Record and store TV from cable

Go down

Record and store TV from cable Empty Record and store TV from cable

Post by terrydec on Sat May 04, 2013 6:36 pm

When I switched back to basic cable I couldn't keep My DVR recorder. I did get to keep TCM. However most of the really great shows are on between midnight and noon. Like 42nd street, ( my favorite Busby Berkley musical), is on at 2AM. I tried looking through eBay and Amazon and quickly got lost in RUKU, HULU YouHoo BOOHO, whatever.
All I want is something that allows me to either record with a device or on my computer and watch it later.
Oh right, for under $200.
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
terrydec
terrydec

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Record and store TV from cable Empty Re: Record and store TV from cable

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat May 04, 2013 7:16 pm

I still have a usable VCR and several blank tapes. Works just fine for me. Those modern doodads are too complicated and work no better. The wife will record "Vegas" or "Bluebloods" for me on nights that I work. Nothing else is worth messing with.
The VCR/DVD combo that I like best is a Samsung that I gave $1 for at an auction. I buy all the unused tapes I can find, usually at an auction, for peanuts. I have an RCA and a Magnavox as well. How much cheaper do you want than that?

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4925
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sat May 04, 2013 7:27 pm

I use a magnavox dvd/vcr deck with rewritable discs to do my time delay recording. The one I got was a refurbished unit offered on Ebay and I paid $98 for it 3 years ago. I record with it at least 3 nights a week as I work nights. It is my second magnavox deck. the other one I bought 5 years ago and was refurbished also and have handed down to my sister and is still going strong. The rewritable discs last and last and the permanent discs are relatively inexpensive at Big Lots.
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4468
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sat May 04, 2013 11:28 pm

75X11 wrote:I use a magnavox dvd/vcr deck with rewritable discs to do my time delay recording. The one I got was a refurbished unit offered on Ebay and I paid $98 for it 3 years ago. I record with it at least 3 nights a week as I work nights. It is my second magnavox deck. the other one I bought 5 years ago and was refurbished also and have handed down to my sister and is still going strong. The rewritable discs last and last and the permanent discs are relatively inexpensive at Big Lots.
I was hoping for something like the DVR I had with my HD cable service instead of a device that would have to keep using DVD's or tapes. I already have a nice DVD recorder but no way to convert the analogue to digital or set to record at a certain time.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun May 05, 2013 12:18 am

Maybe something like TIVO?
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sun May 05, 2013 12:20 am

What is a TIVO?
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun May 05, 2013 1:20 am

TiVo is a digital video recorder (DVR) developed and marketed by TiVo, Inc. and introduced in 1999.

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun May 05, 2013 1:23 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TiVo
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sun May 05, 2013 1:14 pm

Yeah, I'm looking at some on eBay from $79 for used at auction to $339. This does seem to answer my question though and I appreciate it.

Right now I'm VERY low on funds, (like who isn't).
I just had to replace my old printer, an Epson R280. These are VERY expensive ranging from $79 for one on eBay, (no ink and doesn't feed paper, of course), to $308 on Amazon. Since I sell my photos I need a pro printer. I spent over 2 hours looking at Canon, Lexmark, Brother and Epson printers. I needed more than 2 cartridges and a certain amount of dpi, (dots per inch).
BTW- If you ever need a review on a product go to Amazon. That's what I did, and wound up back where I started-the R280. I found one on eBay- new in the box at a "Buy it Now" price of $179 + shipping, around $200 all together. I bought it.
That is all of the money I could scrape together including putting off the utility bills and selling a couple of mic cables on eBay.
Ya know, actually Ramen is really good. You can get two meals out of a package for a quarter and I need to lose some weight anyway. Now if I can just get the dog and cat to eat it, (doubtful-they eat better than I do)

terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun May 05, 2013 1:30 pm

Those Amazon reviews are great. I've made a modest contribution on a few items I've bought. I even bought my lawnmower on Amazon. That free delivery is a nice feature. Just got back from another place that makes the money go further, Big Lots.
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sun May 05, 2013 3:13 pm

I buy a lot of stuff on Amazon, especially books, movies and household stuff. If I watch a movie from Netflix several times, or twice in a row, I might as well buy it. My recent purchases were the movie ""RED", (a REALLY GREAT movie), and the book "The Stand". A few months ago I bought the complete Hunger Games box set. I got it in hardback with the box. It was used but in perfect condition for $12.

