New Project...another green Westinghouse

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New Project...another green Westinghouse

Post by Ragwire on Tue May 28, 2013 12:15 pm

This one is in better shape than my first project, but I think I will spend more time on it trying to make it look and operate as new as possible.







avatar
Ragwire
Member
Member

Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2013-05-20

Back to top Go down

Re: New Project...another green Westinghouse

Post by Ragwire on Wed May 29, 2013 10:43 pm

Got the face remade. It was dirty. Cleaning it made it worse. Good thing I scanned it for a template. Whew!

Rob

avatar
Ragwire
Member
Member

Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2013-05-20

Back to top Go down

Re: New Project...another green Westinghouse

Post by Ragwire on Fri May 31, 2013 10:41 pm

Finally got the clock face reproduced:

avatar
Ragwire
Member
Member

Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2013-05-20

Back to top Go down

Re: New Project...another green Westinghouse

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri May 31, 2013 10:43 pm

Nice job..........

_________________
Please also join us here;  http://videokarma.org/index.php
avatar
Bill Cahill
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4539
Age : 66
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Re: New Project...another green Westinghouse

Post by Ragwire on Fri May 31, 2013 10:46 pm

Thanks, Bill. A lot of hours.
avatar
Ragwire
Member
Member

Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2013-05-20

Back to top Go down

Re: New Project...another green Westinghouse

Post by Tony V on Fri May 31, 2013 10:51 pm

Nice job! What all was involved in recreating the dial face? This gives hope to alot of clock radio's out there.
avatar
Tony V
Moderator
Moderator

Number of posts : 620
Age : 48
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Re: New Project...another green Westinghouse

Post by Ragwire on Fri May 31, 2013 11:27 pm

Thanks...I scanned the original as a template at 600 dpi.
Then used GIMP2 (a freeware Photoshop kind of program) to clean it up. MS Paint was used to make the dot patterns, etc., and the fonts were from MS Paint, but manually modified. Scaling it was a bit of a doing...but I got it with some math and trial and error. It was printed on glossy photopaper at high quality settings. Then, after cutting it out and making the holes, it was clear coated with laquer on both sides. Very gently on the clearcoat at first with many "mist" coats before and kinf of wet coat so the ink doesn't run. Now that it is tough and water resistant, I used strips of razor cut low tack tape to mask everything but the gray star bursts. That was misted and coated with Testors Aluminum Plate Buffing Metalizer in a spray can. Buffed to a shine, and carefully demasked. Ready to glue on once the clock is reinstalled in the cabinet.

Rob
avatar
Ragwire
Member
Member

Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2013-05-20

Back to top Go down

Re: New Project...another green Westinghouse

Post by Ragwire on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:02 pm

A reasonable facsimile of the original power supply dual capacitor is done:

avatar
Ragwire
Member
Member

Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2013-05-20

Back to top Go down

Re: New Project...another green Westinghouse

Post by 75X11 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:22 pm

Really looking nice so far!
avatar
75X11
Member
Member

Number of posts : 4900
Age : 61
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Re: New Project...another green Westinghouse

Post by Ragwire on Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:22 am

If I don't screw this up, I think it will be a good, usable radio. I think it was stored more than used.

cheers
Rob
avatar
Ragwire
Member
Member

Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2013-05-20

Back to top Go down

Re: New Project...another green Westinghouse

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum