What did you watch on your old TV when it was new?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What did you watch on your old TV when it was new? Empty What did you watch on your old TV when it was new?

Post by Guest on Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:25 pm

Our first TV was a 1953 Admiral and this is what I watched in the mornings as a pre-schooler;

http://archive.org/details/dingdongschool

Last edited by MEZLAW on Wed May 01, 2013 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

Back to top Go down

What did you watch on your old TV when it was new? Empty Re: What did you watch on your old TV when it was new?

Post by 75X11 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:01 pm

We had a set when I was very young, but when I was 6 (1962) we got a new Zenith color TV. I'll Never forget turning on The Jetsons and actually seeing it in color! That and Bonanza and whatever specials in color was nearly it for the next couple or three years. When my sister would have her friends overnight, she would turn the brightness and volume down on it, (or not) and when I came in she would ask me if it was on or not. I could always tell because I could hear the transformer. They could never figure it out. I still can still hear one at 56.
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4453
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

What did you watch on your old TV when it was new? Empty Re: What did you watch on your old TV when it was new?

Post by ea327 on Wed May 01, 2013 12:53 pm

MEZLAW wrote:Our first TV was a 1953 Admiral and this is what a watched in the mornings as a pre-schooler;

http://archive.org/details/dingdongschool

Ahh, Miss Frances. Makes me smile!

Eric
ea327
ea327

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2012-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post by simplex1040 on Wed May 01, 2013 3:35 pm

re runs
simplex1040
simplex1040

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2008-03-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Delk on Wed May 01, 2013 4:56 pm

Lone Ranger, Zorro, Hopalong Cassidy, Perry Mason, Little Rascals....the list is endless...........those were good TV days. remember when commercial know what the product they were selling did...Speedy (Alka Seltser), etc....
Ben Delk
Ben Delk

Number of posts : 436
Registration date : 2012-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Wed May 01, 2013 5:12 pm

Ah, those were the days. Mickey Mouse Club, Captain Kangaroo, Fireball XL5, 3 Stooges, Our Miss Brooks, Dobie Gillis, Phil Silvers Show, Sing along with Mitch Miller, and, the gang, Walt Disney presents, Little rascals, Ozzie, and, Harriet, etc.....
How about The Faygo Kid?
The Faygo Kid. Which way did he go. Which way did he go? He went for Faygo old fashionned root beer!
How about the BW version of The Huckleberry Hound Show.
... So, take a ringside seat so everyone can meet that howdy, hound dog clown! Don't let yoursef forget. Turn up your tv set for Huckleberry Hound! That Oh, so merry, chuckleberry, Huckleberry Hound!...................... Huckleberry Hound!!!!!!!

Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4395
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by sprman on Wed May 01, 2013 6:37 pm

Ahh Gail Storm show Mickey Mouse,lol and Howdie Doodie, lmao and Perry Mason ,Superman .Sprman

sprman

Number of posts : 323
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Johnson on Wed May 01, 2013 8:48 pm

Every Saturday morning The Lone Ranger and Hopalong Cassidy.
Then Sky King (and his niece Penny) and The Mickey Mouse Club after school.
Steve Johnson
Steve Johnson

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Wed May 01, 2013 9:03 pm

the first thing we saw on our own TV was on Christmas morning. We invited all our relatives over to our three room apt. There were over 20 kids and Dad decided He and my uncles wanted to see WRESTLING. My mom was as mad as a wet Hen. All my aunts backed Her up and after a half hour us kids were watching cartoons.
Resistance is Futile
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Post by DancingBear on Thu May 02, 2013 12:00 pm

Clint Walker in "Cheyenne" sticks out for me. I can remember my Mom ironing clothes while watching "Queen for a Day" and "Art Linkletter". Sunday nights was "Lawrence Welk", "Disney" and "Ed Sullivan". I still carry a torch for the girl dancer. Barbara something.

I barely remember Jack Paar but a few years later I didn't go to sleep until Johnny signed off and the KSBW test pattern arrived.
TonyM

I was the youngest of seven and held the title of "Family Remote Control".
DancingBear
DancingBear

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2013-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu May 02, 2013 12:52 pm

Dang. Your mom watched the same stuff as mine. My sisters liked Ed Sulivan. At nine, Sunday night, we watched Bonanza.
Bill Cahill
No, wait. At nine, it was Walt Disney presents. At ten, it was Bonanza.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu May 02, 2013 12:54 pm

Anybody remember the timeless great "Bye, bye, Birdie"?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu May 02, 2013 12:58 pm

"Everything is rosy. Now I've got my Rosy. With a girl like Rosy, How can I be blue?"
"Bye, bye, Birdie! Tah, tah, oh sweetie pie! I'll try Birdie!Time for me to Fly!Time for me to fly! Time to say goodbye!......... Bye, Now!"
.....................................................................................................

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu May 02, 2013 5:56 pm

Bill, you reminded me of the other color program on Sunday nights when it joined NBC's lineup. It was something to finally see it like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiwfFNxH-rQ

Remember the Chevrolet commercials on Bonanza where they would film the cars atop buttes above the desert floor?
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu May 02, 2013 6:15 pm

DancingBear wrote:
I was the youngest of seven and held the title of "Family Remote Control".

I was also one of those! My Grandmother would say; "Larry, change the channel, put on Joey Bishop for me." I would go to the TV and get on her shows. I always said my grandmother had the first remote control back in the mid 1950's.

lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by ea327 on Fri May 03, 2013 10:21 am

Look. Up in the sky. It's a bird. It's a plane...
Never missed "The Adventures of Superman". Had a costume and everything!

Eric
ea327
ea327

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2012-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri May 03, 2013 11:11 am

My job was to warm up the tv set on Saturday nights. I would fire up the old RCA at exactly 5:30. Bill Crawford would give the weather on Channel 6 at 6 pm. But the big deal was Lawrence Welk. That tv ABSOLUTELY MUST be operating properly by the time Lawrence Welk came on. No running, no fuzziness, the antenna had to be turned correctly. No margin for error whatsoever. The world stopped turning at 7 pm on Saturday. After LW, there was "Have Gun Will Travel", followed by "Gunsmoke." We were so fancy that we had our Vise-Grips welded to the pipe the antenna was on so that we did not have to hunt for them! Grandpa could open the window, reach out, and turn the antenna. All from the comfort of his chair! In 1956, they got an RCA color tv. It got on fire. Twice. RCA replaced it twice. It was way too complicated for me to run, and my grandparents considered that my job, so we watched the old RCA monochrome most of the time. The only shows in color in 1956 were "The Wonderful World of Disney" and "Bonanza."

On Saturdays with inclimate weather, I got to watch cartoons. But I had to be done by noon or so in order to "save the tubes" for Saturday evening. God help us should something happen then.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri May 03, 2013 12:22 pm

Dang! I almost Left Out Red Skelton!
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri May 03, 2013 1:12 pm

Speaking of something flying. On WXYZ radio in the 60's, there used to be a half hour comedy on that started with a sick bird cackle.
It went like this.
"Look! Up in the sky! It's a bird. No, it's a plane! and, a third voice would say,
No, it's just me! Eh, eh, eh, eh, eh, eh! Super Chicken!"
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by scottb on Fri May 03, 2013 3:42 pm

About the only TV I can remember was Creature Feature that played B monster movies. We had a 12 inch magnavox in our bedroom and remember Dad saying we could stay up as late as we wanted to watch as long as we stayed in bed. He would come into our room and turn the TV off about 15 minutes later.
In 1970 we got a 25 inch Zenith color TV and cable. I then watched most kid shows, but do remember Clancy and Willy from WCCO out of the cities.
I have to add, the Zenith and the Magnavox still work fine and have never had the backs off from them!!

scottb

Number of posts : 115

Back to top Go down

Post by DancingBear on Fri May 03, 2013 5:10 pm

I should have a degree in "tinfoil arranging" on our rabbit ears. We got two stations...KSBW out of Salinas and another from San Jose but it was difficult to pick up due to the small mountains above Santa Cruz. Had to "foil" a lot.

When we came home from school there were a few afternoon shows. I must have watched every Rocky and Bullwinkle episode made twenty times. A few years later it was a music show with Paul Revere and The Raiders. I forget the name of the show but it lasted awhile.

My sister carried a torch for Rowdy Yates (Clint Eastwood on Rawhide) while I lusted after Shelly Fabares (Donna Reed show). An extremely popular show around the late-fifties was Dobie Gillis with Bob Denver as Maynard G. Krebs. My sister wouldn't miss it. I had no idea what a beatnik was but used the term every chance I got. I still use some of the terms coined on that show. "Far Out" ... "You Rang?"

I can remember the Ernie Kovacs shows even though I was pretty young. It was all physical and visual so it was easier for young minds to understand...not all but enough.
DancingBear
DancingBear

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2013-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri May 03, 2013 5:20 pm

I don't remember Ernie Kavacs, but, Donna Reed is on M-F at seven thirty am on Me tv.
I also remember Dobie Gillis.
Sure loved the later Gillagan's Isle with Bob Denver. Skipper!!
I also miss The Munsters, The Adams Family, Sockin' it to 'em with Rowan and, Martin's laugh in, and, Oh, heck. Now I forgot her name. She had a great comedy show. Tim Conway got to be a regular on her show. I loved her show. She ended it with a song.
"I'm so glad we had this time together. Just to laugh, and, sing a song.
Seems we just get started, and, before you know it, come's the time we have to say so long. Good night everybody."
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by scottb on Fri May 03, 2013 5:41 pm

That would be Carol Burnett. Those clips with Harvy Korman and tim Conway were so funny. I love to see the bloopers of them on you tube

scottb

Number of posts : 115

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri May 03, 2013 6:24 pm

Then there was Jimmy Durante. And Groucho Marx. "You Bet Your Life." And Judy Garland smoking a cigarette in one of those long holders all the female stars used. And Edward R. Murrow "You Are There." And who can forget Ed Sullivan.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri May 03, 2013 7:01 pm

Hmmmm. I forgot Ed.
Alright, How about Mr. ED? The talking horse?
Or, My mother the car?
Or, It's about time?
Or, the Imagene Coca comedy hour?
Or, the Honeymooners?
"Sheesh, what a grouch" was recorded on columbia 78 by the originator who played Ed Norton.
I've got some of his records.
I also have the theme from the Honeymooners.
Anyone remember Salley Fields in The flying nun?
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum