CD/DVD drive issues

Go down

CD/DVD drive issues Empty CD/DVD drive issues

Post by tuberadiogeek on Thu May 16, 2013 9:49 pm

As some of you may recall i just very recently installed XP home SP3 on my PC due to a HDD failure. Well a few days after i did so i went to install an adobe program my buddy gave me a few years ago on a CDR, well after it didnt auto start i was going to manually start it by double clicking the drive icon in "my computer". Well, it wasnt there. I restart after wiggling wires to be certain it wasnt unplugged. After a restart i trouble shoot it, and it tells me Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19) So i attempt to update the driver, no luck. Same problem.. So i figured i'd get another drive and just yank the OEM one and put it up to re-use later. Well fast forward to about half an hour ago. I was cleaning and found another CDRW/DVD ROM drive that my brother must of left me out of a junk PC. I put it in thinking it should recognize it and it would work with no issue.. Well, it recognized it but wasnt showing up, so i went to find the driver and installed it. Rebooted and still no drive. Troubleshooter states the same problem as the OEM drive. Never had an issue with the disc drive ever and did not see any drive errors in the event log.. Anyone make any sense of that?? If i have to i will make the drive external via USB. I'll just unhook my external HDD i'm not using.
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 647
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

CD/DVD drive issues Empty Re: CD/DVD drive issues

Post by Guest on Thu May 16, 2013 10:41 pm

Do you have any IRQ conflicts?

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Fri May 17, 2013 12:18 am

I wasnt sure what an IRQ conflict was until i looked it up. It is not showing any in the device manager. However there is a yellow exclamation point next to the drive when viewing the devices normally. Not when looking at the resources by type.
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri May 17, 2013 1:00 am

Can you remove the drive and let windows see it as new hardware and re-install it.

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Fri May 17, 2013 8:15 pm

Tried that. I did it by accident, when i pulled the drive too far to look at the model number. It unhooked the IDE cable. I restarted but didnt do any good.. I wouldnt think the IDE port would be bad seeing as it does show up in the device manager and windows recognized it up windows starting. Maybe i could try a SATA drive, but rather not try to buy a SATA drive and it not work.
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri May 17, 2013 8:57 pm

Could be a port problem, or, cd scratch causing bad installation. Notrice any skipping at it's loading??

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4392
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Fri May 17, 2013 10:12 pm

It will not play anything. The drive is not showing up in "my computer" and has an error code in the device manager.
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri May 17, 2013 10:22 pm

Sounds like a software problem. Check your cd disc.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4392
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by mr_ed01 on Fri May 17, 2013 10:51 pm

Is the drive recognized in the computer's Bios?

mr_ed01

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2012-03-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri May 17, 2013 11:06 pm

Tried that. I did it by accident, when i pulled the drive too far to look at the model number.

I'm sorry I didn't mean remove the drive itself, I meant remove the drive in programming, then go through the "new hardware found" proceedure. I believe to get this far the drive is in the BIOS, but it wouldn't hurt to check.

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Fri May 17, 2013 11:27 pm

The original drive was showing up in the bios. I'm pretty sure this other one is, but i havent looked in the bios. Ive only been in the bios once since ive had this computer. I uninstalled the drive, then searched for new hardware. It popped up and said there was a problem installing your new hardware. I went to the device manager and clicked on the drive then opened "my computer" and took a screenshot of what i am seeing. That way you guys can better understand what my issue is. Here is the link to my flickr set.. http://www.flickr.com/photos/benkeysor/sets/72157633506322917
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri May 17, 2013 11:36 pm

The screen shot does help, I can see it recognizes the drive OK. You may want to click on update driver and allow windows to look on the internet for a better driver. It looks like there is a corruption in the registry, and a new/different driver may clear it.

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sat May 18, 2013 12:01 am

I wish it were that simple, but it is not.. There was no better/different driver.. It is just being a royal pain in my arse... How can both drives be corrupt? Or is it a windows issue? I never had any issue like this before.. I'm thinking the only thing that will fix this issue is re-installing windows. Which i have no plans to do that any time soon. I will not put XP back on, it will be 7 or 8..
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sun May 19, 2013 6:31 pm

I dont know what happened, but my drive is working again. I didnt do anything to it, nor have i rebooted my computer since that day. Apparently my computer is weird with a mind of its own..
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down