It sure is quiet around here

Go down

It sure is quiet around here Empty It sure is quiet around here

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri May 17, 2013 12:38 pm

Knock. Knock. Anybody there? Does this contraption still work? Am I still connected? Boy, it sure is quiet around here. Nothing much going on. Are you still out there, Bill? MEZ? Anybody? Are you mowing? Working in the garden? Snoozing?

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4925
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

It sure is quiet around here Empty Re: It sure is quiet around here

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri May 17, 2013 12:48 pm

Hi. Trying to catch up on sleep. I was up all night. I was in bed, but, couldn't sleep.
This is just what I've been wondering about. People come, then, just sit there, and,d o nothing.
We can't have activity if everybody waits for everybody else.
Come on, guys, help us here!
Surely you are doing something. They're posting at VK, ARF, and, on face book. But, it's nearly dead here.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4455
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Fri May 17, 2013 1:48 pm

I'm in mucho pain and spending time in bed too, mostly doing a lot of reading and trying to avoid the media's latest "State of Fear story.

P.S. I stay away from Facebook. Who needs 1,000 friends anyway?

I have three or four projects on the bench and an ongoing problem about a defective printer I bought on eBay, but I just don't have the energy to deal with it.
At least the weather is nice, except for the rain.
Some fun, huh?
terrydec
terrydec

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by mikehall on Fri May 17, 2013 4:40 pm

Since there has been a lot of discussion here about lack of participation lately, and reasons why, I thought I'd throw this out.
I've noticed a few items on Ebay I was watching go for less than usual amounts based on completed listing prices. Are there any "seasonal" effects there also?? People finally out and too busy??

mikehall

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2012-12-27

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Fri May 17, 2013 5:02 pm

Yes- Summer is the WORST time to list. I've had items listed in June and didn't get a single hit. But from September on I sometimes stuff sells like crazy
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri May 17, 2013 5:05 pm

No. I'd say that's due to the economy. or, what's left of it.
Alot of stuff has dropped drastically in value.
And, even though I have instructions on face book that I only want to see friends, they keep offering me new friends. I delete the posts.
I hate facebook.
I joinned it because of Refugees of ARF, and, Philco fourms.
That's all.
Now, in spite of my settings, facebook keeps wanting me to accept many new friends, read blogs, whatever they are, and, create my onw something, or, other. I don't get it, and, I don't want to.
Sorry about your problems, Terry. I know how it feels. My legs, and, stomach have increasingly been causing me trouble. I got NO sleep last night. Now, I have found out from the city that a neighbor has lodged a complaint about my back yard.
What a week!

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri May 17, 2013 5:26 pm

I have been mowing. I've had enough. Running a weedeater is not as much fun as it was 30 years ago. I am going to the shop to work on that Hallicrafters radio. BTW, gas is up to $3.95 here. Up 60 cents THIS WEEK!!!

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4925
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri May 17, 2013 6:23 pm

I've been mowing, and mowing, and mowing, and mowing! Gas is starting to now creep up here as well. I also have a huge job going on right now wiring a bank for phones and computers. Next week will will be installing a complete new phone system and I will be doing lots of programming. I have to get ready for a trip tomorrow to visit my grandson for his birthday and see his new baby sister for the first time.

I'm sorry, but I will be back as soon as time permits. I'm a big outdoor person with a lot to take care of.

Last edited by MEZLAW on Fri May 17, 2013 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Fri May 17, 2013 8:34 pm

When it gets nice and stays nice i try to do as much as i can outside. I try to stay away from the computer and tv until right before bed. I will just sit out on my swing and listen to music for hours if there isnt anything to do.. just not with my stereo as i dont want to tick off my neighbor like i did yesterday while playing music inside.. lol.. Apparently my stereo and speakers are a little beefier than i thought.. i mean its only 30 wpc and probably had 14db of a boost with the loudness and bass up a bit.. lol..
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 651
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Fri May 17, 2013 9:43 pm

It's summer time-everything slows down including eBay. Believe me, I know-stuff that wouldn't get a hit in the middle of summer sells for hundreds in the fall. Here's an example. There was a motor I got in a box of old telephone parts for $25. I restored it and listed it in July at "Buy it Now" for $50. Nada. Later in the year that same motor at auction sold for $325. Shocked the crap out of me.
I have several examples but that's the best. Summer on eBay is like the stock market-buy low in the summer, sell high in the winter.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri May 17, 2013 11:16 pm

I have been working most of this evening on the fire alarm system that I mentioned last week. It now has a ground fault indication which means any wire in any circuit in a large building with at least one detection and/or annunciation device in each room. My head is hurting.
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4468
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sat May 18, 2013 12:30 am

Read a magazine or book, take a drink if you're so inclined, just stop thinking about it. Clear your mind. You know its not magic, its physical. And the minute you can completely stop thinking about it you'll probably remember-

A ha! Idea right, that connector, or box. Who knows, it might just be a defective annunciation unit. Or maybe where the wires terminate there's a loose screw, or if it's a punch down block a wire got nipped.
Or go stick you head in a tub of ice, whatever. cyclops
Different things work best for different people.
But somewhere in your mind you already know where the problem is. Now all you need is to remember it.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sat May 18, 2013 1:35 am

Thanks. I'll start digging again tomorrow.
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sat May 18, 2013 3:00 am

Good luck. Sounds like my old nemisis, the family tv. I'll be back on that soon. I'm going to take a rest from the New dog in the family, and, see about finnishing up the family set.
I will be finnishing posting of that in the original thread at ARF, since that's where it all started.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sat May 18, 2013 1:55 pm

I might have told this story, but it applies here.
I had just started work with an installation company in Miami. The first day was repairing a very complicated intercom system. The guy I was with did a lot of "Busy" work but accomplished nothing. I told my, (new), boss to send me out alone the next day.
I pulled all of the units and put them in a room together Then I started figuring out the wiring. Once I had them all working I knew exactly which wire was bad. I repaired the wire and reinstalled the units. The system worked perfectly and my boss was very impressed.
P.S- If you ever run across an Executone system remember that the power supply hot is the ground wire. It was a unique idea that removed hum with an unshielded wire. I've made a lot of money knowing that when other techs just couldn't get a handle on it.

I wish I was there helping. I REALLY miss doing installations and I was good at it. I did install an interconnected smoke detector system for my old landlord not long ago. My body hurt like hell after, but doing the job made me feel good. I also do most a of his simple electrical work. I really miss doing installations. A lot.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sat May 18, 2013 10:46 pm

Got into it this evening and with some repairs to the main signaling board and the replacement of 5 oddball circuit modules it is working properly again. For now. Knock on wood. If it keeps up, in a few days we will reconnect it to the halon supressant tanks. it has falsely released 6 tanks at $14k apiece. We want to be very sure this time. I was in the room during one dump. It was like the soundstage tor the tornado segment of The Wizard Of Oz.
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Sat May 18, 2013 11:02 pm

75X11 wrote:Got into it this evening and with some repairs to the main signaling board and the replacement of 5 oddball circuit modules it is working properly again. For now. Knock on wood. If it keeps up, in a few days we will reconnect it to the halon supressant tanks. it has falsely released 6 tanks at $14k apiece. We want to be very sure this time. I was in the room during one dump. It was like the soundstage tor the tornado segment of The Wizard Of Oz.

May I ask what kind of panel you are working on?

In my younger days I was a security/fire alarm tech, well on my way to a NICET level 2 in NFPA. I know all too well the "fun" of chasing down a ground fault on an SLC line/notification device line. Most of my experience is with Notifier/Fire-Lite panels. I also restore antique Notifier panels and have a small collection of vintage pull stations.
Dr. Radio
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun May 19, 2013 12:20 am

Sure. This one is a Pyrotronics CP-30 and it is a hunk 'o junk. We Have 5 or 6 facilities with old notifier panels. The old ones range from 1967 to 1980. We are having all of our facilities fitted with the latest notifier systems, but the area I work in has all older stuff with some siemens mxl systems thrown in. I got my level 2 last year and I'm the only one out of 28 techs that troubled to get it. It was a lucky break that this fault was in the panel.
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sun May 19, 2013 7:31 am

It's very interesting to find out the kinds of intelligent people we have here. You guys just amaze me................

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun May 19, 2013 12:47 pm

Here is a CrapCam image of one of our older alarm panels. It is one of a kind, no spare parts, no manufacturer info.

It sure is quiet around here 0605102030

75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Delk on Mon May 20, 2013 9:19 am

I have not had much time for blogging latley. With working all the time and remodeling my mother's house, I'm too tired to think most days. But mom is old and the house has had nothing done to in at least 20 years so......time for a little give back for all the years she gave to me. Most days I just walk by my radio repair bench and sigh.
Ben Delk
Ben Delk

Number of posts : 441
Registration date : 2012-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon May 20, 2013 10:17 am

But, think of the good you are doing......

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Delk on Mon May 20, 2013 10:54 am

You are correct Bill but my body is not so much in agreement.
Ben Delk
Ben Delk

Number of posts : 441
Registration date : 2012-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon May 20, 2013 2:23 pm

I know the feeling, Ben................ Embarassed Crying or Very sad

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Tue May 21, 2013 1:34 pm

Why has the Clubhouse forum been moved to the bottom of the list?
Gremlins?
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down