Anybody else mowing grass every day?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Anybody else mowing grass every day? Empty Anybody else mowing grass every day?

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri May 10, 2013 12:26 am

With all the rain we have had, I mow grass every day. I mow our yard and those of two neighbors. I have to mow every day to keep up. It rains here, then turns warm, the grass grows, I mow, it rains, or snows, the grass grows, it gets warm, I mow. It has been like that for two months. The mushrooms are done around here. I guess we will go from winter right into summer. No spring this year.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4925
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Anybody else mowing grass every day? Empty Re: Anybody else mowing grass every day?

Post by Ben Delk on Fri May 10, 2013 7:56 am

Not sure how the weather is there but here I'd need to attach an outboard motor to my lawn tractor, geez it has been wet and we are expecting 2 more inches of rain by noon today.
Ben Delk
Ben Delk

Number of posts : 441
Registration date : 2012-04-03

Back to top Go down

Anybody else mowing grass every day? Empty Re: Anybody else mowing grass every day?

Post by Guest on Fri May 10, 2013 8:08 am

I can mow the lawn and the very next day run the mower again and see the grass has grown an inch. We normally make the first cutting of hay at the end of May or beginning of June. The hay is ready to cut now but we need 3/4 days of sun in order to cure and bale it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Delk on Fri May 10, 2013 8:17 am

Oh yeah, heat and rain in the south. It makes everything grow but my hair. I sure hope you are the tractor man and not still throwing bails on the trailer. Next to pulling corn that is the hot job I ever had as a kid.
Ben Delk
Ben Delk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri May 10, 2013 8:22 am

We don't do square bales anymore, we make round bales and spear them with another tractor. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Delk on Fri May 10, 2013 8:37 am

Sweet.....far more productive but a bit more waste. You bredding for milk, meat, money or fun?
Ben Delk
Ben Delk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri May 10, 2013 9:52 am

Fun! I just cut and bale hay, then sell it in early spring when everyone is out of hay. Much better price and I have one of those old "great barns" to store it in.

Back to top Go down

Post by simplex1040 on Fri May 10, 2013 12:26 pm

I could have baled my yard last week.
simplex1040
simplex1040

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2008-03-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri May 10, 2013 12:42 pm

Hey, MEZ, do you need any hay pitching help? Yes? Well, don't call me. I retired from hay pitching 40 years ago. My job was to run the baler. Little square bales. I had a brand new Oliver 1655 gas tractor and an old New Holland 76 baler. I named the baler Jackie, because every 50 bales like clockwork, it would have a "miscarriage." I needed to climb down off the tractor and clean the knotters every 49 bales for complete success. Ahhh. The good old days. I had the fanciest Oliver in the county. It had a chrome fan blade, an umbrella, power steering, and an AM-FM radio. Unheard-of luxury in 1968. There is not nearly enough fun baling those huge round bales and picking them up with another tractor. How can a young guy impress the farmer's daughter by tossing bales up on a wagon stacked ten rows high? Nothing like a sweaty young dude to get the hormones flowing in the farmer's off-spring. And, farmers throw stuff off those dumb lookng pickups with a hay spike on the back. Log chains, empty gas cans, feed sacks, all kinds of junk. And MUD. My goodness, where do they get all that mud that they sling all over the road. Usually after I just washed my car!

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri May 10, 2013 2:16 pm

I would love to find a good old square baler and go back to the days of small square bales.

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Fri May 10, 2013 9:42 pm

I just mowed today between the rain. With the mother in laws move today was the only day I could do it for a couple of weeks. I don't know what I wore out more myself or the weedeater I hadn't used it all year. I haven't had enough time other than just mow.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1392
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sat May 11, 2013 2:51 am

Atleast you have a weedeater to use Willy. I used mine for the first time this year then the muffler bolts broke when i was almost finished.. Now it sounds like a dirt bike if i run it. Which pretty much means i cant use it anymore.. My grass needs mowed again, and it hasnt even been a week, but it will be too wet to mow until probably late next week.
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 651
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sat May 11, 2013 2:43 pm

I mow every week because of the recent amount of rain. I should more often but I have more important things to do. For instance I haven't read all of the books in my library. study

I bought an electric mower and an electric trimmer. They work great, don't pollute the air and are quiet. I just moved into my own house so yard maintenance is a new experience. Some of my neighbors have commented on how nice I keep my lawn. It's not that hard and takes about an hour.

But, if you want a scary yard story-I grew up in a great place. There were two streams, several hills and part of the quarry that built the road. The problem is that my father, (who I later realized had some mental problems), insisted that every inch of it look like lawn. There was just under three acres. During my entire high schools years I never had a social life. All I did was cut grass. When I'd finish the last part the first part needed it again. We had to invent creative ways to pull a lawnmower up and down steep hills. And there was one area so boggy that the new owners made a large pond, almost a lake there.
Even now the smell of fresh cut grass sends a shiver down my spine. I've been trying to teach my dog to do it-so far unsuccessfully. confused
terrydec
terrydec

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sat May 11, 2013 6:58 pm

I mow my grass at the lowest setting on my electric, and am getting by with every other weekend. I always like how the robins come and give the yard the once over after It's done.
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4468
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat May 11, 2013 11:25 pm

I just got done mowing about two hours ago. MEZ, bring on your baler. There should be enough for one of them BIG bales. The garden is still too wet to work. We will have new potatoes for Thanksgiving dinner, if we are lucky.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sun May 12, 2013 12:13 am

Does everybody else clean their tools after each use? I clean the underside of my mower with a putty knife and wire brush until I can see metal and clean my trimmer, both top and bottom, with 409. It looks almost new, (almost).
At the end on the season I pop the cover off of the mower, lubricate the shaft and sharpen the blade.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun May 12, 2013 12:29 am

I blow out the housing on my mower with my leaf blower. I turn it over and send air through every orifice on the housing until all the chaff blows out. I clean and sharpen 2 blades and rotate them every 2 months. My last mower lasted 13 years, when a strut for one of the wheels broke from metal fatigue. It was too old to have replacement parts.
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun May 12, 2013 12:34 am

My sister bought an electric mower and gave it a good cleaning out after she used it. She used the garden hose and when they went to use the mower the next time, she said the lights in the house looked like they were burning a guy in the electric chair.
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sun May 12, 2013 1:30 pm

If she had taken off the housing and let it set for a few days it probably would have dried out. It's amazing how little technical knowledge the average consumer has, most of it obvious. I'm pretty sure that "Do not spray water on the motor" would have been included in the instructions. But who reads those-it takes the fun out it.
Every year I take off the housing of my microwave, backs of the TV's and receivers and give them a good shot of canned air. To me it's like servicing a vehicle-it extends the life of the product.
Admittedly these are not the things a consumer would do, but to me it's like changing the oil. My microwave has lasted over 20 years. It has a mechanical timer and heats stuff just fine.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by oldgoaly on Mon May 13, 2013 2:31 am

I finally got the garden tractor out and started cutting grass about 2 acres worth with lots of trees and buildings to make it much more interesting! beautiful day 62 degrees windy but sunny!
oldgoaly
oldgoaly

Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2012-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon May 13, 2013 2:35 am

Two acres!
Too much for me. Hope it's a riding mower.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4455
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Mon May 13, 2013 1:24 pm

Heck, that's nothing-we had to cut grass with a scythe.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon May 13, 2013 1:32 pm

My grandpa did. He would take a scythe stone and a old section of newspaper with him. He would keep the blade sharp to where he could cut the paper across.
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon May 13, 2013 2:20 pm

We have 5 acres of lawn at one house and 4 acres of lawn at the farm. The rest is in hay and we deal with it like this;

Anybody else mowing grass every day? 000_0006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon May 13, 2013 2:22 pm

And this is how we get rid of it;

Anybody else mowing grass every day? Eads118

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next