making that into a derogatory remark to someone specifically then thats a horse of a different color.

Thats like the Vietcong, would you expect anyone to call them Vietnamese Cong?

The National Front for the Liberation of South Vietnam (Vietnamese Mặt trận Dân tộc Giải phóng miền Nam Việt Nam), also derogatively known as the Việt Cộng (VC), or the Front National pour la Libération (FNL), was an insurgent (partisan) organization fighting against the government of the Republic of Vietnam (South Vietnam) during the Vietnam War (1960-1975). The NLF was funded, equipped and staffed by personnel from both South Vietnam and the Democratic Republic of Vietnam (North Vietnam). The Front's military organization was known as the People's Liberation Armed Forces. (PLAF). The PLAF was, according to the official history, strictly subordinated to the Lao Dong Party's General Staff in Hanoi. The term "Việt Cộng" (the Vietnamese term for Vietnamese Communist - Việt Nam Cộng Sản), was created by United States Information Agency officials for utilization by Ngo Dinh Diem, the first president of South Vietnam. It was useful during his Denounce the Communists Campaign of the early 1960s since the popular South Vietnamese title for the insurgents at the time was Viet Minh, which carried negative connotations for the fledgling government. American forces during the ensuing Vietnam War continued to refer to members of the NLF as Victor Charlie or simply Charlie, from the NATO phonetic alphabet. This usage also tended to negate the "positive" title of the organization.

Chicago Manual Style (CMS): National_Front_for_the_Liberation_of_South_Vietnam. Reference.com. Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] (accessed: April 22, 2008).

The first recorded use of Jap was in 1860 to refer to members of the Japanese embassy in the United States. An example of benign usage was the previous naming of Boondocks Road in Jefferson County, Texas, originally named "Jap Road" when it was built in 1905 to honor a popular local rice farmer from Japan. Later popularized during World War II to describe those of Japanese descent, Jap was then commonly used in newspaper headlines to refer to the Japanese and Imperial Japan. "Jap" became a derogatory term during the war, more so than "Nip."Some in the United States Marine Corps also tried to combine the word "Japs" with "Apes" to create a new description, "Japes", for the Japanese. However, this new word never became popular. Veteran and author Paul Fussell explains the usefulness of the word during the war for creating effective propaganda by saying that "Japs" "was a brisk monosyllable handy for slogans like "Rap the Jap" or "Let's Blast the Jap Clean Off the Map."
--------------------------------
And of course the word Nip was an abbreviation of Nipponese

And of course these are considered derogatory especially by the Japanese because it reminds them of the defeat of Japan, and is considerable embarrassment to them. Of course they used derogatory remarks to our POWs. Even the American Indians used terms such as white eyes, and pale face. Where do you want to go?

Using derogatory remarks are a form of self defense because they cannot express their feelings with compassion sometimes. IMHO Suspect
Resistance is Futile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top