Oklahoma Tornado

Go down

Oklahoma Tornado Empty Oklahoma Tornado

Post by Guest on Tue May 21, 2013 4:19 pm

Oklahoma tornado spread destruction like a 'two-mile-wide lawnmower blade'

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/21/us/severe-weather/index.html

I feel pretty bad about complaining of all the mowing I've had to do so far this spring. I'm sure the good people in Oklahoma would by happy to trade problems with me. I just came in for a few minutes (yes, from mowing) and decided to post this. As I rode around on my mower and looked at everything in place I started to think of all the people in Oklahoma who don't even recognize where their home was. We all need to pray for these people.

Back to top Go down

Oklahoma Tornado Empty Re: Oklahoma Tornado

Post by simplex1040 on Tue May 21, 2013 6:41 pm

yes we do.
simplex1040
simplex1040

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2008-03-14

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Tue May 21, 2013 7:29 pm

I seen some pictures from it. I was thinking lots of the homes and buildings would of had a much better chance of surviving if they would been built with better materials and techniques like older buildings were built. Not only that but not built so fast. I mean most buildings are cheap pine lumber and super thin OSB. Sometimes with inexpensive cinder blocks and plaster. Most of that types of buildings would be lucky to survive 100 mph straight line winds, let alone 200 mph twister..
I'm glad i live in an older home, even though we dont generally see tornadoes in my part of Ohio, but it can happen. Although we do sometimes get some pretty wicked straight line winds.
I guess my point is wouldnt it be better to use a little more expensive materials and slow down a bit when building things and having them maybe sustain some damage then to build cheaply and fast and having them be practically leveled in the event of a natural disaster??? I'm not just saying Oklahoma, but everywhere.. Just something to think about...

Last edited by tuberadiogeek on Tue May 21, 2013 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot to finish spelling buildings)
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 647
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by simplex1040 on Tue May 21, 2013 8:02 pm

tuberadiogeek wrote:I seen some pictures from it. I was thinking lots of the homes and buildings would of had a much better chance of surviving if they would been built with better materials and techniques like older buildings were built. Not only that but not built so fast. I mean most buildings are cheap pine lumber and super thin OSB. Sometimes with inexpensive cinder blocks and plaster. Most of that types of buildings would be lucky to survive 100 mph straight line winds, let alone 200 mph twister..
I'm glad i live in an older home, even though we dont generally see tornadoes in my part of Ohio, but it can happen. Although we do sometimes get some pretty wicked straight line winds.
I guess my point is wouldnt it be better to use a little more expensive materials and slow down a bit when building things and having them maybe sustain some damage then to build cheaply and fast and having them be practically leveled in the event of a natural disaster??? I'm not just saying Oklahoma, but everywhere.. Just something to think about...

Did you happen to see the concrete block elementary school and the concrete block medical center????
There is no way any building no matter what age could have survived those twisting 200+ MPH winds. It peels old brick buildings apart. "better materials" would not have survived that either.

simplex1040
simplex1040

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue May 21, 2013 8:05 pm

The problem with tornadoes is not only can they get much stronger winds than a huricane, but, litterally, the winds are swirling around.
I know that we always used to be told In a tornado warning, open all windows in the house. Now, whether that is really accurate, I can't say.
I will certainly keep them in my prayers.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4399
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue May 21, 2013 8:07 pm

I'd have to agree that due to the twisting force of tornadoes, plus, the severity of the winds, no place had a chance.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4399
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by simplex1040 on Tue May 21, 2013 8:37 pm

Bill Cahill wrote:The problem with tornadoes is not only can they get much stronger winds than a huricane, but, litterally, the winds are swirling around.
I know that we always used to be told In a tornado warning, open all windows in the house. Now, whether that is really accurate, I can't say.

They once believed that opening windows would equalize the pressure and cause structure to remain standing but research has found that it is a wind factor not a pressure factor.
simplex1040
simplex1040

Back to top Go down

Post by fixinmyphono on Tue May 21, 2013 8:57 pm

I wonder if the had some kind of bomb shelter like thing for a basement they could go into if they had an alert if that would of helped them? My prayers are with them for sure.
fixinmyphono
fixinmyphono

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2011-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by mikehall on Tue May 21, 2013 9:05 pm

Bill Cahill wrote:The problem with tornadoes is not only can they get much stronger winds than a huricane, but, litterally, the winds are swirling around.

Mythbusters did a segment on that I think. Conclusion was it doesn't help, and can hurt, IIRC.

mikehall

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2012-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue May 21, 2013 9:29 pm

fixinmyphono wrote:I wonder if the had some kind of bomb shelter like thing for a basement they could go into if they had an alert if that would of helped them? My prayers are with them for sure.

As prone as that region is to tornadic activity, it would seem like that would be a good investment for any community there.
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4453
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by fixinmyphono on Tue May 21, 2013 9:37 pm

I live on Long island and the folks that live along the shoreline were devastated by hurricane Sandy WE LIVE in the paths of hurricanes but many will rebuild with the help of Uncle Sam. It is only a matter of time before another storm will come along and wipe us out once more.Folks in San Francisco have another earthquake hanging over their heads every day.We are either brave or fools Im still not sure which.....
fixinmyphono
fixinmyphono

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Tue May 21, 2013 10:01 pm

I wasnt meaning all buildings/homes would survive, but alot would have a better chance. I know what tornadoes can do, there have been plenty close by.. I havent seen many pictures just a few that were on facebook posted by news organizations.
When we get severe storms with the possibility of tornadoes they state get to the basement. If no basement get to the lowest level of your house and in a room with the lowest number or no windows. If in a building like a store or school, either go to a hallway,cooler or freezer. In school many years ago during tornado drills they taught us to crouch down facing the wall in the hallway and put your hands on top of your head. That way in the event of flying debris your head is somewhat protected.
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by fixinmyphono on Tue May 21, 2013 10:06 pm

Reminds me of the nuclear attack drills we had in elementry school. Get under your desk put your hands over your head.And kiss your keaster goodbye...pardon the pun..
fixinmyphono
fixinmyphono

Back to top Go down

Post by simplex1040 on Tue May 21, 2013 10:09 pm

fixinmyphono wrote:I wonder if the had some kind of bomb shelter like thing for a basement they could go into if they had an alert if that would of helped them? My prayers are with them for sure.

Here is what they sell. they are buried in the ground. a basement would have helped because it is below the wind shear. we use our basement

http://www.shelters-of-texas.com/welcome.html
simplex1040
simplex1040

Back to top Go down

Post by fixinmyphono on Tue May 21, 2013 10:14 pm

simplex1040 wrote:

Here is what they sell. they are buried in the ground. a basement would have helped because it is below the wind shear. we use our basement

http://www.shelters-of-texas.com/welcome.html

Cool! Te big one would be best as I would think with all the debris about it might take some time for someone to get one out of it . One should stock it with food and water to last a few days till they could get out .Some kind of toilet would be good too.
fixinmyphono
fixinmyphono

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Tue May 21, 2013 10:24 pm

fixinmyphono wrote:Reminds me of the nuclear attack drills we had in elementry school. Get under your desk put your hands over your head.And kiss your keaster goodbye...pardon the pun..
Pretty much so.. apparently they used to (or possibly still do) teach the same thing in California during earthquake drills. I only know that because when i was in highschool i had a teacher that was from Oakland. I told him about the tornado drills and he said that was exactly how earthquake drills were. By the time i was in highschool we no longer had tornado drills. Why? IDK..
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by fixinmyphono on Tue May 21, 2013 10:47 pm

Maybe they figured that you learned the drills well enough by high school and would instinctively get under the desk? Wink
fixinmyphono
fixinmyphono

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Tue May 21, 2013 11:12 pm

Possibly.. However, i do not believe they teach them now days. I only say that because my little brother graduated 2 years ago and i never heard him ever mention he had to do any tornado drills the entire time he was in school.
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum