Today's auction finds

Go down

Today's auction finds Empty Today's auction finds

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat May 18, 2013 9:44 pm

My wife and I go to an auction of some kind most Saturdays. Our "together" time, I guess. She digs thru the "girl junk" dishes, doilies, old broken appliances that she is sure that I can fix, ugly end tables and weird lamps. Fun, fun, fun! Today, for a change, I actually found something I wanted to buy. I spent a grand total of $4. I bought a 10" Zero oscillating fan in great condition for $3, and a small stack of about 20 LP's for a dollar. Except for an Acker Bilk album, they were all old country. I wanted the stack for a Willie Nelson-Ray Price album, "San Antonio Rose." I was digging thru the stack and found an album by an artist that I was not familiar with, Hambo Latham. The title of the album is "Hambo In A Plain Brown Wrapper", is in stereo, and on the B-O-C label. It said on the album cover to obtain additional copies of the album write to PO BOX 7-11, Macks Creek, MO. Macks Creek is a little town in Camden County, MO where the "You are entering" and the "You are leaving" signs are on the same pole! So I Googled Hambo Latham, and found he has a video titled "If My Nose Was Running Money (I Would Blow It All On You)" on You Tube. This must be a local Missouri artist. He writes his own material, which is on the Homer and Jethro vein. Pretty good stuff with some good pickin'. I just love auctions. I never know what I will find.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Today's auction finds Empty Re: Today's auction finds

Post by 75X11 on Sat May 18, 2013 10:48 pm

Those are one of the best sources of quality time that I know of.
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4453
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat May 18, 2013 11:26 pm

The amazing fact about these records is their condition is excellent. The albums look like they have never been used. The celophane wrappers are still on most of them. The records are all in their paper sleeves, which is practically unheard of. I have played parts of several records, and they are in amazingly good condition. She played these on an old Soundesign stereo from the 1970's that she bought from K-Mart. The kind with "components", a turntable, dual cassette deck, equalizer, tuner and amp all in a stackable cabinet with a glass front. It had two tall speakers with a 5" woofer and a 1" tweeter and like 2 watts of power. The audiophools would decry this setup as a record killer, but I have bought records played on audiophool approved equipment that were in worse shape. The one at this sale sold for $5. The Willie Nelson-Ray Price album was worth the wait.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Delk on Mon May 20, 2013 9:14 am

I found an old platter a fews ago in almost new condition, it was 1923 release, Homer & Jerthro's "Songs your momma never sang". The platter must weigh 3 pounds btu it plays well and one of funnies country recording I have ever heard.
Ben Delk
Ben Delk

Number of posts : 436
Registration date : 2012-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon May 20, 2013 10:20 am

Homer, and, Jethro wer good at comic country singing. Weren't they the ones on "The Beverly Hillbillys"?

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4399
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Delk on Mon May 20, 2013 11:09 am

I do believe you correct
Bill Cahill said:
Homer, and, Jethro wer good at comic country singing. Weren't they the ones on "The Beverly Hillbillys"?

I believe you are correct Bill.......also type-o ...The album was release in 1961. My favorite track is "Don't jump off of the Dad>

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=songs+your+mother+never+sang+you&qs=AS&sk=&FORM=QBIR&pq=%22songs%20your%20mother%20never%20sang%22&sc=1-30&sp=1&qs=AS&sk=#view=detail&id=E254B37A0A90BBA608A95C360FD984A55A7658DD&selectedIndex=2
Ben Delk
Ben Delk

Number of posts : 436
Registration date : 2012-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon May 20, 2013 2:20 pm

Flatt and Scruggs did the theme and were guests on the hillbillies, but Homer and Jethro did commercials for Kellogg's corn flakes that were aired on the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T91X2c3jL7o
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon May 20, 2013 2:31 pm

I keep getting those groups mixed up. But, they were both good.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4399
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon May 20, 2013 5:11 pm

Here is where Homer and Jethro worked during their radio days.

http://www.wlshistory.com/WLS30/
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum