Anyone good with cats?

Go down

Anyone good with cats? Empty Anyone good with cats?

Post by willy3486 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:05 am

Ok, here is a off the wall question. I need some advice on a cat. Here is what is happening. Due to a road project my Mother in law has left her house. She now has a house from one side of me to the other. She has a new house about 500 feet away from her old one. She has 3 cats, one who I think is staying around the new house. One who is staying at a building at her old place due to having kittens there. I think this cat stays at her knew house a lot as well. So when the kittens are older I expect to see her at the new house. If I get a chance I will get the kittens and take them to the new house. The she has a third cat. We can take him to her new house but when he gets done he goes back to the old house. I can take him to the new one and he will beat me to her old house.

When the mover got her stuff they had to take part of a doorway down to get some of her items out. So its not as easy as just locking him out. And it is a older house and has places he can sneak into. The only time he will go up to her new house is to eat. Then its back to the old house. This house will not be moved but will be torn down. The only person who is there anytime is myself and I don't feed him so as not to encourage him to stay. So I am trying to figure a way to run this cat off from this old area and go to her new area. The house will probably be stripped of doors and any other reusable items so when it is torn down it will be even more open. I am afraid this cat will hide deeper in it the day it is torn down and get killed. Putting him in a pen or cage until it is gone is not a good answer as it mat take weeks to take all the old buildings down. Is there any suggestions other than a dog of what to put in the house to keep him out? Anything like spices or something like mothballs gets them to stay away?

willy3486

Number of posts : 1380
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Anyone good with cats? Empty Re: Anyone good with cats?

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:42 am

First, in the new house, have as manny of the items he is used to as possible. You would want to keep him in the new house at all times, Get a cat litter box, and, toys he had at old one.
He will get used to it.
I'd definately keep cats indoors until work is compltely done.
Maybe longer..........
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4392
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:38 am

I have suggested that on keeping the cat inside but she hasn't done that. I don't think she wants it in her new house. He is a outside cat. She is 82 and she is as stubborn as the cat. I was able to get her to put him on her screened in porch but she won't lock him it. He knows how to push the door open to get out. He has a good supply of mice there and is excentric, as he is not friendly with the other cats. The cats are younger and he never has anything much to do with them. I was thinking if there was something I could put in there that cats didn't like the smell of it might work to keep him out.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:26 pm

Sprinkle some moth crystals where you don't want cats.

Cats will go where there are familiar smells, their food dish is, and where their kitty litter is. They will not put themselves to any extra trouble. Nor will they stay where there is noise and strangers, like when the old house is demo'd. When it comes to taking care of cats, trust me, the cats are smarter than we humans will ever be in that regard. They will get used to their new digs in due course. Your trying to "coach" them will only end in frustration, both for you and for the cats.

It appears that you will have a greater challenge "training" an 82 year old, stubborn woman than you will with the cats. My two cents. I have cats and an 88 year old mother, so I certainly empathize with you.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:24 am

Is moth crystals the same as moth balls that are crushed? It has been hard for me to get anything done for the last three years dealing with this. Every free moment I have bee either cleaning moving or doing something to get her moved. I am tired of it and fed up with not being able to do anything else. I told my wife when the last piece has been moved that was it for a while. I have let our house go by helping her. My shop needs work as well. I will probably be spending the rest of the time until the cold weather starts getting caught up around my house on repairs. With the exception of one of my wifes aunts, one of her cousins,her cousins husband no one has helped her.

My wifes brother is a worthless scumbag. I have no use for him anymore. Not meaning to get religious but anytime she calls he he is either busy with church ,going to church or has to do something at church. He uses that as a excuse. He will not lift a finger to help. He is retired, no kids at home and has 3 retirement checks coming in. He has it made and will not help her a bit. One time he actually stopped by she asked him to go pick her up some gas from a store a mile down the road. He refused and left, said he didn't have time. He had spent the day at his mother inlaws doing for her. My wife has heart problems, I have high BP, we are helping our daughter go to college, we both work and we are the ones doing everything for her.

Anyway thanks for the info. The cat is stubborn. He came up to me wanting food at the old house. I picked him up and took him close to her new house. I put him down and he headed to the old house. If the idiot cat wants to live there I think I won't worry too much about it. If something happens it will be one less mouth to have to feed and deal with.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:34 am

Moth crystals are crushed moth balls. I am not sure what their intended purpose is, but they will deter cats. Oil of peppermint works, too. Cats don't like the smell of spearmint, either. My wife used moth crystals in her flower beds, and our cat goes next door (in the neighbor's flower beds!) to do her business. Oil of peppermint works better inside, because the inside critters are not harmed if they get into it.

I know what you mean by your reference to "religious" relatives. My sister's ninth husband is a washed-up, has-been preacher. He never has had a real church as far as I have been able to determine. He has made his living conning old people out of money in the name of "religion." I am not supposed to call him by his first name. I have to call him "Brother so- and-so." Phooey on that. My mother lives with my sister. But guess who has to load his 40 year old Ariens tiller into his truck, and drive 120 miles ONE WAy, to till mom's garden. And there is an almost new tiller sitting in their shed that "doesn't run right now." Who do you think does mom's checkbook and takes care of all her affairs? AND, on top of that, my mom and my sister neither one will speak to my wife. But yet these people go to church three times a week. I have to cut, split and haul them firewood when I can scarcely back out of their driveway without hitting a dead tree! And the good "Brother" has a sticky fingered daughter that requires that I lock my garage and computer room, else she will haul the place off.

You are doing the right thing, Willie. Sometimes the right thing takes more time than we would like. But when that person is gone, you will look back on the situation knowing you did what you could. Your BIL will regret his actions the rest of his life, whether you know that or not.

Don't worry about the "idiot cat." That cat will get his bearings soon enough. Just feed him where you want him to be. He will take the hint.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:37 pm

Thanks wildcat. I know what I am doing is right,its sometimes nice to get encouragement. I hope I didn't offend anyone on religion as I really didn't want ot pull it into it. I go to church myself. I was trying to make a point that sometimes people act and claim to be perfect when they are nothing of the sort.

As far as my wifes brother after this I have no use for him and I hope I don't have to deal with the guy anymore. He is arrogant, self centered, bigoted and other things I won't say in mixed company so to speak. As far as him regretting anything he never will. To him he is perfect in his own mind. He pulled this same stuff when my wifes dad was alive. He wouldn't do anything and it was all on us. Her dad died and her brother did the "good son" routine . Then back to his usual self.

Anyway I hope to be done with the move by the middle of MAy or at least the end of it. Then I can do some of my own chores.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:41 pm

Those who are "perfect in their own mind" are really trying to convince themselves, since they have not been able to convince anyone else. People like that are the least self-assured. Old "Brother Ron" plays the perfect son, while I am the dog in the manger most of the time. He gets to take mom out to dinner (on her dime, naturally) and I get to inform her that her health insurance has gone up another $40 a month. Hang in there Willie. You are not alone, you can be sure of that. There are lots of people who try to do the right thing, while someone else gets the credit.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down