Atlas Shrugged the Movie?

Go down

Atlas Shrugged the Movie? Empty Atlas Shrugged the Movie?

Post by terrydec on Wed May 01, 2013 10:22 pm

I just finished watching Atlas Shrugged the movie part II. The way they're going I can't wait for Atlas Shrugged the movie Part 34.
One thing I can say about this movie is that it sure beat the hell out of part 1, barely.
First of all let me establish one thing- there are three books in my library that have traveled with me for years. I've probably read each one 10 times.
The first is, for me, written by the greatest writer that ever lived. Victor Hugo's Les Miserables. The second and third are, in order, The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged.
There is not one single paragraph in any of these books that can't stand on it's own as some the finest prose ever written.

Both writers had a passion. Victor Hugo's passion was Paris. He loved Paris. It is said that his dissertation on the battle at Waterloo and description of the barricades are so historically correct that they are taught as facts in the classroom.

Ayn Rand had a passion too- Communism. "From each according to their ability-To each according to their need." She must have repeated that over 50 times in her writing. She REALLY hated communism. That's why she came to this country. Combating that was her lifes work.

Unfortunately they both share one thing in common- Their books have been made into incredibly bad movies. Oh I guess the film with Fredrick March and Charles Laughton is acceptable, but the 1952 version with Micheal Rennie really sucks.

And the same can be said about the Fountainhead. An incredibly moving and ennobling book; and unbelievably horrible movie. It would seem that Ms Rand can be quite xxxxxx too. She walked off the set until Director King Vidor would film the courtroom scene Exactly as written. Gary Cooper once said it was the worst scene he ever played. Raymond Massey and Patricia Neal played lifeless and wooden, not to mention two dimensional characters. I think that maybe if they'd barred Rand from the set they might have made a decent movie. Max Steiner's music was outstanding though, even when it overpowered the scene.

But to me Ayn Rand's biggest problem was that she took herself WAY too seriously. Good prose does not always manifest it's self in good philosophy. The idea of the characters who are the ultimate nonconformists is good in theory, but bad philosophy. Heck, if you've followed my posts you know that I'm a bit of a nonconformist. After all, my motto is "There is nothing worse than being ordinary."

However, the only way her philosophy of Objectivism works is if two people are alone in a room and one of them isn't there.

P.S do check out the 10th anniversary "Dream Cast" Concert. Unlike Richard Crowe and Hugh Jackman these singers actually hit the right note-in the same key too.
terrydec
terrydec

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Atlas Shrugged the Movie? Empty Re: Atlas Shrugged the Movie?

Post by terrydec on Wed May 01, 2013 10:26 pm

Humm- I forgot that the forum edits some words it finds objectionable. Let's just say that on the set Ms. Rand was a "Witch" with a "B".
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed May 01, 2013 11:35 pm

I have part one and part two on DVD. They did not get the same actors for part two which destroyed the continuity!

The movie is never as good as the book.

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Thu May 02, 2013 1:00 am

Yeah, although I got them on Netflix so couldn't compare I noticed that. The casting in this version was a lot better. On the first disk I thought the producer's comments were stupid.

The reason this project hasn't been done on the screen is that it is just too much stuff to try and stuff into a movie. And I'm sorry but the acting, especially d'Anoconia, were too stilted and the philosophy sort of hung in the air instead of being developed.

And if the next movie takes place in the valley I hope they don't do it like in the book and go over and over and over the same ground. And I'm waiting for the 6 hour version of John Galt's speech. After the first 40 or 50 pages it sort of runs together.

It is a great book- no, let me change that-it is great writing but gets VERY long winded when she gets on her "People's Republics are bad" soapbox. However, the idea of transporting every great mind to a "Shanghai" to wait until society crashes in on itself is unique and thought provoking.
And I'm sorry, but I always thought the whole "Who is John Galt?" thing gets kind of hokey really fast.

I'm just finishing "The Stand" by Stephen King. They did make a halfway decent TV movie about it. I'm not a big fan of Gary Sienese, but I like Molly Ringwald. I guess I'll have to put that in my Queue. I must be on a jag watching movies of books I'm reading. Next: The Last Unicorn" by Peter S. Beagle.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down