Edison Home model B Converted with Cygnet horn

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Edison Home model B Converted with Cygnet horn

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon May 27, 2013 11:00 am

Well, this has been a never ending project......
I will always have things to improve on it.
I had the main spring break on me a few months back, and, am finally going to bite the bullet. I'm sending the spring barrel, and, some other parts to a friend to repair for me. He is going to replace my broken main spring, and, lubricate that.
I sent him the mandrel, and, gated end bearing to him. There is some noticeble wear in both, and, He is going to machine them back into perfect shape.
It's hard to find these parts in perfect shape, and, it's always been a pain to me how the mandrel is just a little too loose, and, when I get play to sop, it is then too tight, and, binds.
So, he is going to machine the end bearing again to get it to fit shaft properly. Bearing is a replacement. Original was shot, and, the conversion kit isn't original to this machine.
The one with it was severely rusted, and, badly pitted. This machine was a junker when I got it over te years, or, more, ago.
Doing these things will improve power, and, further cut mechanical noise down.
Now, I wish I could find someone who would trade me an O reproducer for it. I have C, and, H reproducers on it right now.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4523
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Re: Edison Home model B Converted with Cygnet horn

Post by antiqueradiobuff on Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:53 pm

This is good news Bill I know how hard parts are to come by and replacing a spring thats broken is no easy task I know I have done several.
antiqueradiobuff

Number of posts : 175
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Ron Pond on Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:33 am

This is somewhat off topic but my first Edison cylinder phonograph was a Home Model A that I rescued from the side of the road in one of those roadside collection drives they have here once a year.

I was looking at it on the curbside when the person who threw it out approached me. I thought she was going to tell me to clear off but she said she was wondering why someone would want "that old sewing machine".

I told her what it really was and she said to take it and anything else I wanted, as they were moving out before the trash pickup date and they didn't want the rubbish spread all over the place after they left.

It just needed a good clean, lubrication, new belt and a horn to make it complete. I had it for over 20 years before trading it for some nice old radios but in retrospect, I wish I had kept it.

Ron.
Ron Pond

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top