I ALWAYS use the site to check reviews on any other item. It is a good source of information.

BTW- they're asking for my review on the "Stand". I hate the reviewers who write out the entire book or movie.
Mine says-
"Great book. I liked it a lot, especially since it was the 'uncut' version. I'd recommend it."

Period
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun May 05, 2013 5:07 pm

I've bought the first three seasons of the TV series "The Sweeney". One other thing I like on Amazon are the audio samples on many music selections.
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by walterbeers on Tue May 21, 2013 5:00 pm

If you have a computer with a big enough hard drive, you can get a TV tuner card to plug into a pci slot, then install the software, put a splitter on the cable line, and run one to the TV for normal viewing, and the other to the card in the computer. Most TV cards come with disc and installs a program to record TV programs right to your hard drive. You can also hook up the computer to the TV to watch it on your big screen, so you don't have to watch it on the computer monitor. ps, also most programs will allow you to set up the time to record, stop, channel, etc. Most TV tuners for the computer are way under $200. Get one that also accepts digital broadcast as you may want to record off the air as well.

walterbeers

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2013-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Tue May 21, 2013 6:13 pm

I've checked out using my hard drive. It is 125 Gig with 85% available. I could get a terra gig for around $150 and a PCI card for around $50.
Or I can get a new TIVO on eBay for about $80. I think I'll go with the TIVO.

Thanks for the suggestion though.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by simplex1040 on Tue May 21, 2013 6:37 pm

at one time you had to have a subscription to use tivo is that no the case anymore?
simplex1040
simplex1040

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2008-03-14

Back to top Go down

Post by simplex1040 on Tue May 21, 2013 6:39 pm

I was right Tivo is subscription only:

FroM Tivo website
A TiVo DVR requires a subscription to our hosted services (what we call the TiVo Service) and a broadband Internet connection in order to properly function.

The TiVo service provides functionality to a TiVo DVR, including providing program guide information and the following features:

Season Pass® recording: automatically finds and records every episode of a series all season long
WishList® search: finds and records programs that feature your favorite actor, director, team or even topic
Smart Recording: automatically detects program line-up changes for your cable/satellite provider and adjusts recording times so you don't have to worry about the details
TiVo Suggestions: TiVo can be programmed to suggest and auto-record programs that may match your interests
Parental Controls: lock channels or set ratings limits based on content.
Each of these features and any additional features or functionality of the TiVo DVR are all part of the "TiVo service."
simplex1040
simplex1040

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Tue May 21, 2013 10:20 pm

simplex1040 wrote:at one time you had to have a subscription to use tivo is that no the case anymore?

I don't know, but you can buy them on eBay, as well as external DVR's.
I think that at one time there was some hassle with DirecTV about skipping commercials or something.

(Dakota Fanning says she has one in "War of the Worlds".)
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by simplex1040 on Tue May 21, 2013 11:41 pm

Tivo still requires a subscription for them to work, even if you buy it of ebay.
simplex1040
simplex1040

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Wed May 22, 2013 12:23 am

I know this is going to be a strange way to end this thread but-

After some thought I realize that going through all of this hassle to record a couple of shows on TCM at midnight just ain't worth it.

I've got Netflix. If I feel the need for more entertainment I'll teach my cat some tricks. My dog let me know right at the beginning that tricks weren't his thing. Oh right, we do have one trick, He'll grab a Cheeto out of my mouth. Come to think of it, grabbing food for him isn't a trick, it's an obsession.
Thanks for all the thoughts and suggestions.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down