Turn, turn, turn...

Go down

Turn, turn, turn... Empty Turn, turn, turn...

Post by DancingBear on Thu May 02, 2013 1:07 pm

I have been absent lately, mostly due to problems with my eyes. I still don't have the glasses the VA said would ease the symptoms but expect them any day. Other than that I am doing better than before. It appears the steroid treatment was successful in re-starting my immune system (and chased some gout symptoms up into the north forty) There is a good chance this will revert but nobody knows how long t will last. They can do one more steroid treatment.

Anyways, back at the ranch. I have decided to call it quits once the two radios on my bench are complete. I have been doing this for a little over a year (after a break of forty) so haven’t been here long. I probably won’t be leaving the site, as I do repair work other than old radios (and enjoy the place).

My life’s work was electronics but followed the typical solid-state path; not tube stuff. I'm getting back into it but the nature of the work today means there are gaps in the action while awaiting parts, etc. I don't always pick up where I left off. I'm spending a lot of time discovering I did things that had already done. The med’s I use mess with my concentration a lot.

My wife has kept me going for ten years while they attempted to get me walking again. She’s been “housebound” since 2003. I only have so much energy and have decided to give what I do have to my wife, not a Zenith Super-Het. We are spiffing up the old RV and plan on seeing some things together. We can’t make long or lengthy trips but Washington and Oregon have many places to visit. My disabled-Vet card gets me ten free days in any State campground per month and Washington honors Oregon card-holders.

I had a difficult time telling the chap who got me restarted but my priorities have changed. I will still keep my test-bench and will try to keep building wooden vehicles but the arcs and sparks bit will be relegated to a rumble-seat position probably in the fall.

TonyM.
DancingBear
DancingBear

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2013-01-23

Back to top Go down

Turn, turn, turn... Empty Re: Turn, turn, turn...

Post by terrydec on Thu May 02, 2013 3:07 pm

I'm sorry about your problems but envious of your decision to travel.

Find something to occupy your time on the road. I suggest photography. I know that you have vision problems, so do I; but taking unusual photos of places you visit, (not "Honey could you stand over there"), will be a great reward. And if the Super-het isn't a shortwave set then buy one-a good one. Sitting outside the camper on a cool night with the starts ablaze and listening to Radio Netherland would be very cool. Good luck, have fun and find WI-FI to stay in touch.
terrydec
terrydec

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Thu May 02, 2013 3:58 pm

I understand quite well. I got out of a few other hobbies and took on radios as I needed something less stressful. As far as RVing that sounds great. I have two I rebuilt, one a scotty and the other a Aristocrat. Both are over 40 years old. I have both and haven't used either in a couple of years, I need to.

I tracked down a fellow that did a lot with the Aristocrat company and he was in your area. You ever hear of Vons? He had a large RV place in Washington or Oregon from what I know. He was lifelong friends with the fellow who started the Aristocrat company and they died within 24 hours of each other due to old age. Anyway get out and enjoy life. These old radios can wear you down if you let them.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1392
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu May 02, 2013 5:44 pm

It looks like you are choosing your time wisely. I sincerely hope you have plenty of good days to enjoy doing what you please. Take some pics to share with us if you would.
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4468
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu May 02, 2013 6:21 pm

We are spiffing up the old RV and plan on seeing some things together. We can’t make long or lengthy trips but Washington and Oregon have many places to visit. My disabled-Vet card gets me ten free days in any State campground per month and Washington honors Oregon card-holders.

Sounds like a good plan. Also, look at the national park system. At age 62 you can get a lifetime pass for a one time fee of only ten dollars. I got mine last year and now enter as many national parks as I want for free, any time I want, along with anyone in my vehicle.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ron Pond on Fri May 03, 2013 9:30 am

Tony,

Good luck with whatever you decide to do and make the most of it.

Ron.
Ron Pond
Ron Pond

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by DancingBear on Fri May 03, 2013 3:51 pm

Thanks.

Willie-I'm not familiar with the names but we have an area to the south of us, this side of Eugene that houses several RV manufacturing companies. Monaco makes their custom top-end tour buses right off I-5. I'm not sure of the other names but it could be what you mention. I try to avoid the area because the small town there uses confiscated vehicles to patrol the highway, even I-5. They have an old 54 Dodge with a hemi in it that hauls ass. People pass it thinking it's an old beater truck and then get pulled over by a pickup filled with gardening tools.

I definitely will be trying learn something about my camera(s). I've never really understood what the exposure time and other stuff does. Time to learn.

I have been trying to get myself pumped up to write again. Before I went through my last bout of painkillers I had some success writing magazine articles, mostly humorous tidbits about 1500 words or less. The painkillers needed during recovery took my objectivity so I stopped. Now, about a year and half down the road I find I don't have much of a sense of humor anymore but I'd like to write. I wrote a few things about Vietnam and one about an uncle who parachuted into Normandy but I am out of stories (at least the printable ones-there was that weekend in Bangkok...)).

At this point I figure the best thing to do is keep a decent travel log going using my camera for accent. We've got a 30 foot Winnebago that we have customized ourselves. We have Internet access so may do it online.

Both of our girls married total jerks so we have been trying to spend it all before we go. We bought a small Nissan P/U to tow behind us and I just finished putting a real nice Pioneer based-stereo system in it. We have two TV's and I actually carry around a small table saw, router, sanders and a few other tools so I can do some woodwork.

We don't like going on extensive trips. A two week jaunt is fine for us so we will be in and out. Be it ever so humble, there's no place like home.

I have visited almost every sight-seeing "thing" in the west...except Yellowstone. Each time we go near that area we get sucked into going up into Glacier Park and Canada. "Going to the Sun" highway is still my most favored drive but I'd like to see Old Faithful at least once.

We have such nice weather here. I Hope we don't have a hot summer.

thanks-
TonyM
DancingBear
DancingBear

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri May 03, 2013 9:30 pm

A travel log worked for John Steinbeck in writing Travels With Charley.
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Johnson on Fri May 03, 2013 10:42 pm

My wife and I are planning on upgrading our RV in the next year to something we can spend some time in instead of just weekend camping. Maybe a trip out west. Have fun with your jaunts.
Steve Johnson
Steve Johnson

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by DancingBear on Sat May 04, 2013 12:44 pm

I was raised in Monterey County, better known as "Steinbeck Country". My parents immigrated west during the Dust Bowl and we fit the "Okie" mold to a T. Other than Steinbeck, J. Kerouac had some pretty fair "road writings".

My wife is from the Bronx and we go back east on occasion to visit. We have gone as far up as Mystic Connecticut but would love to go up into Boston area and then into Maine and Vermont. It probably won't happen but we'd love to see New England in the Fall.

Got my new glasses in yesterday. Rough first hour but once I got used to them they were nice. The lady with the two labs up at the local park thought I was a bit strange when I asked her where the other dog was. Last time I looked there were two.

TonyM
DancingBear
DancingBear

Back to top Go down

Post by fixinmyphono on Sat May 04, 2013 4:31 pm

Ah before I got my cataract surgery on both eyes it was so bad when I came to a red light I would see 5 red lights and everything had a yellow tint to it.All fixed now sure is nice again,just need dollar store magnifiers to see close up but thats fine Smile
fixinmyphono
fixinmyphono

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2011-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sat May 04, 2013 6:58 pm

Glad your glasses are working. Eyesight is a bad thing to have to put on hold.
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down