Clothlines

Go down

Clothlines Empty Clothlines

Post by scottb on Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:22 pm

First time this year, I finally have all the bedding hanging on the clothline outside!!!!
Nothing better for sleeping than fresh outside air dried bedding!!! Oh and even though it is 74 degrees here, I wore my snow boots to the line. lol!

scottb

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Clothlines Empty Re: Clothlines

Post by Guest on Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:02 pm

I haven't used my clothes line in years, we have too many birds!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by scottb on Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:06 pm

That is funny, I have which I think is the same Robin using a nest on top of my retractable clothline. She is so used to me, that I can get up to the nest and tell her no crapping on my sheets and I will leave your nest alone. Been working for 3 years now.

scottb

Back to top Go down

Post by oldgoaly on Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:12 pm

59 here and I'm 300 miles south of you! yes the smell is so nice, but we too have so many birds, and she put the feeder near where the line used to be! We had the windows open in December more than we have all of this year, though it wasn't a terribly cold winter it seems to want to hang on so long!
oldgoaly
oldgoaly

Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2012-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Johnson on Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:35 pm

My wife hung out her laundry this week and then told one of the young girls at work that she was using her solar powered clothes dryer. The girl could not figure out that it was a clothes line all day and kept asking everyone how it worked. They all finally told her at the end of the day.
Steve Johnson
Steve Johnson

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:45 pm

I use my electric dryer, and, sheets to ad a fresh smell.
I'm happy.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4455

Back to top Go down

Post by oldgoaly on Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:18 am

Bill,
have you tried a used dryer sheet as speaker reinforcement material?
oldgoaly
oldgoaly

Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2012-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:33 am

No, though I imagine it would work.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4455

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:42 pm

I have used dryer sheets to get rid of moldy smells in my antique radio books. Very Happy
Resistance is Futile
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 921

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Johnson on Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:23 pm

Resistance is Futile wrote:I have used dryer sheets to get rid of moldy smells in my antique radio books. Very Happy

I use the microwave.
Steve Johnson
Steve Johnson

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:08 pm

I will try that, Thanks. No hanging the books over the clothesline any More. LOL
Resistance is Futile
Resistance is Futile

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Johnson on Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:22 am

Only do it for a few seconds. You will need to adjust the time depending on the thickness of the book. Too long and it will burn.
And do it when the wife's not home.
Steve Johnson
Steve Johnson

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:38 am

Resistance is Futile wrote:I have used dryer sheets to get rid of moldy smells in my antique radio books. Very Happy

I love the smell of moldy books in the morning. You know, one time i went to my shop, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked outside. I couldn't smell anything else even a flower. The smell, you know that mold smell, in the whole shop. Seriously though on the thought of clotheslines if anyone needs to make one here is the best setup I have seen. I used it when we built ours. Get two pieces of angle iron for the top and two good size tell pipes for the posts. Weld the angle iron to the pipe to make a clothesline "T" . Then Drill four holes in each "T" top for the lines. I used three "T" and the middle "T" has holes larger. I then bolt one if the eye hooks on one end and fasten one to the other end with a turnbuckle attached. I then put a steel wire across and use the turnbuckle to tighten the line. I never had any problems with it. I have seen too many rotted posts and clotheslines down. My parents did that and I think since about 1974 they only had one set of lines replaced.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1392
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:50 am

Willy, that is basically what I have. I have another pipe welded across to make the "tee" where you have the angle iron. I used the steel cable with a clear plastic covering so the cloths don't end up with rust on them.

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:11 pm

I use a clothes line for all my clothes from the time it's warm enough until it's too cold. Sometimes I might throw jeans in the dryer if they're taking too long to dry. My sheets are usually dry in about 15 minutes.

I also use an electric lawn mower and electric trimmer.
terrydec
terrydec

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:48 pm

OH! Solar powered electric goats? LOL
Resistance is Futile
Resistance is Futile

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:50 pm

My grandmother used to multitask with her chotheslines. She would dry her herbs and garlic cloves on them. She would also secure her selected chicken on it and behead it to dress it for supper. I had a couple of shirts with some wild brown polka dots on them, from not getting far enough away. Shocked
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4468
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:05 pm

I remember my grandmother on laundry day. This was before they had electricity. She'd make a big fire under a big iron pot. She'd pour lye, not lye soap,lye. She'd swoosh everything around with a big paddle. Then she'd pull the clothes out and slap them against a big flat rock, (I'm not making this up), before hanging them on the line.

Another memory is Saturday night. That was bath night for church the next day. If you've seen the beginning of "The Hunger Games" it was exactly like that. We bathed once a week in a big washtub. If we were lucky some water had been heated on the stove; but most often it was just a hot rock in the water.

I REALLY hated summer on the farm. But with age comes a certain perspective and now I realize I learned a lot of good things on the farm. Things like respect for nature, how to make a whistle from a willow tree- and how to run like hell if Grandpa reached for the razor strop. "Cause that meant you were in for a damn good likkin'
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:25 pm

My Grandma was the punisher. She'd simply say "Go cut me a switch!" and there wasn't any runnin' away, either. She had a pussywillow bush that provided the arsenal from which I'd have to select the instrument. Funny I'd never rate a whippin' when the blossoms were on.
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4468
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:33 pm

My mom Planted a willow tree. Looking back I think my mom might have had a sadistic streak.

One time she was beatin' me an my brother with a switch. All of a sudden I started laughing- I have NO idea why. Then my brother started laughing too. We were laughing and she was beating. The more we laughed the harder she hit, and the harder she hit the more we laughed. I think it probably stopped when we were all too exhausted to go on.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by scottb on Wed May 01, 2013 10:00 am

My Mom was helping her mother in law do laundry and was hanging cloths on the line. Well she got in big trouble for hanging the laundry wrong!!!
The sheets are hung on the outside line and underware is hung on the inside lines so that nobody can see them!!

scottb

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Wed May 01, 2013 1:05 pm

I'm getting ready to hang my clothes just as soon as they finish washing. Solar power at work! cheers
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum