Windows XP COA's bad?

Go down

Windows XP COA's bad? Empty Windows XP COA's bad?

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sun May 05, 2013 4:06 pm

I made an attempt to install XP Pro on my PC last night and it rejected my COA that was on my tower. As far as i know that coa hasnt been used but maybe one time to install the original OS on the machine. The disc i tried to use was one for refurbished machines and i figured i shouldnt have any issues since the coa was for xp pro. I even tried the coa from my moms computer, which has the same version of windows on it. So how is my coa bad or why is it rejecting it? Any info or insight would be appreciated.. Thanks
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 647
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Windows XP COA's bad? Empty Re: Windows XP COA's bad?

Post by willy3486 on Sun May 05, 2013 4:35 pm

Welcome to the wonderful world of reinstalling windows. From what I have seen CDs relate to certain numbers. You tried a CD for a different machine while using your CD key. If you don't have a CD set for your computer then try the CD key that came with the CD you have. That usually works.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1380
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sun May 05, 2013 4:53 pm

That is the thing, i do not have that key. That disc states it is for refurbished computers, not a certain brand. I done the same thing with a copy of xp home i purchased from a computer store with the last computer i had. That disc was for a dell and i put it on an emachine. I had no issues.. I've also used one xp home key for like 3 or 4 different computers a few years ago with no problem.. I honestly do not see why you really need a key/coa for XP any longer, as it is from about 2001 when the first version was released. Why should microsoft really care about it any more?? As it is old and outdated, but yet certain versions are still a good OS.
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Sun May 05, 2013 6:43 pm

Thats just it, Its looking for a correct code. It doesn't matter its old technology if it doesn't see a code it will not run or install properly. The program is designed to need it.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun May 05, 2013 6:49 pm

Microsoft has two types of license for installing Windows. One license is for a PC that came with XP installed, and the other is so you can install on any computer. You can't use one license key for the other. After you get past this hurdle the next thing is to get it verified, it can also fail there as well. It sounds like you are using in install version on a PC which originally had a factory license, it will not work. What version XP do you have and what service pack? I may be able to help.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun May 05, 2013 6:50 pm

Why should microsoft really care about it any more??
Because they want you to purchase new.

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Sun May 05, 2013 6:55 pm

There is a third type. I think its called MOLP or something like that. It is a install CD used for large businesses that don't have to install a CD key. We used them at one job I had. It was nice, no CD key needed. Its almost impossible to get, as they can be traced to the business. Businesses don't want it to get out and they get in trouble. If you could find that it would work.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sun May 05, 2013 7:12 pm

I just installed xp home, SP 3 and used the automated system to activate windows. It was a pain, but i was able to activate it. I would like to have xp pro but its not that big of a deal. As soon as i can afford it, i am going to upgrade to 7. I will just have to purchase a coa for it or an upgrade disc with a coa. I know they want people to purchase new, but i will not spend 200.00 plus on a brand new OS. I wouldnt of had to re-install windows if Segate did not make crappy HDD's that get a ton of errors on them and dont allow windows to work properly. I know they are only made to last so long, but i prefer WD drives bc they usually last much longer then the average HDD.
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun May 05, 2013 8:45 pm

I got a disk for refurbished computers on ebay to do mine and it came with a COA in the package.
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4453
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sun May 05, 2013 9:12 pm

What'd that run you a 100.00 or so? as i've seen listings for every version of windows including 3.1/3.11 as high 2-300.00. Which is why i will not buy any OS off there. I can go to a computer store that sells repaired and repairs computers and get a copy of about any OS disc for 10.00 but no COA's. You can extract the COA from that disc, but if it's been used too many times it will not do any good. I did that with the version i just installed in my computer.
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by mr_ed01 on Sun May 05, 2013 9:23 pm

Your install disk is not an OEM type and will reject your COA. You can make your install disk into a OEM disk using the directions here: http://www.ehow.com/how_6614306_make-windows-xp-cd-oem.html

mr_ed01

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2012-03-16

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun May 05, 2013 10:38 pm

I paid less than $50 as I remember. It installed easily, Microsoft accepted it, and I have had no problems with it.
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4453
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down